Metals

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Metals
« on: 8 Jan 2004, 10:18 am »
Hello Brian, Back on Dec. 24 you said .." I also plan to have a pair of my new Metals available for demo as well." Is this demo available now ? :)

Brian Bunge

Metals
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2004, 02:22 pm »
They're not ready just yet.  I posted pictures yesterday of the figured cherry pair that I recently finished.  I'm using these in my main system right now and don't have much plans of letting them out of my sight since the veneer is so nice.

I do have another pair ready to veneer though.  I'll be using maple veneer and plan to try a high gloss finish on them.  I hope to have them ready in a couple of weeks.  If you're interested I can put your name first on the list of auditioners.

In case you haven't seen the pics of the figured cherry yet I'll post them here.

LeonO

Metals
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2004, 11:21 pm »
Wow! Those look amazing.  Of course my 5 Metals look pretty darn good in a Walnut finish. :)
Time seems to slip away too quickly whenever I have planned to write my detailed review of the Metals, maybe this weekend.  However, here's a summary of my impressions:

- These speakers have a lot of sound for such a small speaker.  Without seeing them, their sound could easily be mistaken for a full range floor standing speaker.

- The Metals have an exciting sound, with slightly aggressive edge.  Ideal for Rock, Blues and Acoustic Jazz.  Audiophiles looking for a dainty sounding speaker for chamber music should probably consider the GR Research models, which Brian will gladly build for you (at many times the price) :)

- The Metals like quality power.  They are not very efficient, but sound very good a decent amp.  My 5x80 watt NAD receiver allows them to fill my medium sized bedroom very nicely.

- The highs are tightly damped.  Not as airy as some silk tweeters, but cymbals and percussion instruments sound real and convey a sense of excitement.  However, they are  by no means bright or harsh like a horn.

- The bass is surprisingly strong & tight for such a small speaker.  Upright basses sound very realistic.  In my room, their wall mounted positions block the rear ports somewhat and the bass drops off around 70hz.  Even so, they sound as if they go much deeper.  The ports are tuned to 55hz (I believe), so with more breathing room I would expect even more extension.

- I have not used them much for HT, but the front stage was virtually seemless in my few 5.1 movie demo's.

- In a small to medium sized room, two Metals without a sub are more than enough for a very pleasant listening experience.  While 5 Metals & a 12 inch RAD sub may be overkill for a bedroom, they sure are a lot of fun. :):):)

Hope my comments are helpful to you.

Leon

JoshK

Metals
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2004, 06:52 pm »
How much are the metals?  They look like speakers I'd like to use for my HT system.

Brian Bunge

Metals
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2004, 07:04 pm »
Josh,

The Metals are $350/pr. in oak, maple, cherry, and walnut.  So other veneers will be the same price as well but I'll check on a per customer basis.

Stained/dyed finishes are a 15% upcharge.  We'll also do some package deals with around 5-10% off if you order 5 Metals and a similarly finished sub.

LeonO

Metals
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2004, 02:45 pm »
If anyone is going to be in the Western MA area, you are welcome to demo the Metals & RAD 12" Sub with Rhythmic Amp & Driver.

Lately, I've been enjoying enjoying acoustic jazz and blues on the Metals.  They have a very intimate sound in which guitars, vocals and percussion present themselves in very distinct layers.  I usually use the NAD "EARS" mode which is their proprietary surround mode - more subtle than Dolby Pro Logic.  And of course, the Metals still ROCK!

Leon

Andrew JC

Metals
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2004, 03:18 pm »
LeonO I sent you a PM

LeonO

Metals
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2004, 11:29 pm »
I've just checked out Brian's updated website.  I think his description of the Metals is right on target. :)

A couple weeks ago I switched from an NAD (761) receiver to a Marantz (7200) and found that I really like its slightly warmer sound with my Metals.  They are not quite as agressive, and strings and piano sound much more natural.  (And, Yes they still rock!)  Unfortunately, the Marantz has its crossover fixed at 100hz which does not allow the Metals fully demonstrate their strength in the mid bass region.  On the other hand, it forced me to spend more time calibrating the system with the 12" sub that Brian built for me.  Since I was running the sub quite hot, I turned it down.  WOW!!  It blends very seamlessly even up at 100hz.  I continue to be impressed with my RAD package.   :P

I've been so pleased with the speakers that I've ordered yet another receiver just to match them.  I think HK's Logic 7 and very flexible bass management will help to get the most out this 5.1 music system.

Cheers!  Leon