Qobuz sucks. Unusable.

RoadTripper

Re: Qobuz sucks. Unusable.
« Reply #40 on: 6 Sep 2019, 05:45 pm »
Another one, just now being streamed in my system, is Carmen, Simon Rattle, Warner Classics International. Absolutely being ruined by Qobuz. Sound-wise it is spectacular. But the presentation/implementation by Qobuz is suitable for hell. Really.

drmike

« Reply #41 on: 7 Sep 2019, 11:33 am »
anyone have a contact number for qobuz? paid for studio for a year can't get it to work.
thanks
drmike

bacobits1

« Reply #42 on: 7 Sep 2019, 01:44 pm »
E mail them they are quite responsive within 24 hours.
They have representatives on board on the Computer Audiophile forum too.

mitch stl

« Reply #43 on: 7 Sep 2019, 04:13 pm »
Roadtripper - I have Qobuz and ran down the Simon Rattle version of Bizet's Carmen you mentioned above.

With the Squeezebox Touch on my main system, it plays perfectly. Smooth, gapless transitions track to track, exactly as one would want.

However, if I play the same album using the Qubuz player option using the Chrome web browser on my Windows 10 system, it gives the unwanted pause or gap between tracks - very annoying and unacceptable as you've noted.

So, whether the performance is acceptable or not seems to depend on the hardware and player software used.

RoadTripper

« Reply #44 on: 7 Sep 2019, 06:35 pm »
Thanks. I'm using a third option. I have the the Qobuz app installed on my Macbook Pro. At least it's good to know it is possible to get it done well. What are the details on the SB Touch? What does it mean to have it "on" your main system? Thanks in advance.

mitch stl

« Reply #45 on: 7 Sep 2019, 09:25 pm »
The Squeezebox Touch is the only source of music on my main system. I use the Touch's digital output into my Bel Canto integrated amp.

My own music is stored on a Vortexbox PC in the basement which run the Logitech Media Server (LMS) program which streams to the Squeezebox. It has played gapless since I first started using it years ago. The Squeezebox can also play internet radio, using the mysqueezebox.com web site. There are also apps available that you can install on your LMS server for Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, Deezer and similar streaming services. I simply installed the Qobuz app on the Vortexbox and put in my logon info and I was off to the races.

The Squeezebox line was discontinued a few years ago, but mine works so well -- and I like the interface through my tablet and PC -- that I have no urge to change to anything else.

mitch stl

« Reply #46 on: 10 Sep 2019, 02:08 am »
Concerning the audible gap when playing back albums that should be seamless, I submitted a question to Qobuz suppor and heard back from them today. They confirmed this is software dependent.

When I use the web player within Chrome, I get  the unwanted gaps in playback. However, if I use the Qobuz Player program for Windows, the music streams gapless, as one would want.

Therefore, it is obviously an issue of using the correct software if playing back on a PC, or if using dedicated hardware, checking to make sure the gear and its firmware support gapless playback.

RoadTripper

« Reply #47 on: 10 Sep 2019, 02:03 pm »
Wow! This is great news. Just to confirm, you're saying that if I had a windows box and installed the Qobuz app on it, my issues would go away? I use Macbook exclusively but I will gladly get a windows box to solve this problem.

Do you know if any windows box (cheap laptop) would suffice as long as there is enough room/horsepower?

mitch stl

« Reply #48 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:03 pm »
My experience is that good audio doesn't require much in the way of computer horsepower, especially if the computer isn't doing anything else while you're playing music.

Another consideration is that Qobuz has a dedicated player app for iphones and ipads. You might want to check out that option.

In either case, you will have the issue of how to get the stream off of the device and over to your stereo. Lots and lots of options there, depending on your specific setup. Maybe a friend has a laptop or other device you can borrow for experimentation before you run out and spend money.

Good luck!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #49 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:19 pm »
All these computer concerns go away once you stream via something like a Raspberry Pi (Allo Digione in my case) The SQ is far better than a Squeezebox Touch. Don't know how it compares to other sources, but no streaming glitches, that's for sure.

Shakey

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #50 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:35 pm »
All these computer concerns go away once you stream via something like a Raspberry Pi (Allo Digione in my case) The SQ is far better than a Squeezebox Touch. Don't know how it compares to other sources, but no streaming glitches, that's for sure.

Shakey

I looked at that, but I didn't see a way to use it wirelessly. 

ricmon

« Reply #51 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:39 pm »

Not sure which Pi you have but it should have Wi-Fi but I think all models come with Wi-Fi.

The Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ extends the Raspberry Pi 3 range into the A+ board format.

Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.4GHz
512MB LPDDR2 SDRAM
2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2/BLE
Extended 40-pin GPIO header
Full-size HDMI
Single USB 2.0 ports
CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi Camera Module
DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi Touch Display
4-pole stereo output and composite video port
Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
5V/2.5A DC power input

Shakeydeal

« Reply #52 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:59 pm »

You can use it wirelessly. But other than convenience, there's no reason you should. The improvement in sound quality when you hard wire any streamer to your network cannot be understated.

Shakey

Tyson

« Reply #53 on: 10 Sep 2019, 07:38 pm »
You can use it wirelessly. But other than convenience, there's no reason you should. The improvement in sound quality when you hard wire any streamer to your network cannot be understated.

Shakey

I don't have an ethernet port near my upstairs (2nd) system.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 2019, 07:40 pm »

Tyson

« Reply #55 on: 10 Sep 2019, 07:41 pm »

mitch stl

« Reply #56 on: 10 Sep 2019, 09:37 pm »

Shakey
I've got a Squeezebox Touch and a Raspberry Pi. To me they sound the same when the digital out is fed into the same DAC. I happen to like the way the Touch looks in my system and the nice album art display that shows on the screen.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Qobuz DOESN'T suck. VERY usable (:
« Reply #57 on: 11 Sep 2019, 04:20 am »
I've got a Squeezebox Touch and a Raspberry Pi. To me they sound the same when the digital out is fed into the same DAC. I happen to like the way the Touch looks in my system and the nice album art display that shows on the screen.
I also have a Rasp Pi and SBT.  Qobuz works well on both for me.

FreddyJ

« Reply #58 on: 11 Sep 2019, 10:23 am »
Just got myself a Qobuz trial as trying to get back into things. I use Tidal at the mo so looking forward to seeing out it stacks up. Still new at all of this so maybe popping in here A LOT for advice. Going to try it with my iMac. Wish me luck.