BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

skunark

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #200 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:56 pm »
James, does the last.fm work with the BDP-1.. I thought that was an online radio streaming service?   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #201 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:08 pm »
James, does the last.fm work with the BDP-1.. I thought that was an online radio streaming service?

Hi,

Yes it works for me in terms of supplying me with the artist info - I have never tried the radio streaming part :scratch:

james

Alphonse

« Reply #202 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:44 am »
This comment raises a couple of questions I have.

1. Can the BDP-1 somehow accommodate streaming radio stations now or in the future?
2. For those with BDP-1 now what do you do for streaming radio?

I am currently using the Apple TV2 as an interim solution until I get a music player or server.

On my short list besides BDP-1 + BDA-1 are the Linn Majik, PS Audio PWD + Bridge card and Meridian Media Core 200
The Majik, PWD, and MC200 all incorporate streaming radio.

Other suggestions?

Al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #203 on: 26 Feb 2011, 02:08 am »
Set up Screen for BDP-1 on GNOME Music Player on PC:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #204 on: 26 Feb 2011, 02:35 am »
Music Player Minion - BDP-1 Setup:

james

Napalm

« Reply #205 on: 27 Feb 2011, 04:21 am »
The missing screen:

Nap.  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #206 on: 27 Feb 2011, 12:16 pm »
The missing screen:

Nap.  :lol:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

james

terrycym

« Reply #207 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

james
But doesn't the controls in this screen make no difference on a BDP-1?

terrycym

« Reply #208 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:12 pm »
Just come back from the Bristol Audio Show where the UK distributor, PMC, were domoing two BDP-1s.
I spoke to one of the PMC guys and he seemed very knowledgeable concerning how to use the player.
But I reckon he could do with some help connecting to the attached thumb drives from a networked PC.
That isn't covered in the manual.
I also spoke to the guy on the Chord cable stand who thought the unit was great when he visited the PMC factory last week.
Paul Messenger of HiFi Critic magazine seemed enthusiastic too.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #209 on: 27 Feb 2011, 10:30 pm »
Just come back from the Bristol Audio Show where the UK distributor, PMC, were domoing two BDP-1s.
I spoke to one of the PMC guys and he seemed very knowledgeable concerning how to use the player.
But I reckon he could do with some help connecting to the attached thumb drives from a networked PC.
That isn't covered in the manual.
I also spoke to the guy on the Chord cable stand who thought the unit was great when he visited the PMC factory last week.
Paul Messenger of HiFi Critic magazine seemed enthusiastic too.

Hi Terry,

What was the system they had setup?

james

saveloy

« Reply #210 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:44 am »
Hi Terry,

james

James,

They had 2 rooms.  Both rooms had identical Bryston electronics, albeit in different colours: BDP-1/BP26/4B SST2.
And PMC Fact 3 standmounts & PB1i Signature floorstanders.

I was impressed - and I placed my order!  Which shall be with me in 10 days. 

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #211 on: 28 Feb 2011, 01:14 am »
James,

They had 2 rooms.  Both rooms had identical Bryston electronics, albeit in different colours: BDP-1/BP26/4B SST2.
And PMC Fact 3 standmounts & PB1i Signature floorstanders.

I was impressed - and I placed my order!  Which shall be with me in 10 days. 

Kyri

Thanks - What did you order?

james

terrycym

« Reply #212 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:38 am »
Hi Terry,

james

They had the DAC, Pre-amp and power amps and PMC speakers but didn't take too much notice as I was only interested in the BDP-1
Ask Tom from PMC, he'll know

saveloy

« Reply #213 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:03 pm »
James,

The BDP-1, of course!

Kyri

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #214 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:52 pm »
...does the BDP-1 support random-play :roll:??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #215 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:11 pm »
...does the BDP-1 support random-play :roll:??

al.

Hi al,

It will depend on the interface Player you use - Minion, IPoD, Gnome, MPDroid etc. will :thumb:

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #216 on: 28 Feb 2011, 07:31 pm »
I have had the BDP-1 for a month now. The hardware side is fine (superior to USB/SPDIF computer streaming), but the user interface is rather poor making the BDP-1 a highly recommended product at this time rather dubious. I have a rather large music library of high resolution audio and redbook CD's. All music's stored with FLAC compression on 2 TB WD Caviar Black or Barracudda XT SATA NTSF formated hard disks (the drives hold idential information - redundancy is for back-up). The current library of music is 780 GB. I was hoping to use my iPad, but the Bryston MAX does not allow for scrolling of files on the iPad. So I use a MacBook Air running FireFox and have experimented with Minion, MPod, Theremin, and Bryston MAX. I like have album art show with the song or album being played, and in that respect the Bryston MAX is best. Those that link to outside avenues such as Amazon or Last FM fail to show album art about 25% of the time. The Bryston MAX client interface fails on the iPad, is horribly sluggish, constantly  refreshing, and will occasionally freeze needing a reboot. There is no ability to search and scroll by artist or album. With large files, this is essential. Theremin has a clean interface and loads a file on the computer of the music library. It is quick and responsive and allows for a variety of search options. It fails is album artwork and refressing the database after adding new music files crashes the program (the work around is to delete the Thermin file of the music library - it will create a new one upon opening the program). Minion is good and similar to Theremin (but no artwork). MPoD is good, however the same problem with artwork. The upcoming MPaD version may be very good. My problem with the BDP-1 is implementation of the user interface. This is so critical for this type of product. Users are left with undesirable lesser of the evil options. This makes music listening a rather arduous rather than enjoyable experience. The Bryston MAX client needs to be more like the Theremin library and load a copy of the library onto the computer for speed. One should be able to edit playlists (delete a song). I find with the MAX it is very easy to inadvertently duplicate a song and when this happens deep into a playlist, one needs to start over. The album art feature of MAX is great and should stay. The interface needs to be searchable by song, artist, album, genre, year, or by album art. The occasional freezing of MAX is not acceptable. Also, one should have the ability to return to the spot of departure (lets say the M's instead of have to restart at the top of the music library list). Unless I am missing something, the BDP-1 is a tweaky piece of gear sue to poorly implemented interface. I really like to remote interfaces for MediaMonkey and SqeezeCenter - they made discovery of "lost" gems a pleasure and a time  of rediscovery. The advantages of the BDP-1 over computer or server based streaming are enormous and its hardware performance is outstanding. The user interface leaves me cold and frustrated. I hope there are plans soon to have an interface than makes discovery of ones music collection enjoyable. The interface to the end user will trump all technology otherwise developed.

On a side note, the BDP-1 connects to my Classe SSP-800 via S/PDIF. The Classe SSP-800 has an info screen reporting data input. With high resolution files (up to 192 kHz), it often reports 48 kHz. This is not the case with high resolution feeds from my Classe CDT-300 via S/PDIF or the Oppo BDP-93 via HDMI. I called Bryston in regards to this, and was told to expect a return call with some insight on this. A week later - no call returned. any ideas out there on what might be occurring?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 28 Feb 2011, 07:44 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi Ned,

Yes it sounds like you would be better off with a computer based system using Media Monkey or other Music Players that offer a lot of the features you're after.  By the way MAX will scroll on your iPad but you have to use TWO fingers as it is a window within a window.

I realize that the BDP-1 is not for everyone and that the priority for us was state of the art music playback which for some in not enough. It is first and foremost a PLAYER. The advantage of the MINI and MAX is they use a web-browser so lots of products can interface - the disadvantage is they are slower than specific MPD Apps that are much quicker to respond. We are certainly working on making the MINI and MAX more user accesable but the original purpose of the MINI and MAX was to provide our customers with a back-up interface rather than re-inventing another music player because there are so many new music player interfaces coming out on the market - example the new IPAD interface for Linux MPD- is superb. http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpad/

As for the Oppo as well as other players we have looked at the SPDIF is limited to 48K whereas the HDMI can do 192.  I can tell you the BDP-1 has no issues with outputting 192k

james
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2011, 08:46 pm by James Tanner »

terrycym

« Reply #218 on: 28 Feb 2011, 08:08 pm »
James,

Another unit I saw at the Bristol show over the wekend was the Meridian Sooloos.
I played with their iPAD interface and it was rather nice, to say the least.
May I STRONGLY recommend that you get your Canadian Beavers to look at the Meridian iPAD interface when they come to creating a new release?

Terry

James Tanner

• Facilitator