changing speaker cables with amp powered up RM9 mk2

jig50

changing speaker cables with amp powered up RM9 mk2
« on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:51 pm »
I have been comparing 2 different speakers lately and have been disconnecting and then reconnecting the cables to the other set of speakers with the amp powered up. Barring shorting the plus and minus, is there any possible harm that can come to the amp from a quick change? My Golden tube amps specifically say in the owners manual that biasing of the amps is done with no load (no speaker) connected and the biasing process takes at least ten minutes. I typically swap speaker connections in less than 30 seconds with the RM9mk2. So far no issues, but why take a chance. I just hate to power off and power up if I don't have to. Hopefully Roger or someone who really knows can reply.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: changing speaker cables with amp powered up RM9 mk2
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:43 am »
Any well designed amplifier can be played without a load at reasonable levels. My amps don't mind a bit. The statement about bias in your Golden Tube manual does not apply to my amps. Have fun hot-swapping speakers, I do it all the time. On the other hand, hot-swapping inputs is a dangerous practice because the hot hits before the ground and loud noises often occurr.