Celtic recommendations?

brj

Celtic recommendations?
« on: 27 Sep 2019, 03:56 pm »
Hello all.

I couldn't tell you what triggered it (probably some movie soundtrack, if I had to guess), but I've found myself listening to those few Celtic CDs in my inventory more often lately, and I'd like to expand my options.  I tried looking through Amazon's recommended lists, but Enya and Celtic Woman have been so prolific that it takes you a few pages before you get to anything different.  Any strong, well recorded recommendations, from traditional folk through more popular fair?

I seem to be biasing toward the more upbeat, acoustic oriented options, but I'm not really familiar enough with the genre to narrow down my preferences in an informed manner yet.

Thanks!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Celtic recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2019, 04:15 pm »
NightNoise was a popular group of the Windham Hill artists.  Most of their catalogue was well produced and of good quality.
This is typical of their sound   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeP1pSUELFE&list=PLX77p99rRwPwaOTEm0i_92rpt4hn15kJc&index=4

I have a copy of their "A Parting Tide" and still enjoy it on occasion. 

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2019, 04:56 pm »
My favorite has always been The Chieftains. They have dozens of albums. I have yet to find one I did not like.

Loreena McKennitt is very good, too. The Book of Secrets is fantastic.

Martin

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2019, 05:20 pm »
A second for Chieftains in the traditional vein. There are couple of theirs with Van Morrison & Roger Daltrey that are excellent as well. Clannad is favorite of mine. Their early work is traditional, later more modern. If you've seen Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis, their music is present in the movie. Another group in that genre is DeDannan. Most all of their work I've heard is in the traditional area. If you search for similar groups it should lead you to some other options. Happy listening.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2019, 07:30 pm »
brj,

Please include Dougie Mclean, Silly Wizard, Dervish, and Lunasa in your Celtic explorations.  You won't be disappointed.  They all played to packed houses here in the Hartford area.  The University of Hartford radio station, WWUH has a wonderful Celtic host.  Their music can be streamed for two weeks after it airs if you go to their website for much more in this rich genre.  What was that movie that came out many years ago that stared Al Pacino(I think) with an Irish accent?  It started out in Boston on a freighter in the harbor...The background music was Celtic like Enya...good memory just short.

Best Regards,

Blu

rpf

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2019, 08:06 pm »
The Van Morrison/Chieftains album "Irish Heartbeat" is a classic - and not just within the Celtic genre but of music making in general.

The Dubliners were the greatest traditional Irish band.

If you like traditional Celtic music then you may also like the English/Scottish traditional music of The Watersons, Waterson/Carthy, and Blue Murder (with members of  Waterson/Carthy) groups, particularly the last.

BobRex

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2019, 09:28 pm »
A second for Chieftains in the traditional vein. There are couple of theirs with Van Morrison & Roger Daltrey that are excellent as well. Clannad is favorite of mine. Their early work is traditional, later more modern. If you've seen Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis, their music is present in the movie. Another group in that genre is DeDannan. Most all of their work I've heard is in the traditional area. If you search for similar groups it should lead you to some other options. Happy listening.

Wow, someone else that likes early Clannad (Fauim is a favorite) and DeDannan.  Add The Bothy Band, Planxty, Alan Stivell, Boys of the Lough, Battlefield Band, maybe a little Pentangle (not truly Celtic, but they mine the same vein).  If I got off my arse and looked, I could probably find others.

sounddog

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:27 am »
I absolutely agree with Blu99Zoomer’s recommendation of Lunasa and Dervish. We hear a lot of Celtic music performances in Asheville and those groups are two of our very favorites. I’d also recommend Solas and The Alt. Not as authentic but Rebecca Pidgeon’s album, The Four Marys,” is good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2019, 03:17 am »
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2019, 08:06 am by FullRangeMan »

brj

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2019, 07:51 am »
Wow... looks like I have homework!  Thanks all - I'll start taking a look through your suggestions over the weekend!

ric

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2019, 01:59 pm »
Hi, I would agree with the Chieftains, but for myself I prefer them without guest artists.
Never was a Loreena McKennett fan.
My personal faves are Susan McKeown (Bushes and Briars, Lowlands)
For cello, fiddle duet try Alastair Fraser and Natalie Haas
Also try Swedish group Vasen--fantastic musicians!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2019, 09:25 pm »
Wow, someone else that likes early Clannad (Fauim is a favorite) and DeDannan.  Add The Bothy Band, Planxty, Alan Stivell, Boys of the Lough, Battlefield Band, maybe a little Pentangle (not truly Celtic, but they mine the same vein).  If I got off my arse and looked, I could probably find others.

Yes, for good bit.  :thumb: I know the names (above), but not their music. Any recommendations for 'starters' ? I'd put Pentangle on the traditional/blues w/maybe a touch of rock traditional English folk. Fairport Convention on the rock side of traditional English folk, which is another band well worth mentioning if the OP is not familiar with them. Can't forget to mention Steeleye Span in the traditional English folk-folk/rock genre as well. Though none of the 3 are Celtic, they all do traditional folk in their own ways.

Wow... looks like I have homework!  Thanks all - I'll start taking a look through your suggestions over the weekend!

For Clannad I'd say Clannad 2, Dulaman, or Fuaim would be a good start on their early works. Sirius & Anam are fine examples of their later work. De Dannan I only have 3, so A Jacket of Batteries, Hibernian Rhapsody, & Celtic Collection are all pretty good. Happy hunting.  :thumb: