Snell Type E/III Speaker Pair

tonyjack

Re: Snell Type E/III Speaker Pair
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:22 am »
The Audio Note speakers  don't really sound like the Snell E III's and I don't think the designer wants them to. He (Peter ?) has basically said he didn't care for the direction Snell took when Kevin Voecks took over. The basics of the speaker I would imagine is the same but the AN's are another animal. I think the Snells are more of a meat and potatoes type of speaker that don't really make a fuss. Everyone that's heard mine seems to really be taken with them. They don't really do an audiophile thing, but instead just play music in a way that you can just enjoy and not notice what's happening with the presentation. My speakers are just like  the one's for sale, same finish as well. Sometimes a speaker like that is a nice departure from the audiophile speakers which I have (sort of!) and love as well (Vandersteen/Maggie). I also have some old DCM TF 400's that are also the kind of speakers that you can just listen to for shall I say, just the music. I love them all really and that's the beauty of it. If I had the $$$ I'd like to have a pair of the AN's just for comparison, but $16,000  for loudspeakers is not going to happen for me. Thanks again for all the info. Enjoy.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:46 pm »
I guess this means that you won't be building me a pair then.....  :D

Just kidding. There are plenty of people that don't like Audio Note or their products. Sometimes I wish I were one of them. (My wallet sure does.  :oops:)

Yeah, you're correct, I won't be diving in to building replicas of AN's, which are replicas of Snells, it's all just too confusing for me.   :wink:

And don't think I don't like Audio Note UK, very nice gentlemen and their other room driving Cathedral speakers was fabulous.  And the AN-E's sounded lovely, just my personal preference at that price point goes elsewhere.  I have some disagreements on things that aren't pertinent here, but their products sound very good.

tonyjack, it wasn't Peter Snell that disagreed with Kevin Voecks, he was dead, and that death was the reason Kevin was brought in.  Dr. William Osgood was Peter's partner/associate and took over the company at that point, it was he who brought in Kevin as chief designer.  Kevin took the line far away from Peter Snell's original ideas, most notably with the Type A, and it was the original Snell customer base that rebelled.  I think he was bringing the line into the 21st century, however I'm a heretic.  Osgood was not a strong presence and mostly grimaced on the sidelines as Snell became a home theater line under Kevin's direction.  The sale of the company ended both of their terms of service at Snell.

I agree Types E thru K and J, a lesser extent Type D's, are middle of the road everyman speakers that still wear very nicely even today.  However Types A, B, B Minor, and early C are still some of the finest speakers around bringing relatively high prices on the used market. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2012, 05:58 am »
I think that tony was referring to Peter Qvotrup......

tonyjack

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:46 am »
Yes that's right,Quietearth. I couldn't remember his last name. He's made it clear in some forums on AA about how he feels about the Snell sound/design after Peter Snell passed and Voecks took over.I would imagine it's only natural for who ever is in charge to put his/her own stamp on things, which is what Voecks did, like it or not. I remember talking to a Snell worker when inquiring about new drivers for my E/III's and he said that those speakers were the favorite's with the workers at the factory. This was at the time they were going to move to Binghamton NY and be part of the McIntosh family. I think it was D&M Holdings? Is Snell still in business? I lost track of them after that deal fell through.
I never heard the Snell A model, but have been told my more than a few, that they can still compete with many of today's top designs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2012, 05:56 pm »
I think that tony was referring to Peter Qvotrup......

I see said the blind man as he fell in the ditch.  Regardless, we all agree a big disconnect after Mr. Snell passed.

I remember talking to a Snell worker when inquiring about new drivers for my E/III's and he said that those speakers were the favorite's with the workers at the factory. This was at the time they were going to move to Binghamton NY and be part of the McIntosh family. I think it was D&M Holdings? Is Snell still in business? I lost track of them after that deal fell through.

Ha!  Maybe there's only one guy manning the phones, but the gentleman at Snell said the same thing to me when I ordered a new woofer, although in reference to the Series IV.  From memory here, but I think he said he worked HiFi retail before going to Snell and sold a zillion Type E's, which were his favorite design, being the best compromise of price and performance.

Snell Acoustic still has a website and lists one retail dealer within 50 miles of myself and 3 more installer type outlets.  But when I called the dealer he clearly stated they were out of business and no new models were available, but parts could still be ordered.  He seemed quite desperate to sell the one remaining used Snell Illusion A7 he had on the floor, retailed for $50k and only $18k now, such a deal. 

colekaye1

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2012, 10:29 pm »
@Letitroll98

Yeah, I bought a whole bunch of stereo stuff for $200 including the Snells. I didn't realize they were worth so much and I could use the extra cash.

They are for sale if anyone is interested.

Check out the link below:
http://www.snell.no/forum/index.php/topic,2180.0.html

Robz64

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2020, 03:25 am »
hello,  can anyone give me some buying advice on the Snell e3's. thx

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2020, 11:21 am »
I would suggest reading the thread, which has a plethora of advice and information, then if you have any specific questions ask them.

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2020, 06:48 pm »
I would put in a good word for Type E/II - they are quite similar to the E/III, and I believe Peter Snell designed the E/II. Best mod: a bundle of plastic drinking straws cut to the same length as the port - tape around the bundle, and leave a tab of tape sticking out, so you can pull them out, if need be. This flattens the peak of the bass the port contributes, and extends it lower a few hertz, too.

Lancelot

« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:06 am »

I bought a new pair of Snell E111's back in the day. A good speaker that I enjoyed for years but their biggest limitation is that they don't do the  soundstaging thing ( especially depth.) it depends if this is important to you or not. I bought a new pair of PSB Stratus Silver i's in 2001 and they were (are) significantly better in every way ( more transparent and disappear as sound sources.)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2020, 11:30 am »
The Series IV does a much better job of soundstaging than the previous series.  Kevin redesigned the cabinet to present a much smaller front baffle looking like other modern designes.