How to fix iTunes dupes, exclamation marks, and other fun stuff.

Crimson

Re: can't find songs!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:09 pm »
It's definitely not the former, being as you have an external drive.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: can't find songs!
« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:27 pm »
It's definitely not the former, being as you have an external drive.

Thanks for the thread name change.  It's not fun!

If I use a different directory name, will this affect anything on backup (SuperDuper!) or anything else?  I was trying to put it like it was when I started but thought it was the former.

I'm not at the confuzer now so I'm going by memory.

The left side on the top are the drive(s).

Then under that is applications, users....

I thought I had to click on my name then the HD then music, itunes....

Would you mind posting a screen shot of what you have if you use an external drive?   :dunno:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Crimson

Why is when I point the directory to my external is starts to add to library then has a message that my Mac Mini HD is too full?  This is really not making sense. 

Please help me!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Can anyone help?
I've got the music drive all done now. 

I'm getting a message "library can't be saved your drive is full".  It's says my Mac Mini HD is full.  How is that?  Does it store the artwork on it?

srb

I don't know if storing artwork is your problem, but my understanding on how and where artwork is stored is:

If the artwork is downloaded automatically from the Internet while ripping a CD, the artwork is stored in the iTunes database on your OS/programs/user profile drive.

However, if you edit the Song Info and simply cut and re-paste the artwork on the Artwork tab or if you drag artwork in, it will instead be stored within the song file (filetype permitting, i.e. .WAV artwork will always be stored in the iTunes database.)

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I don't know if storing artwork is your problem, but my understanding on how and where artwork is stored is:

If the artwork is downloaded automatically from the Internet while ripping a CD, the artwork is stored in the iTunes database on your OS/programs/user profile drive.

However, if you edit the Song Info and simply cut and re-paste the artwork on the Artwork tab or if you drag artwork in, it will instead be stored within the song file (filetype permitting, i.e. .WAV artwork will always be stored in the iTunes database.)

Steve

Hmm.  Does this mean that I need a bigger HD for my OS?  It says I have room still.  I have a 120GB SSD and it was fine before all of this.

Crimson

Every time iTunes is started with the external disconnected, iTunes will default to your local HD, even if you've set the path to the external drive.

That said, and from what you're describing, it sounds like the library path has defaulted to the internal drive. ITunes is trying to copy your library over from the external HD because you've enabled the option to keep your library organized in Preferences (which is what you should do), and your library location is local. You're filling up your local HD. You need to delete those files on your local HD, reset your library path to the external (with the external plugged in), and then use Add to library to rebuild the database file.

This is not an artwork issue.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Every time iTunes is started with the external disconnected, iTunes will default to your local HD, even if you've set the path to the external drive.

That said, and from what you're describing, it sounds like the library path has defaulted to the internal drive. ITunes is trying to copy your library over from the external HD because you've enabled the option to keep your library organized in Preferences (which is what you should do), and your library location is local. You're filling up your local HD. You need to delete those files on your local HD, reset your library path to the external (with the external plugged in), and then use Add to library to rebuild the database file.

The external drive has always been plugged in.

In preferences > Advanced I have Keep Itunes Media folder organized and Copy Files to to Itunes Meda folder when adding to library both checked

The iTunes Media folder location is this
/Volumes/Iomega HDD (music)  This is my external HD

My SSD in the mini has 66GB available.  I've deleted what was on it under users > my name > Music > iTunes

Now what?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Do I need to go File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files ?

srb

My SSD in the mini has 66GB available.  I've deleted what was on it under users > my name > Music > iTunes

Did you just delete all of the the Artist/Album folders or did you delete everthing under iTunes, including the .xml .itb and .itl library files, where some of the artwork may be stored?

I don't have a Mac, and I don't want to presume everything is exactly the same.  If there is another Mac user who would like to help you (and you trust them!), I have used TeamViewer for remote troubleshooting and desktop control.  It is free for personal use.
http://www.teamviewer.com/download/

You don't have to actually install it if you don't want to, and can simply run it from the downloaded .exe.  There are Windows, Mac and Linux versions.  As long as you trust the person to give them control of your desktop, it is secure in the fact that you have to give them a newly generated password for each initiated session.

In tandem with a voice phone call, I have helped people in a matter of minutes with things that would have taken 50 e-mails.

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Thanks Steve.

I would gladly call someone for help at this point....anyone?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Thanks Steve.

I would gladly call someone for help at this point....anyone?

guess not.   :cry:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
This helped me out a bunch.

Close iTunes

Drag the iTunes folder from the Mini HD to the External drive.

Browse to the External drive and open the file named iTunes Library and you're done. Probably located in a folder like this - External\iTunes\iTunes Library

Once you do this you can delete the iTunes folder from your Mini HD.

I learned a very valuable lesson.  Make sure your external HD is ON when opening itunes.  What happend to me is for the last two years many Cd's (~100)were put on the Mini HD and I didn't know it.  Until all of this mess of course.

Crimson

Quite. See post #26 above.

Johnny2Bad

Thanks Crimson.

Is the music folder normally pointed like this?
desktop > user > myname > music > itunes

or is it usually volume > itunes > music

My problem now is that I can't remember how I had the directory set.

This has turned out to be such a mess as I deleted my HD last night and used the backup.  Well turns out that I'm about 21 albums short somehow.     I want to 

iTunes's default location is:
~/Music/iTunes

Note that ~/ is the correct shorthand for /Users/[Your Username]/
and:
/Desktop/Users/[Your Username] ... is incorrect and does not exist, desktop is a folder inside your user directory, found at
/Users/[Your Username]/Desktop

You can set the location of where iTunes stores your music itself at:
iTunes: Preferences: Advanced: iTunes Media Folder Location

The metadata iTunes uses will always be in the iTunes folder in your home directory.

If you are missing music, you can check to see if it's in either the iTunes Media or iTunes Music Files folder also in that directory in your home folder. iTunes will occasionally recreate these folders even if you move them, but if you're not storing music in your home directory they should be empty.

Note however that when you move the default location from there (such as storing music on an external drive) iTunes will on occasion revert to that location if you launch iTunes but the drive is not already mounted (powered off, somewhere else, cable unplugged, laptop used at home and as portable, etc).

This usually also results in iTunes changing the value you set in preferences back to the default location in your home directory, so that is how music you add subsequently ends up in those directories after you've set it to an external drive.

Finally when you install an update to iTunes, always launch iTunes and check the preferences to be sure that the location of the music folder has not reverted to the default location in your user directory. You may have to reset it in iTunes Preferences.

Johnny2Bad

I've never known iTunes to do that. (I'm not sure how it could, since it obviously doesn't know where these files are to copy from). That is why you get the exclamation point warnings when for whatever reason iTunes cannot find your iTunes media and has reverted to the default location in ~/Music/iTunes … if it automatically set about copying files, that could not happen since the files would then be where it expected them to be.

All that happens is new additions to the library get stored there instead of the external drive.

The option 'Copy to iTunes Media Folder' are only invoked when iTunes is installed for the first time, or you yourself add a new file to the library by, say, importing a CD.

The option 'Keep iTunes Library Organized' refers to iTunes organizing music in folders such as /Pink Floyd/The Wall and renaming files with the track number.

Johnny2Bad

I thought I would mention a much simpler way of fixing a broken music library. For this to work, you must have previously set iTunes to Keep the iTunes folder organized and to Copy files to iTunes library when adding music.

Quit iTunes if it's running. Go to your home folder, and open the iTunes folder (path ~/Music/iTunes ). Create a new folder inside the iTunes parent folder, I call mine "Previous iTunes Libraries".

Drag the relevant iTunes files that comprise the Library metadata, and move them into that folder (path in my example ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Library). With iTunes v10x the files are "iTunes Library"; plus the files ending in .itdb and .xml

If you like, you can create a subfolder with a date so that you can keep a history of these files if you want (example path ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Library/[Today's date] ). If you do, place them directly in that subfolder so they don't overwrite anything. Note that you don't need to do anything to the 'Album Artwork' folder, if it exists. Leave it alone.

Also note that you don't want to move your iTunes Music or iTunes Media folders ... the ones that actually contain all the music files. Finally, note that if you haven't set iTunes to organize all your media into those folders this won't work, as that folder won't actually contain all your music.

Now, launch iTunes. You will be greeted with a "dumb" iTunes that acts like it's being opened for the first time. Drag the iTunes Music or iTunes Media folder (as the case may be) into the "Library" portion of the left sidebar (if it's in your home folder, the path would be ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media or iTunes Music).

If you keep your iTunes music files on an external drive, be sure to check iTunes preferences at "Advanced" and reset the path to wherever you keep the music before you do this (example path: /Volumes/Music HD/iTunes/iTunes Media or iTunes Music). iTunes will now create a new library containing all the music in that folder, and of course it will be 100% up to date.

It may take a few minutes, but there is a dialog window informing you of what is happening. One annoyance ... the "recently added" playlist will contain every song in your library, at least for a while. Also, you will probably have to reset some preferences, like view options.

rockn

Does all of this still apply to the new itunes 11 with icloud and everything? All it says now is, Are you sure you want to delete the copies of the selected items. Does not say where it is deleting them to.

decal

Ah, the joys of computer audio.  :icon_lol:

gilchrist28

Tunes Cleaner is a powerful yet easy to use iTunes cleanup tool, which could act as an iTunes duplicate remover to delete duplicate in iTunes and an iTunes library cleaner tool to clean iTunes library and fix iTunes for completing iTunes music information, like artist, songs, album, and album cover.

http://youtu.be/uXbiifiZDW0