Leopard - Anyone running? Your Thoughts?

John151

Leopard - Anyone running? Your Thoughts?
« on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:18 pm »
Anyone running Leopard yet?  If so, is it worth the upgrade? Any issues? Any audio implications (good or bad)?  There were rumors about FLAC support - any truth? 

Crimson

Re: Leopard - Anyone running? Your Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2008, 06:00 pm »
I bought it when it was released and installed it on a Macbook. I wasn't able to install it without formatting the hard drive. I ran it for a few weeks, found it pretty stable, and then installed it on two iMacs (no installation issues; didn't have to do clean installs). Was it worth it? It does have some new features that I like, but there's nothing ground-breaking. I haven't noticed any difference as far as audio is concerned, and no, flac is still not supported by of CoreAudio or iTunes

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2008, 09:24 pm »
I'm running it. On my iMac and my portable. No problems. Am not really using the powerful features yet...

biz

jaywills

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2008, 10:08 pm »
I run both Leopard and Tiger, latest iterations.  Unless Leopard has a specific function you want/need, Tiger will do just fine and you don't have to mess with apps that Leopard "breaks."

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2008, 11:09 pm »
great on everything but an older (single processor) G5...

That was a major disaster.  Works great on my Power book G4
and my intel based macs.

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2008, 12:18 am »
I have it. I think it offers the least amount of reasons to upgrade out of all X. Upgrades. It is a tad spunkier on my quad G5.
mike

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2008, 12:24 am »
Quicklook is an amazing feature. Instead of opening individual files with individual programs, you click the file once, hit the space bar and you are looking at the contents of the file, a bit reduced in size for text but definitely discernible text. Double click on the text and the original program opens up. SWEET

biz

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:10 am »
Most of my clients running it have had no problems, my wife has had none on her MacBook. I had one client with a problem that was really but an annonace and another who discovered a serious bug in Leopard (by being an idiot) -- he deleted his account leaving none and no way to get back into the machine (thank goodness for target mode). I had to downgrade an AppleShare server back to 10.4.11 because of a significant bug in server.

10.5.2 is just around the corner and it has historically taken till 10.x.2 for each new release to become sufficiently stable to recommend it with no caveats.

I would recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM if you are using it as anything other than an internet appliance.

I was going to install it on an empty drive on my ancient dual 867 G4, but the Combo drive was too old to read the double layer install DVD so i have resigned myself to getting a new octal processer tower.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2008, 06:12 am »
Quicklook is an amazing feature. Instead of opening individual files with individual programs, you click the file once, hit the space bar and you are looking at the contents of the file, a bit reduced in size for text but definitely discernible text. Double click on the text and the original program opens up. SWEET

biz

For graphics & pdfs, Milkyway gives you similar functionality in Panther (and maybe Tiger)

dave