Anyone running a Sonos system?

Christof

Anyone running a Sonos system?
« on: 30 Jan 2008, 04:48 pm »
I'm very curious about the Sonos system.  If anyone is using this could you please give your feedback.

Thx
c.

Msleb

Re: Anyone running a Sonos system?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:53 am »
Well, kind of an open ended question, but I'll jump in. I use a sonos for both critical listening as well as causal listening and now that I do I would never go back to my previous configuration (a bunch of airport express/airTunes speaker sets)--
For critical listening I listen to my Apple Lossless music through an outboard DA Converter. For more casual/friends over in front of the fireplace I usually put on Rhapsody or Pandora (both relatively inexpensive add-ons which give you unlimited access to music you don't own.

Everyone loves taking a turn with the sonos handheld controller and selecting songs, and it is now my teenage daughter's favorite gadget (of which I have many)--go for it!
Mark

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2008, 10:03 am »
I do and have all but stopped using CD. I will say this nothing has ever planted my behind in the seat longer or more frequently. It sounds very good and the convenience and joy negates any sonics I might be missing out on. A good DAC is a must though.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2008, 12:32 pm »
How is the controller in terms of browsing large libraries (I have over 15000 tunes) and response time? I tried the Keyspan Tuneview remote a while back, and found it's performance unacceptable (long, laggy refresh times).

Msleb

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:19 pm »
How is the controller in terms of browsing large libraries (I have over 15000 tunes) and response time? I tried the Keyspan Tuneview remote a while back, and found it's performance unacceptable (long, laggy refresh times).

It takes a few minutes to scan a large library when you first set it up, but this occurs in the background, as do either manual or scheduled updates to your library (ie if you add music the sonos will scan your library, note changes, and update its files).

Once this scanning is complete, access to your library is essentially instantaneous. I have >12,000 songs and the browse time is a pleasure

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2008, 06:07 pm »

It takes a few minutes to scan a large library when you first set it up, but this occurs in the background, as do either manual or scheduled updates to your library (ie if you add music the sonos will scan your library, note changes, and update its files).

Once this scanning is complete, access to your library is essentially instantaneous. I have >12,000 songs and the browse time is a pleasure

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you use iTunes to manage/rip your music? If so, are there any issues other than doing a manual or scheduled library scan?

Msleb

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2008, 06:18 pm »

Do you use iTunes to manage/rip your music? If so, are there any issues other than doing a manual or scheduled library scan?

Yep, I use iTunes, and nope, no issues at all...