Crackling noises from SP3

stanb

Re: Crackling noises from SP3
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2019, 02:03 pm »
That's firmware revision 46.15   (15=000F).  The switching improvement has been implemented on revision 46.52   (52=0034)

WillyP

« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2019, 02:17 pm »
Thanks Stan, for your reply. Would it be possible for my SP3 to swap the HDMI board for the new board?

Kind regards,

Willy

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2019, 03:50 am »
Mine also reads "000F3A2E"

Is there any way someone can field-update this themselves if one has the skills and the proper chip puller?   I sent my unit back just a few months ago for the HDMI board update and I'm hesitant to do that all over again.

**** TOTALLY echo Grit's comment below - thanks Stan and James and Bryston - reading back , my posts sound a little snarky, no snark intended :) 

« Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 02:48 am by gravy »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2019, 06:04 am »
Ditto!

-- modified by adding the below text --

Actually, after posting this, I wanted to come back and note that I'm eternally grateful that Bryston offers updates at all. It makes my investment in Bryston equipment far more practical and thus enjoyable. I don't mean to whine about sending my SP3 in for an upgrade. I just wish there was an easier way. But thank you Bryston for supporting updates/upgrades!

WillyP

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jun 2019, 07:17 am »
Is there any news about the new HDMI board?

Kind regards,

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 4 Jun 2019, 04:21 pm »
Hi Willy

1) The new card HSR82T  would be incorporated in production within 3 to (more likely) 12 months depending on the workload with other product development .   We are underpowered.

2) The new HSR82T will add two more features not present in the current card HSR72Q:

a) DSD-over-HDMI

b) eARC (ability to play back audio down-the-chain from the TV rather than only up-the-chain from the player).  This will be, IMHO, more important in the future as more multimedia capability is being integrated into the TV sets so they TVs become also streamers and NAS play-capable. 

Both (a) and (b) would require a few weeks of work to reinstate them in the SP3 firmware and retest.

3) The new card HSR82T will require reinstating the old back panel with 8 + 2 HDMI cut-outs and labels. 

Note: the correct HDMI port labeling is one of the requirements of HDMI standard certification, even though for the customer it might not matter much.  For example a customer may even install new HSR82T over the 7 + 2 cut-outs resulting in input 1 being inaccessible or we can remap 8-->1, 7-->2,... 2-->1.    That would work but we are not allowed to do it by HDMI 2.0 rules.  Input 1 must be physically labelled as 1 by paint or a sticker. 

Stan

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #46 on: 4 Jun 2019, 07:51 pm »
Hi James,

I'd definitely be interested. If I'm understanding Stan's email though, we're likely looking at summer/fall of 2020?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #47 on: 4 Jun 2019, 09:14 pm »
Hi James,

I'd definitely be interested. If I'm understanding Stan's email though, we're likely looking at summer/fall of 2020?

yes correct

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2019, 06:34 am »
Hi James,

Just wanted to check in for a possible update on the HSR82T HDMI board. I finally got my first "smart" TV (had a Pioneer Kuro plasma for a decade!) and now I finally have a reason to care about eARC. :)

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #49 on: 17 Jan 2020, 09:10 pm »
Ouch - I'm running into the issue that when I play a full Bluray disk on my computer, sometimes the menu "music" is completely loud static, I have to mute it until I hit the play button - once the movie starts, the SP3 locks on and Dolby TrueHD plays fine.

I've had to resort to setting a script to mute the SP3 anytime I'm playing Bluray menus, just in case.    Wish there was a fix for the DTS / Dolby switching issue that I think is the root cause here, based on the info in the thread?   Stan, is there any logging or troubleshooting or debugging we can do to pin point why this occurs?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #50 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:27 pm »
Bump for the last two posts