Are we on the verge of a SS revolution???

JackD

Re: Are we on the verge of a SS revolution???
« Reply #100 on: 13 Mar 2018, 04:58 am »
Dev

I assume that both of those MSB/YG demos you heard were Alex's setups?  If so his only other "cost comparable" speakers would have been Wilson and they were probably showing with Paragon.  My experience is that people with $125,000 plus DAC's in their systems or showrooms are never going to admit that they are anything but the "greatest."  At some point in the near future when they think us common people have forgotten they will move on to the next great DAC.  With people like Mike L. it is about every six to nine months.  He is just Srajen without a web publication. Until then they need to have company to justify their credit balance so not people I rely on for what "good sound" is. I make my own decisions. 

debjit.g

« Reply #101 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:01 am »
Regardless of the room, when you’re auditioning a complete system, you’re not just hearing 1 component. It’s very easy to mess things up. I once went to a Devialet 400/Focal Utopia demo where there was $80000 worth of gear setup. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard. So I went to inspect the system and they had some cheap Chinese digital transport feeding the Devialet via SPDIF. The rep there had absolutely no idea what he was doing. Had I setup that system it could have sounded 100x better.

Do you really think a company as MSB is would cheap out on any electronics in their setup ? Let me know in the pics which one you see was cheap  :D

bavmike

« Reply #102 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:01 am »
Dev

I assume that both of those MSB/YG demos you heard were Alex's setups?  If so his only other "cost comparable" speakers would have been Wilson and they were probably showing with Paragon.  My experience is that people with $125,000 plus DAC's in their systems or showrooms are never going to admit that they are anything but the "greatest."  At some point in the near future when they think us common people have forgotten they will move on to the next great DAC.  With people like Mike L. it is about every six to nine months.  He is just Srajen without a web publication. Until then they need to have company to justify their credit balance so not people I rely on for what "good sound" is. I make my own decisions.

Well that all depends if they are shills posing as innocent clients, or actual clients. Mike L is running a dealer funded show room. His role is to pose as the “innocent wealthy client” on forums. Ever notice he only posts on 2 dealer run forums?

bavmike

« Reply #103 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:02 am »
Do you really think a company as MSB is would cheap out on any electronics in their setup ? Let me know in the pics which one you see was cheap  :D

Even the best of gear can be setup bad. Bottom line is you can’t claim to have experience with 1 component alone until you do. Maybe it was the speakers you didn’t like.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #104 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:03 am »
I have experience with the only other DAC this same guy uses to listen to music. So I know the quality level the Select is at.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153645.msg1642935#msg1642935

So one guy likes your DAC and also likes the MSB Select DAC.  And from that single data point you derive "all tube gear is history"?  Again, it's not even your first hand experience!   

Have you heard the Lampizator Pacific DAC?  Or the ModWright Elyse?  I heard both at RMAF last year, and both rooms sounded far, far better than the MSB room.  That's a fact.  Based on actual, you know, FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.  Something you seem to be sorely lacking.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #105 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:05 am »
I dont know where SS and Class D will end in the future, but in 500 years from now tube amps will still exist, not because the sound is better but because the sound is different from other devices and pleasing to the human ear.

bavmike

« Reply #106 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:08 am »
So one guy likes your DAC and also likes the MSB Select DAC.  And from that single data point you derive "all tube gear is history"?  Again, it's not even your first hand experience!   

Have you heard the Lampizator Pacific DAC?  Or the ModWright Elyse?  I heard both at RMAF last year, and both rooms sounded far, far better than the MSB room.  That's a fact.  Based on actual, you know, FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.  Something you seem to be sorely lacking.

Classic cars are still around. People still collect them. You can love a 63 Corvette all you want, but if you try to tell me it outperforms a 2018 corvette, you’re delusional.

debjit.g

« Reply #107 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:10 am »
Dev

No, Alex setup (Alma audio) had two rooms and none of them were using MSB. One room had the smaller and other had bigger YGs and both sounded very good. I much preferred the bigger YGs with Lumin/ARC Ref 10/Dags Amp room - played my own music and was great to listen to.

Tyson

« Reply #108 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:12 am »
You can't tell me how it feels to drive either of those cars, IF YOU'VE NEVER ACTUALLY DRIVEN THEM.  Same with audio - you can't say how ANYTHING SOUNDS, if you HAVEN'T ACTUALLY LISTENED TO IT.  Otherwise it's all just "well yeah, look at these measurements!  And some other guy that you don't know totally likes SS better than tubes and he's rich!!"  SRSLY?  Weak.

AND your analogy is wrong.  Comparing cars is stupid.  A better analogy is musical instruments.  Saying that a "modern" violin sounds better than a Stradivarius because "technology has improved", and you have never heard a Strad to compare to a modern violin is about the same thing you're saying here.  Baseless and idiotic.

JackD

« Reply #109 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:14 am »
Mike

I don't know what Mike L. is other than from my research pretty damn wealthy in his own right.  If that affluence and his contacts give him the ability to get loaner equipment like Fremer, Valin, Harley and others then good for him.  My point in including him as that he changes his mind about what is best like I change socks so I don't pay attention to him for that reason alone and don't care about the other.  I also don't pay attention to Harley and Valin at all and rarely to Fremer.  The Dealers touting the Select II as the second coming are also not credible references as they are on the hook for over 50% of the retail just to have it in their showrooms and I guarantee you are not "loaning it out " for home demos so to suggest that is what Tyson or anybody else should do is foolish.  What I do know is my opinions are based on gear I have actually heard in controlled environments like my home or those of others whose systems I know.  Making claims about the positives or negatives of any piece of audio gear under any other circumstance is reckless at best. 

debjit.g

« Reply #110 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16 am »
Even the best of gear can be setup bad. Bottom line is you can’t claim to have experience with 1 component alone until you do. Maybe it was the speakers you didn’t like.

Nope, I liked YGs in other Rooms very much. As I said earlier, there is SIMPLY no excuse for manufacturers NOT to setup and match their gears properly - that's really pathetic if you have to listen to a $90k DAC in your own room in order to determine if you like it or not. 

Fyi, these images are from my own show reports posted on AS (not stolen).

bavmike

« Reply #111 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16 am »
You can't tell me how it feels to drive either of those cars, IF YOU'VE NEVER ACTUALLY DRIVEN THEM.  Same with audio - you can't say how ANYTHING SOUNDS, if you HAVEN'T ACTUALLY LISTENED TO IT.  Otherwise it's all just "well yeah, look at these measurements!  And some other guy that you don't know totally likes SS better than tubes and he's rich!!"  SRSLY?  Weak.

AND your analogy is wrong.  Comparing cars is stupid.  A better analogy is musical instruments.  Saying that a "modern" violin sounds better than a Stradivarius because "technology has improved", and you have never heard a Strad to compare to a modern violin is about the same thing you're saying here.  Baseless and idiotic.

Once again come back when you have experience with SOTA modern tech.

Tyson

« Reply #112 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:17 am »
Once again come back when you have experience with SOTA modern tech.

Look who's talking!  Why don't you do the same. 

bavmike

« Reply #113 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:19 am »
Mike

I don't know what Mike L. is other than from my research pretty damn wealthy in his own right.  If that affluence and his contacts give him the ability to get loaner equipment like Fremer, Valin, Harley and others then good for him.  My point in including him as that he changes his mind about what is best like I change socks so I don't pay attention to him for that reason alone and don't care about the other.  I also don't pay attention to Harley and Valin at all and rarely to Fremer.  The Dealers touting the Select II as the second coming are also not credible references as they are on the hook for over 50% of the retail just to have it in their showrooms and I guarantee you are not "loaning it out " for home demos so to suggest that is what Tyson or anybody else should do is foolish.  What I do know is my opinions are based on gear I have actually heard in controlled environments like my home or those of others whose systems I know.  Making claims about the positives or negatives of any piece of audio gear under any other circumstance is reckless at best.

The reason I trust the MSB Select is good is I have an honest client who’s tried everything who claims it is. And I know he’s honest because I haven’t paid him a penny to share feedback on my DAC.

bavmike

« Reply #114 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:20 am »
Look who's talking!  Why don't you do the same.

I already do. I already did a survey of 35 datapoint’s on top DAC’s from over 30 clients. But of course your inexperienced ears can hear better than 60 of theirs right?

bavmike

« Reply #115 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:22 am »
Nope, I liked YGs in other Rooms very much. As I said earlier, there is SIMPLY no excuse for manufacturers NOT to setup and match their gears properly - that's really pathetic if you have to listen to a $90k DAC in your own room in order to determine if you like it or not. 

Fyi, these images are from my own show reports posted on AS (not stolen).

I still say until you have experience with each component in your own system you can’t judge it.

debjit.g

« Reply #116 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:24 am »
Mike,

you claimed earlier that Aavik dealers are netting $20k profit in their pocket by selling one of their Amps. I see more reason why Select II is touted to be the ultimate DAC from different reviewers and dealers.

General question - Does one really think a DAC can cost $90k retail ? come on man, its a digital to analog converter - even if you wrap everything with gold, its not going to cost that much.

Tyson

« Reply #117 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:25 am »
I already do. I already did a survey of 35 datapoint’s on top DAC’s from over 30 clients. But of course your inexperienced ears can hear better than 60 of theirs right?

So you defend your lack of first hand experience by..... positing more 2nd hand experiences from other people.  Are you serious? Hahahaha that is some funny shit.  Oh wait, after this post, can you tell me some more how you let other people's opinions and judgements stand in for your own personal experience?   

Next thing you'll tell me that Wagyu beef is THE BEST because you have a rich client that loves it, even though you've never tried it.  You can TRUST them because they weren't paid to review the Wagyu beef.  Jesus.

bavmike

« Reply #118 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:28 am »
So you defend your lack of first hand experience by..... positing more 2nd hand experiences from other people.  Are you serious? Hahahaha that is some funny shit.  Oh wait, after this post, can you tell me some more how you let other people's opinions and judgements stand in for your own personal experience?   

Next thing you'll tell me that Wagyu beef is THE BEST because you have a rich client that loves it, even though you've never tried it.  You can TRUST them because they weren't paid to review the Wagyu beef.  Jesus.

This is the difference between being arrogant, and knowing you can’t possibly have the 1000 years experience with top level gear the 60 ears I’m basing my information on has.

bavmike

« Reply #119 on: 13 Mar 2018, 05:32 am »
Mike,

you claimed earlier that Aavik dealers are netting $20k profit in their pocket by selling one of their Amps. I see more reason why Select II is touted to be the ultimate DAC from different reviewers and dealers.

General question - Does one really think a DAC can cost $90k retail ? come on man, its a digital to analog converter - even if you wrap everything with gold, its not going to cost that much.

Dev,

I’m not justifying the cost. In fact I’m on a mission to match this for $5000. However I sincerely believe based on my research this is among the top DAC’s available in the market today. If you want to make the best gear, you need to have a reference point to use. Otherwise there’s no way to know where you’re at.