Re: Tube Pre-amp recommendation

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2023, 01:23 am »
The future of Audio Research is up in the air at the moment and that SP-15 is pretty old.
Something like Bob2 has is more like it.

nature boy

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2023, 04:05 pm »
Might want to keep an eye out for a used Eastern Electric Minimax tube preamp. Should easily get one for under $1K. Excellent with 6x4 and two 12AU7 tubes. Up to three single ended inputs & two of the same outputs. It's got point to point wiring, very true two the source.

NB

SHXMD

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2023, 04:28 pm »
Hello and thanks everybody!

I have been going through every recommended consideration listed above and hopefully below.

I am not active on forums but this is proving extremely helpful.

Of particular interest are descriptions of the previous avenues taken which did not pan out that I may avoid (i.e., Prima Luna-Too close to SS)

Also I was aware at some level but cannot fully ascertain the effort and cost to keep a 20 year old tube amp going.

Thanks again and I remain interested in any further considerations/recommendations.
S

jcn3

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2023, 06:02 pm »
    By the way, don't know the input impedance of your Bryston amp but most tube preamp especially simple ones like amps with higher input impedance.

that's a good point -- bryston amps tend to have input impedances on the lower end of the scale.

SHXMD

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2023, 07:09 pm »
Hello!

The Amp input impedance is 50kohm.

I can use a soldering iron but not sure I trust myself plugging it into the wall after that.
Or leaving it plugged in.

All great ideas.

Saw the filing for ARC…hopefully a white knight will save the legendary brand.

Thanks again all!

S

mav52

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jun 2023, 08:44 pm »
the company was acquired by Valerio Cora of Acora Acoustics,

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2023, 10:23 pm »
Hello!

I can use a soldering iron but not sure I trust myself plugging it into the wall after that.

All great ideas.

Thanks again all!

S

Have Don Sachs build you a preamp.  He can match the the input impedance of your amp and customize it to the sound you like.  That will be my next preamp when I decide to sell my BAT preamp and Pass amp.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/CitationRestoration.html

Nick B

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2023, 06:49 am »
I have owned a Supratek Chardonnay preamp for 2 years and it is excellent .... the best i've owned and also a great value for the money. Extremely quiet, pure tone, remote controllable, tube rolling options etc etc  Just an outstanding preamp 🎶

https://www.supratek.com.au/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2023, 06:56 am »
These Supratek preamps are great, mainly that Cabernet with adjustable gain.

Nick B

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2023, 07:06 am »
These Supratek preamps are great, mainly that Cabernet with adjustable gain.

A forum member here recommended the Chardonnay and I was able to buy a used one on AC. That same member also owns a Cabernet and says there is not much difference between the two models, more a matter of taste. My Chardonnay also has adjustable gain.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2023, 07:09 am »
Congratulations, looks a superb preamp, cant imagine why you sold it?

Nick B

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2023, 07:22 am »
Congratulations, looks a superb preamp, cant imagine why you sold it?

Hello FullRangeMan,

If you are asking me, no, I have not sold it. It is a keeper!  Possibly you have misinterpreted my use of the wording "I have owned". I meant that I have owned that preamp the last 2 years and continue to own it. Pls see below

Grammarly
Updated on May 17, 2023 · Grammar
The present perfect continuous (also known as the present perfect progressive) is a verb tense used to talk about something that started in the past and is continuing at the present time.

SHXMD

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2023, 04:17 pm »
Hello!

I am utterly impressed at the selection of pre-amps really from around the world.

The terms rare and esoteric apply but built to taste as well as true value and fidelity reign
Supreme.

One also sees how small shops can produce outstanding work up from 1k to 3k  (or China with low labour cost-Prima Luna entry level) but when US corporations become involved the price increases by 50%.

I found one Aesthetix Callisto Signature Pre for 8500! ARC LS 26  at 2350 and LS 17 at 1700.

When I first posted here I was seeking preamp tube compatibility with SS to drive the new Maggie’s (maybe synergy) and needing to refine my question/issue of accuracy with aliveness.
My survey had revealed a rather barren landscape with some of the usual suspect (well in excess of my budget).

I have been treated with refining my issue and quite simply a menu of options all of which have been vetted by the authors which I could never have tried in a lifetime or two.

Thanks to all for their time and input! It has been extremely informative, educational and illuminating,

Best,

Sean

(Apologies to the DIY people I just do not possess the confidence. One last question-on pre-owned ARC-if I go that route-is there a good repair/refurbishment shop which forum members  respect. I recall there was one in the North East somewhere. If a violation to recommend a shop-please feel free to PM me. THX!)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jun 2023, 06:25 pm »
Hi Sean,
If you are in US you could order a pre-amp at a builder as Dennis Had or Radu Tarta, I dealed with Radu and he is very friendly and super technically skilled, over the years I realize preamps with DHT tubes sound supremely rich in harmonics compared to more modern nine pin tubes YMMV.
Check this Radu pre-amp independent review:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/ux201a.html

https://simplepleasuretubeamps.com/

This are my personal taste IMO, before purchase check the tubes price.

Otherwise if are in Australia your best option are Eric Mc Chanson, his KT170 SET power amp are superb, all Sac-Thailand Silk transformers, no need pre-amp:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=mcchanson&_oac=1

jcn3

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jun 2023, 01:51 pm »
Hello!

All great ideas.

Thanks again all!

S

yep, 50k ohms for single ended, but only 10k ohms for balanced.  it's interesting that the 2b-lp came either single ended or balanced, not both.  is guess its a function of space on the back.

SHXMD

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2023, 12:58 am »
Update: One of recommendations above was for a Linear Tube Audio (LTA) MicroZOTL tube pre-amp which was also recommended in the Bryston forum group. And elsewhere. Reviewed all available literature on it (not much) and decided to stretch the budget (X-mas is coming, right?) and take the plunge. All one can really do after consulting the experts, reading the reviews (not many), and discussing  technical compatibility of amp and speakers (no problem) with the manufacturer. (LTA)

Paired with the refurbished 2B-LP-we will see if I get “the sound” I am looking for. (For pre-amp SS comparison I have a Bryston .5 [not updated], NAD [cannot recall model but borrowed and vintage] and a friends MAC 8900.)

Thanks again to all for their time, effort, input and recommendations.

Most helpful!

Best,

S

Arzupancic

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2023, 02:02 pm »
I have owned a Supratek Chardonnay preamp for 2 years and it is excellent .... the best i've owned and also a great value for the money. Extremely quiet, pure tone, remote controllable, tube rolling options etc etc  Just an outstanding preamp 🎶

https://www.supratek.com.au/

I’m a new user so unable to search the forum for Supratek threads. Any in particular you can link me to?

I’m eating a Syrah. Would be lying if I said I wasn’t first interested by the aesthetic but anything I’ve read online seems to be very impressed with any of the Supratek options.

Arzupancic

« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2023, 02:03 pm »
Update: One of recommendations above was for a Linear Tube Audio (LTA) MicroZOTL tube pre-amp which was also recommended in the Bryston forum group. And elsewhere. Reviewed all available literature on it (not much) and decided to stretch the budget (X-mas is coming, right?) and take the plunge. All one can really do after consulting the experts, reading the reviews (not many), and discussing  technical compatibility of amp and speakers (no problem) with the manufacturer. (LTA)

Paired with the refurbished 2B-LP-we will see if I get “the sound” I am looking for. (For pre-amp SS comparison I have a Bryston .5 [not updated], NAD [cannot recall model but borrowed and vintage] and a friends MAC 8900.)

Thanks again to all for their time, effort, input and recommendations.

Most helpful!

Best,

S

How did the pairing turn out?

SHXMD

« Reply #38 on: 29 Aug 2023, 03:52 am »
My apologies I just located this.

The pairing after burning in the pre-amp tubes/SS amp update/upgrade with the  LRS+ turned out as hoped. The microZotl adds just enough substance to the voice and high end sparkle to create “a liveness or aliveness” to allow closing your eyes and “hearing the performers in the room”.

The speakers are challenging because of their position requirements and poor recordings sound like well poor recordings. But when correct they are mesmerizing. Or as my wife a pianist and singer asked, “the music is coming from the speakers-right?”

Again all input greatly appreciated!

Best!

fredgarvin

« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2023, 04:07 pm »
I purchased my current pre amp from Musical Paradise.  It replaced a much higher priced component.  It is a steal for the price.  I replaced the stock output capacitors with Mundorf Silver Supreme oil and I use a pair of industrial caps on the input / power side.  The unit can use almost an infinite number of tube variants.  There are 3 tubes required and can be mixed as either 6v or 12v (you cannot mix voltages).  The 1st pair is used as 1 per channel and the 3rd uses 1 side of the triode for each channel.  I have finally settled on a pair of the black glass Ken Rad VT 231 and a single Sylvania VT 231 in the 3rd position that I mentioned above.  I am currently using a new production Tung Sol as the rectifier. 

It sounds pretty darn good in my opinion.  Big soundstage and low end from the Ken Rads and a nice high end extension from the Sylvania.  You will need a tube adapter to use 6sn7 tubes and these can be purchased from Tube Depot.
The cap swapping is a great feature on these, just unscrew the clamps and change them out. I' ve had my eye out for one mainly for the rolling fun. I still have the MP 301 deluxe and enjoy putting it in and tube roll every once in a while.