Anyone have a pellet stove (particularly an insert)?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Anyone have a pellet stove (particularly an insert)?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2014, 07:01 pm »
41 db at 6' is very quiet, impressive.

soundbitten1

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2014, 07:18 pm »
I've been looking at replacing my wood stove but there is nothing out there I've found that is a better viable alternative. They all have drawbacks. At least with a wood stove you still have heat if you lose your power.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2014, 07:36 pm »
That's definitely true, but a pellet stove could be run for a very long time on a small generator with a minimal amount of fuel.
....a generator being something that's a "must have" if one is truly concerned with power outages in the first place.

Bob

soundbitten1

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2014, 08:45 pm »
That's definitely true, but a pellet stove could be run for a very long time on a small generator with a minimal amount of fuel.
....a generator being something that's a "must have" if one is truly concerned with power outages in the first place.

Bob

Personally I don't see any advantage of a pellet stove over a wood stove and now you're adding the cost of a generator to it or any other heating unit to replace the wood stove.
I don't think a generator is a must if you have a wood stove. I've been through 2 week long power outages and survived just fine without one. The wood stove heats the whole house, you can cook on top and we use oil lamps and candles for light. I've thought of a generator but in my case it wouldn't be cost effective for the use it would get.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2014, 10:17 pm »
Hey, that's cool. No worries.
I've already got a generator, so it's not an issue for me.
A couple years ago it was almost 100 degrees and we lost power for a while, the generator kept two refrigerators, a few fans going, phones, etc...
A couple days ago, it was -15 and the power went out....ditto for everything listed above, but add in some space heaters.

Whatever it takes to keep life going is all it takes, and that may be different for each of us.

But I'm not sure Mr. Viggen is worried about "worst case" type scenarios, I'm thinking he's worried more about his utility bills every month (re-read his first post).
In that case, a pellet pooper will serve some folks better if they don't have a place to store cords of dry wood. There may also be emission regulations in some places.