What do I need to drive HT2-TL's?

supermo26

What do I need to drive HT2-TL's?
« on: 28 Nov 2016, 02:23 am »
I currently have a Integra DTR-8.4

It is hooked up to a PS3 or PS4 via the optic cable.

I stream Pandora but would like more option as well as the ability to drive the speakers better.

Do I need an AMP or something else?

What brands pair well with these speakers?

Meicheng

Re: What do I need to drive HT2-TL's?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2016, 03:41 am »
HT2-TLs are fairly easy to drive.  I have used a Hypex NC400 amp as well as a Rogue Atlas tube power amp, and both had no problem driving the speakers. 

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2016, 04:49 am »
The Van Alstine Synergy 450 is a perfect match. I have tried other amps including a Hypex NC400 based amp and the magic always disappeared. In fact, about 8 - 10 members of our Tucson Audiophile group has heard the HT2-TL/NC400 pairing at different times and all agreed the Synergy 450 has the best synergy with the Salk's.

Wayne

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:23 am »
Hi,

You could consider Audio by Van Alstine amplifiers which have been regularly demonstrated at major hifi shows in the US.  I successfully used a 70 watt amplifier with a pair of HT2's I owned but I also used a pair of Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzillas with them as well.

The speakers will rise to the occasion with the addition of quality components and music.

Cheers Rod

billmcc

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2016, 09:10 pm »
I currently have a Integra DTR-8.4

I stream Pandora but would like more option as well as the ability to drive the speakers better.

Do I need an AMP or something else?

What brands pair well with these speakers?

Do you have the HT2-TLs now? If you do how do they sound with Integra? If there is plenty of power and they sound great at high volumes then maybe the Integra will be fine. I'm using Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 mono-block amps to power my HT2-TLs. More than plenty of power as the SX-500s put out 550 WPC at 4Ω.

Bill

Gzerro

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2016, 04:52 pm »

I would first focus on your source before amplification. Streaming from Pandora is great for background music (and admittedly can sound really good at times for what it is), but it isn't the same quality level as a decent CD player or digital streamer at CD quality or higher. PS3/4 have very noisy fans and not really the best for a CD player/streamer.

As for amps, there are many great options depending on your price range and preferences. Can't go wrong with AVA as many have mentioned.

Best of luck!

Tom

supermo26

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2016, 06:55 pm »
I do have the speakers already. I've got them from a member, used, a few years ago. He even gave me the Integra because I didn't have anything.

3rd child born, money situation changed. Audio was kind of on the back burner.

Cash is still limited but I'm in the research mode. For some reason, sound will cut out for a second or so when streaming online. Thinking it's the Internet connection to the ps3 but not sure.

I wish there was a good post about what order to buy equipment.

brubacca

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2016, 08:20 pm »
2 completely diferent schools of thought. 
1- start with an amazing source then work your way out to the speakers.  Speakers are the least important piece of the pie.
2- speakers first and work your way back.  Speakers are your connection to the music. 

You have great speakers.  They need a good quality amp to sing.  Is your focus music or home theater?  How much do you want to spend?

supermo26

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2016, 01:09 am »
Music is the priority.
Limited budget, but willing to save up $.
I'm also willing to buy used equipment and cables.

supermo26

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2016, 03:29 am »
Would an AVA Fet Valve 400R be an upgrade over the Synergy 450?

I'm looking into used equipment.

What about the Synergy 240 / 3? How would it compare to the two above?

What are the pros and cons to each?

Gzerro  What is this digital streamer you speak of?!?! (joking voice) Can you expand on this?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2016, 05:07 am »
Give Frank van Alstine a call in the morning. Ask him how the 450 differs from the 400R. He'll give you the clearest answer.

I bought the 240/3 first because I wanted to hear for myself whether his amps were as good as the claims made them seem. Well, I was so impressed with the 240/3 that I bought the 400R not long after.  I do not believe the 240/3 is the right amp for your speakers. I suspect you'll be much happier driving them with a Synergy 450 or a 400R.

I bought the 240/3 and 400R believing that I was creating a great 5.1 HT system only to realize that I actually want a 2-channel system and spend very little time watching TV or videos.

If I were staying in my home, or if I could get my 400R to Taiwan inexpensively, I would not sell either amp.

I hope this helps you.

Michael

Lesterbest

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2016, 06:09 am »
I use a Yamaha CR 3020 which delivers 160 W/C RMS. I see no reason to change.

Gzerro

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2016, 05:41 pm »

Gzerro  What is this digital streamer you speak of?!?! (joking voice) Can you expand on this?

"Digital Streamer" just a device to play music (from CD or downloaded from the internet). A PS3/4 is a streamer, just with limited capabilities as it wasn't designed with high quality audio as a priority.

There are dozens of options and too many different approaches to explain here, but basically you just need storage (usually a computer hard drive, or from the internet), Interface/Streamer (To select what you want to play) and a DAC (Digital to Analog converter) to translate from digital to an analog signal to your amplifier. Many products combine 2 or all three of these functions into a single device.

The host of this forum makes a great one - The Salk Streamer:

http://www.salkstream.com/

R Swerdlow

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2016, 05:39 pm »
The Salk HT2-TL is an outstanding speaker, and it isn't difficult to drive.  The HT2-TL page suggests an amp with at least 100 watts.  Probably less will do, as suggested above.

Although these speakers don't require high power, they clearly benefit from high-powered amps.  Someone above recommended the Van Alstine Synergy 450, and I second that.  I would guess that the Van Alstine Synergy 300 amp, at about 25% less cost, would do as well.

I've heard these speakers driven by the hybrid Van Alstine 400R and 600R amps, but it was my impression (opinion) that they were not worth the extra cost compared to solid state 450 or 300 amps.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2016, 01:30 pm »
I've heard these speakers driven by the hybrid Van Alstine 400R and 600R amps, but it was my impression (opinion) that they were not worth the extra cost compared to solid state 450 or 300 amps.

Not to threadjack, but yours is the first opinion I've read saying that. I'm currently using an Emotiva XPA-5 to run my VSTs, but will eventually upgrade to something better, and have had my sights on the 400R. Care to expound on any differences between the Synergys and the Fet Valves?

Hydro

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2016, 03:59 pm »
The thing I like about the 400R is that you can roll different tubes in it to complement the rest of your system. The midrange on the 400R is more natural sounding. As with all equipment that uses tubes it takes a little while before the component sounds its best. To me the HT2-TL and the 400R are the sweet spots in both manufactures lines.