Ideal "cheap and cheerful" component

chadh

Ideal "cheap and cheerful" component
« on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:22 pm »

I've been thinking about shedding some gear, to free up some funds for new things in my main rig at home.  In particular, I keep thinking about reworking my office system.  In my mind, I put together a pretty decent and flexible little system:

Audiosector USB DAC
Trends pre-/headphone amp
Audioengine A2 powered speakers
AKG K501 headphones

I already own the DAC and the headphones, and the other two items would cost only around $450.

But then I rejected the whole idea, because I realized that my current system is almost certainly better, and costs even less.  How does it manage all of this?  I use what must be the ideal "cheap and cheerful" product in my office system.  The Peachtree Decco.

I get a decent DAC with USB and spdif inputs, a tubed pre-amp, a 50w/channel stereo amp, a decent headphone amp along with pre-amp-outs for a subwoofer (if I wanted one).  And all of this is available used for around $500.  How can you do better that that?  You can stay under the $1000 mark with any number of decent monitors in the $300 range, and still have money left over for a decent powered subwoofer to give you pretty full-range sound (or, as I have chosen in my office system, a pair of decent headphones).

I keep considering selling my decco to try to find a cheaper path to similar flexibility.  But I just can't think of anything that works as well.

I use my decco with an old pair of KEF Q15 monitors that I had lying around the place.  I need no interconnects (other than a USB cable), and I whipped up a DIY pair of "White Lightning Moonshine" speaker cables.

Chad

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Ideal "cheap and cheerful" component
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2009, 12:29 am »
Ear protection (for use around power equipment) is the cheapest "component" I can think of for making your system sound better.   :wink:

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:52 am »
Ear protection (for use around power equipment) is the cheapest "component" I can think of for making your system sound better.   :wink:

By avoiding power equipment altogether, I think I find an even cheaper path to the same result.

Chad

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:34 pm »
So drive over and mow my 2 acre lawn with a reel mower.   :o

But I think you're onto something.  Sometimes we out think ourselves.  I've heard good things about the Decco, but you'd be giving up the active speaker advantages.