Solid State amp recomendatiom

Louis O

Re: Solid State amp recomendatiom
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:01 pm »
Hi alecdraxx

Great recomendation I had one myself. Really liked the sound. I would add to list the amp one sti or the integrated version. Build quality is amazing too. George is a great guy to work with.

Thanks again,
Louis

Berndt

« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:27 pm »
The first watt f4 is really amazing sounding. Best soundstage I've heard from a ss amp. Depends on your pre if this amp is suitable.

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:58 pm »
Another vote for a FirstWatt amp (if you want to go with a separate amp and pre). With your Omegas, I'd look at the F2 or F2J. They have a fuller sound than the F1. These are also current source amps which gives you the wiggle room to adjust the sound of the bass and treble (see the 6moons reviews of the F1 and F2 for details). Note that since they are Class A, the FirstWatts will run hot.

bronal

« Reply #23 on: 7 Feb 2011, 11:47 pm »
Another vote for a FirstWatt amp (if you want to go with a separate amp and pre). With your Omegas, I'd look at the F2 or F2J. They have a fuller sound than the F1. These are also current source amps which gives you the wiggle room to adjust the sound of the bass and treble (see the 6moons reviews of the F1 and F2 for details). Note that since they are Class A, the FirstWatts will run hot.

I have been lent a FirstWatt F 'clone' to evaluate on my HB Type 1s.  My impression so far is that, while tonally it is very correct, it is too polite and laid back for my taste.  It doesn't seem to have have the leading edge attack or nimbleness of the Ampino and is also possibly a little hazy or muzzy in comparison.  Another problem, as noted above, is its gain - 'only' 15dB.  Both my preamps have 6dB gain, which isn't enough to get things going, it seems.

Am I missing something?

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:46 am »
Which F clone is it? There are some differences in the line with regard to the degree of warmth, speed, attack, etc. For the qualities you are looking for, I would recommend the F1 or the F4 in the First Watt line. Though note that they both have some pretty unique requirements.

bronal

« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:57 am »
Which F clone is it? There are some differences in the line with regard to the degree of warmth, speed, attack, etc. For the qualities you are looking for, I would recommend the F1 or the F4 in the First Watt line. Though note that they both have some pretty unique requirements.

Sorry, I meant to say it's an F5 clone.

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:17 am »
Nice thread about the First Watt amps. Don't know too much about them, but I do know the Aleph. This is a great amp.

I also use a BlueNote S1 with my Hoyt T1's

Thanks,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #27 on: 9 Feb 2011, 03:06 am »
I have same speakers, including Deep Hemp sub. Thanks to Louis, I think mine were the first pair he built  8)

I've owned the following amp as both an integrated, then as an amp, and now it's configured again as in integrated (you can order it either way). Compact, unassuming looks, it contains a vacuum tube-stage, but you can't see the tube. The tube runs at a low level, so life should be many years. It's in your price range. Remote on the integrated (that I could now never live without  :duh: ). Like Omega, built by hand in America. Links to product page and user comments here on AudioCircle...

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/signature_302
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84680.0

Louis O

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:54 am »
Hi Alwayswantmore,

Thanks and I really like the RWA. I have 2 here. They sound fantastic with the speakers. I don't habe the latest version though.

Thanks,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:13 am »
Hi Alwayswantmore,

Thanks and I really like the RWA. I have 2 here. They sound fantastic with the speakers. I don't habe the latest version though.

Thanks,
Louis
Hi Louis, long time no talk. The new versions are pretty amazing. Everything is better. Similar, in a way, to your move to Alnico. Hope you are well and doing OK with all the snow. Kent

Louis O

« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:58 pm »
Hi Kent,

Right on. Need to talk very soon.

The new line is really digging my 30.2
Doing very well and hope the same for you.

Thanks,
Louis

ClefChef

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:14 am »
I would suggest a good class A amp like Forte or Classe. Some Val Alstine come to mind, or Peachtree. Depends on the depth of your wallet really. Too bad about the tubes though...

jlfo

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2012, 08:17 pm »
If WAF is the main reason you need to buy a S/S amp, just get a Leben CS300XS and stay with tubes.
The Leben will receive an excellent WAF for sure!!! :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:23 am »
Look into an ATC SIA2-150 integrated  :thumb:. I love this amp great tonal quality, no frills, just great sound for under 4k. Do a search and read all about it.

Chris

Louis O

« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb 2012, 10:24 pm »
I'm really getting great feedback right now with Vinnie's new amp. The price is very good too. Haven't listened to it yet, but hopefully soon.

Thanks,
Louis

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #35 on: 29 Feb 2012, 02:44 am »
Hi all,

Nice thread. Good rec's from lot's o' Omegaheads.

In just the past few days, I have once again become an owner of a McCormack amp. This one is a DNA-1R1 which is an upgrade done--not by SMc--but by McCormack of Virginia. It is said to be "similar" to a DNA-225, but that is probably subject to debate.  I will say this; I was not expecting it to sound so good with my Super Al's, but as long as I don't get crazy with the VC, it does sound great. I used to own a DNA.05 RevA and it would have certainly made the Super's sing. The 1 is overkill, but I wanted it so I would be able to audition less sensitive speakers, not to drive the Omega's. I haven't heard Vinnie's new amps (Vinnie, I'm climbing back in the writing saddle--give me a shot!), but I am planning to build a First Watt F4 clone to run with my 845 amp. I'm betting it will sound fantastic.

I need to warm the iron...

Cheers to all,
Gary

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 29 Feb 2012, 03:42 am »
Stay with tubes and go for the Leben.  It looks like a solid state amp.  Ask Louis, he will say the same thing, as the Leben is an amp that has synergy with Omega speakers. 
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2012, 05:09 am by Canada Rob »

sugbob21

« Reply #37 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:03 pm »
ok  back with tubes.  just picked up a Prima Luna Prologue ll . with a phono preamp ( which is a great sounding preamp by the way). initial impression : sounds great. Does it make a difference if i use 4 or 8 ohm taps? dont hear much of a difference.  Should I ?

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:20 pm »
Omega Speakers are all 8 ohm I think, so go with the 8 ohm tap if there is no audible difference.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #39 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:46 pm »
The Class D Audio SDS-224 or SDS-254 would do  a great job.  Also, I'd recommend you hear a gainclone LM3886 chip amp.  Should sound great with the Omega's.  The new Red Wine tube amp Signature 15 would likely be another good choice.  All of Vinnie's amps sound great with Omega's.