Room treatment for dipole speakers

Fantome

Room treatment for dipole speakers
« on: 3 Mar 2023, 05:10 pm »
Hi everyone, new here and looking to start climbing the room treatment/correction mountain for my system.  I was looking for some good links for reading up on the basics since dipole speakers are a bit different than dynamic drivers.  any input would be appreciated!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Room treatment for dipole speakers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2023, 08:04 pm »
  Dead front wall diffused rear wall. Pick your products. Heavy drapes for front wall is highly recommended.

charles

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2023, 10:56 pm »
Is the front wall the one closest to the speakers? The one you’re looking at when listening? Some people have it vice versa.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2023, 12:42 am »
  Dead front wall diffused rear wall. Pick your products. Heavy drapes for front wall is highly recommended.

charles

This has always puzzled me when using dipole/open baffle speakers.  It seems such speakers intentionally direct sound behind them to be reflected off the wall for a desired effect (soundstage).  If so, why would you want to absorb the sound coming from the rear of the speaker?  :scratch:

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2023, 12:49 am »
Sounds logical.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2023, 01:09 am »
I use diffusion on the front wall closest to the speakers and absorption on the side walls. 

Had it more LEDE before, and this sounds better to me with dipole line arrays.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:02 am »
I use diffusion on the front wall closest to the speakers and absorption on the side walls. 

Had it more LEDE before, and this sounds better to me with dipole line arrays.

Diffusion behind dipoles makes more sense to me than absorption (though I’m far from an expert).

Carlton9000

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:17 am »
I use QRD diffuser on my front wall behind my Apogee Speakers.

Mr. Big

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2023, 06:25 pm »
Used this setup for room acoustics for my Quad ESLs and now my open baffle speakers. I had all GIK and ASR panels mixed in for a while but the room look like a recording studio so I said the heck with it after a while and had some large Cavans prints made for my room to mix in with great results.

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2023, 05:17 pm by Mr. Big »

CharlieCH

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2023, 02:30 am »
I have Magnepans and my front wall (wall behind the speakers) has combo absorption/diffusion panels from GIK.  My rear wall has two absorption panels on stands behind my head to block a window with some more combo absorption/diffusion panels on either side.

So far, I’m happy with how it’s turned out but I’m not an expert by any means.  It looks cool, so at least there’s that.

From what my research indicates you really want to have thick panels to absorb as much bass as you can (and it still won’t be too far below 100k because of physics).  Those bass traps you see, whether they are the triangle ones in the corners or the thicker panels generally also absorb mid and high frequencies so you want to use the thickest you can get so you don’t end up with the need for more bass absorption after you’ve already deadened the room with thinner panels and run out of wall space.  That’s why diffusers are popular so you don’t over dampen the room.

I would suggest looking at the Acoustic Insider YouTube channel.  He seems to know what he’s doing and he doesn’t obviously seem to be selling anything.

I have pictures of my setup in the last post in the GIK circle if you are interested in seeing it.