Has anyone tried one of these with their sub?

mca

« on: 5 May 2004, 03:26 pm »
I guess this is a room treatment of sorts, so I'll post it here.

http://www.speakercity.com/Sos/SubwooferOptimizer.shtml

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Has anyone tried one of these with their sub?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2004, 07:32 pm »
M,

> I guess this is a room treatment of sorts <

Not really. It appears to be some sort of single-purpose equalizer. EQ can sometimes help a little at very low frequencies, but you'll do better to get 1) real room treatment or 2) a real parametric EQ.

--Ethan

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2004, 07:38 pm »
That looks like a cool little unit at a reasonable price.  I get the same results with $120 Behringer parametric eq, a $30 Radio Shack SPL meter and test tone disc.  This approach is useful for tuning a subwoofer below 100hz.  Above that frequency, the eq approach gets a little dicey.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2004, 07:41 pm »
That is a parametric EQ, and by the reviews I've read a very good one.  It's a single band EQ that uses a microprocessor & test tone to sweep the room, find the single worst peak & determine the width and amplitude needed to 'fix' it.  The process of measuring it is all digital, but once measured the EQ itself is completely analog.

In a lot of rooms one band is enought to tame the worst bass peak.  You can daisy chain multiple units if needs be although much more that two would start to get expensive.  I have a unit with a 10 band parametric EQ, but I need only 3 to get my bass fairly flat.

It doesn't obviate the need for room treatment, but in any practical sized room a tad of parametric EQ is usually a good thing, when applied to the bass only.  Assuming a fairly transparent X-over & a sub.