You Tube Music Premium question on sound quality

Huck

You Tube Music Premium question on sound quality
« on: 10 Feb 2023, 08:02 pm »
Hi: I have the 'basic' free You Tube channel and I have the audio out on my 65 " TV coming out of the headphone output via (1/8" stereo male to RCA left and right adapter cable 12 foot long) going to my pre-amp input that way I can listen and watch YT videos(concerts) through my stereo.........now,I want to upgrade to You Tube Music Premium so I can get the better quality audio, if in fact it is upgraded audio,but will I still be able to get this 'upgraded audio' using the existing basic 1/8 to RCA stereo cable or will I have to use a different cable(co-ax or toslink)? :scratch:
Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2023, 12:00 pm by Huck »

MttBsh

Re: You Tube Music Premium question on sound quality
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2023, 09:10 pm »
Unlike Qobuz or Tidal, I can’t find any evidence that YouTube Premium offers sound quality above MP3 and MP2 compressed music. I have downloaded concert videos (saved as audio) from YouTube simply because those concert recordings are not available anywhere else and I listen to them on my system knowing the quality isn’t hi res. I have to admit some concerts on YouTube are recorded very well and sound great even in a compressed format. The point is that you can get that for free on regular YouTube. Maybe a premium account gets you access to more music but I don’t really understand how paying $11.95/month for premium improves the audio quality at all over what is already there for free. You indicate that a premium account will get you higher audio quality, maybe I missed that when I read their promotion.

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2023, 09:27 pm »
Unlike Qobuz or Tidal, I can’t find any evidence that YouTube Premium offers sound quality above MP3 and MP2 compressed music. I have downloaded concert videos (saved as audio) from YouTube simply because those concert recordings are not available anywhere else and I listen to them on my system knowing the quality isn’t hi res. I have to admit some concerts on YouTube are recorded very well and sound great even in a compressed format. The point is that you can get that for free on regular YouTube. Maybe a premium account gets you access to more music but I don’t really understand how paying $11.95/month for premium improves the audio quality at all over what is already there for free. You indicate that a premium account will get you higher audio quality, maybe I missed that when I read their promotion.
Thanks for commenting and as far as higher quality audio,I just assumed ( we all know what that means?!) that would be included in the 'Premium" offerings,I could not really find any info on the actual audio quality when going the Premium route,but I may have missed that part?...I dunno,maybe someone who knows can provide a linky showing that?.Thanks,Huck :popcorn:

GeneS

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2023, 09:52 pm »
I found this:
https://thetubepro.com/2022/09/21/youtube-audio-bitrate-quality-in-2022/

I can’t verify it’s info, as I’m not a YouTube user. In short, it appears that 256 AAC is the highest rate that can be selected, even with Premium. It also appears that YouTube can select the rate based on strength of connectivity, location, etc. 

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2023, 10:49 pm »
Do you get better adds with Premium?

Won't swear to it but maybe none?

Alna

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2023, 01:30 am »
I subscribed to YouTube Premium about a month ago. I didn't subscribe with the thought that I would get better quality audio, but to stop getting blasted with ads after every damned video. The ads had gotten really annoying. My TV is connected via the optical cable to my Holo Spring3 KTE.

Michael

Huck

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2023, 02:43 am »
I found this:
https://thetubepro.com/2022/09/21/youtube-audio-bitrate-quality-in-2022/

I can’t verify it’s info, as I’m not a YouTube user. In short, it appears that 256 AAC is the highest rate that can be selected, even with Premium. It also appears that YouTube can select the rate based on strength of connectivity, location, etc.

That article was interesting and looks like I won't be subscribing to You Tube Music Premium any time soon,so I will keep what I have and put up with the commercials. Thanks to everyone who commented.Huck :green:
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2023, 12:05 pm by Huck »

Theronbo

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2023, 02:52 pm »
I have YouTube premium.

My main listening is a large room with surround…

I use AppleTV as streaming device.

There is no ‘Music’ YouTube app for AppleTV…

I use YouTube a lot. Both for music, news clips & DIY help.

I had Apple Music before lossless compression. Listening to music on YouTube is what made me aware that the Apple lossy codecs sucked… at lest for my system.

I tried all the streaming music services… settled on Tidal though the interface was atrocious.

When Apple went lossless I went back.

I use both YouTube & Apple Music about equally.

YouTube has a lot of content not on Apple … or without video.

I enjoy live performances on YouTube… it’s amazing how good amateurs with home equipment can sound… though I suspect many giving the appearance of amateurs… aren’t.

I went premium to avoid commercials… consider it my best streaming dollars spent.

Do not believe there is an upgrade in sound quality….

Note: YouTube does not support Dolby codecs. Only PCM.

Huck

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2023, 03:54 pm »
Thanks everyone.Huck :thumb:

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2023, 05:14 pm »
using the tv as transport is probably not good.

and, if you use pc, you can install ad block on your browser instead of paying for yt subscription.

Huck

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2023, 06:43 pm »
using the tv as transport is probably not good.

and, if you use pc, you can install ad block on your browser instead of paying for yt subscription.
I have my large screen's audio going through my main stereo,so I was hoping to watch some good music videos/concerts on YT,but if the audio can't be upgraded by going to Premium,I won't bother.I will stick with my blu-ray for concerts,etc.Thanks,Huck 8)
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2023, 09:09 pm by Huck »