Any Amazon Music subscribers out there?

Dave-in-Cambodia

Any Amazon Music subscribers out there?
« on: 1 Jan 2023, 10:53 am »
Just bought a subscription to Amazon music and I'm wondering how/if I can start "training" it to push a narrower range of suggested music, a la Spotify. I'd be surprised if there isn't an analogous algorithm but I haven't had much luck yet figuring out how to make the platform offer me anything other than the next track on an album. TIA.

Mag

Re: Any Amazon Music subscribers out there?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2023, 11:13 am »
Just bought a subscription to Amazon music and I'm wondering how/if I can start "training" it to push a narrower range of suggested music, a la Spotify. I'd be surprised if there isn't an analogous algorithm but I haven't had much luck yet figuring out how to make the platform offer me anything other than the next track on an album. TIA.

I subscribe, I posted about this I believe in The Music Circle.
Anyway Search is your friend. Type in the Search window, for example, the name of the artist and or album, song title, so Judas Priest albums. It will then show you the Search results. I usually click on See All or you can scroll by clicking the arrows. It will then display the albums available. If you look closely though some albums maybe omitted but you will get what Amazon has available.

Some albums like Black Sabbath 'The End' I have on my Playlist. I looked again the other day and I didn't see it listed but I still have access to it, probably from and earlier version download.

Also in the Settings select Autoplay. When your Playlist reaches the end where it has played every song once it will then go into autoplay mode and play music that has been deemed related. :smoke:

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2023, 11:17 am »
Cool beans, thanks! Nice profile pic too, btw.

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2023, 08:14 am »
[Edited because you already answered this question in advance]

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2023, 06:14 pm »
In Amazon music, the best "narrow" way to find new music is while playing a song/genre you like, hit the "Play similar button." 

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2023, 01:44 am »
So far at least, Autoplay doesn't autoplay. It just stops dead when it's reached the end of my queue.

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2023, 03:44 am »
Where is the "play similar" button? I'm willing to try that, but right now all I can get it to do is play five versions of the same piece of music.

I search for, e.g., "Too Marvelous For Words" by Jeff Hamilton, hit play, and, with the autoplay function toggled, what I get at the end of the Jeff Hamilton track is five more versions of "Too Marvelous For Words" by different artists with different arrangements.

Pretty viscerally negative experience so far, in that I'm forced to sit here thinking "Why would that even be the default in the first place -- who does that? Ever?"

I was of the impression that these music streaming services would drill down into an abstruse formula to find and autoplay other selections that matched a person's tastes, not songs with the same title.

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2023, 03:53 am »
...Looks like these things are way easier to find in browser than in the app.

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2023, 02:48 pm »
So far I'm really, really, **really** unimpressed with the play-similar algorithm on Amazon Music.

Am I going to like Spotify any better, or this just another of the countless things that people tell me is so incredibly cool, and then when I actually break down and try it, it's Bing?

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2023, 06:43 pm »
So far I'm really, really, **really** unimpressed with the play-similar algorithm on Amazon Music.

Am I going to like Spotify any better, or this just another of the countless things that people tell me is so incredibly cool, and then when I actually break down and try it, it's Bing?

I think I know what you're doing, selecting a specific song. What you should be doing is create your own Playlist of songs that you like. For example I have a Pop Classic, My Picks, Hard Rock and My Albums. This morning I was playing a Kitaro album, when the album was done it went into Autoplay and continued to play other Kitaro songs and I believe there was another artist, I heard the song before but did not know by who and I didn't care enough to look who the artist was.

Theronbo

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2023, 07:45 pm »
I tried all the streaming services… once I figured out that Apple Music was lossy…

Loved the interface & every thing else about Apple… but music seemed flat compared to some YouTube videos.

Settled on Tidal…. Music sounded better… interface was crap.

Now Apple has gone to lossless & spatial…. I’m back to Apple Music…

Note: I mostly listen in my Great Room… with 80” TV 11.1 surround. Though Krell amp for L&R speakers.

Apple seemed to me creating Spatial music versions from Stero mastered music. This sucks.

Stuff mastered to Dolby ATMOS can be really sweet listening experience… just different from stereo staging.

Apparently, studios are making both Stero & Dolby Masters from original multitrack studio recordings.

With Apple you get both. 

Hush by Mariàs is beautiful example of Dolby mastered song.  Still mostly listening to stereo.

Billie Elish also sounds good in Dolby.

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2023, 10:09 pm »
I have both Spotify and Amazon Music. I usually listen to a playlist/album and once it's done, it just plays similar type of music. It feels about the same on both Spotify and Amazon. I have continue playing after playlist ends on both software. You also have 'station' type option on both.

On Amazon, for any track, you can hit the 3 dots and then select "Play Similar Music"

I auditioned Tidal with the regular Lossless plan and only the original 16 bit stuff sounded fine. Anything that was uploaded in 24 bit and has a Master tag goes through MQA, even if you only pay for the regular lossless tier and don't have a MQA DAC. You'll be getting a truncated MQA version. I preferred the regular lossless sound of my own downloads and Amazon Music. Qobuz is not an option here in Canada, otherwise I'd be trying that out for sure. If your goal is lossless, avoid Tidal.

https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2023, 01:50 am »
I auditioned Tidal with the regular Lossless plan and only the original 16 bit stuff sounded fine. Anything that was uploaded in 24 bit and has a Master tag goes through MQA

It's a shame..