Having problems getting certain DACs to work with older computers

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
I am trying to use headphones with an old computer. Some DACs will work fine, but some don't. Any thoughts on how to get it to work?

WGH

Could you give us any less information?

Wait, wait...I'm getting an answer over the ether (net)

It says you are using a PC. Right?

You are plugging the headphones into.... hmmm, little fuzzy here. The DAC. Right?

USB or S/PDIF into the DAC?

Drivers, do you need to install the stinkin' drivers? If so did they install properly or is there a yellow exclamation somewhere in the Device Manager?

Connection terminated... please type Exit

newzooreview

What is the computer? The DAC?

Typically an older DAC might require a driver if it's a Windows computer. Or is it Linux? Or a Mac?

A description of the relevant details is needed to say anything meaningful.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Windows 7 Professional
Asus motherboard w/16GB memory
iFi IDAC2 via USB direct to motherboard

Driver:
iFi-AMR-HD-USB-Audio-Driver-5.12 fails during loading.
"Digital signature of driver file iFIUSBAudio.sys is not accepted by this operating system"

Ifi is visible in Device Manager as an unknown device

yoganic

Ifi seems not to support usb 2.0 by their products. I found on their website that there is a special driver if you want to use a ifi dac on an usb-port.
does not make much sense to me, but they might know their products better...

https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/

Escott1377

Some DAC’s (and I owned 1) will not support anything higher than Win 7.  I tried to run in compatibility mode from Win 10 but it was not stable.

There’s a few easy ways around this - you can buy a USB > SPIDF converter from Amazon for about $40.  I know this works bc I passed along the above DAC to a buddy and it is working fine.

You could try contacting iFi, in my experience they have pretty decent customer service.  I also think there a few generic drivers on the web that might work.  I pulled a driver from the Schiit page when I owned an MHDT Orchid.

Or, you can wait for somebody to most likely give you a better solution than mine - I am not a computer guy :).

Good luck!

WGH

Windows 7 Professional
Driver:
iFi-AMR-HD-USB-Audio-Driver-5.12 fails during loading.
"Digital signature of driver file iFIUSBAudio.sys is not accepted by this operating system"

Ifi is visible in Device Manager as an unknown device

That happens with ancient operating systems. I had to update the operating system to Windows 10 on a 12 year old Toshiba laptop that originally came with Windows Vista. Back in 2020 it finally reached a point where nothing would run on Vista anymore. I couldn't even update the browser. The old browser didn't work with secure web sites and a new browser build wouldn't install because Vista was too old.

iFi may have a driver for Windows 7 but it probably won't work with the latest firmware in their products. It's time to get over your fear of a new Windows version.

I have a sinking feeling that you ignored the free update to Windows 10 that kept appearing in Windows Update. Heck, it might still be there.

But first, before you click that update button make an image file of your existing Windows 7 install. I use the free Paragon Backup and Recovery
https://www.paragon-software.com/us/free/br-free/#

Once Backup and Recovery is installed follow the instructions to make a bootable thumbdrive. Yes, it's a time consuming PIA but better than making a brick if the Windows 10 install fails. You will also need a 2nd hard drive to store the image file, you should have one to store backups of all your computer setups anyway.

Now that you have a backup image, go ahead and click the Windows 10 update button. No button? Time for plan "B".

Plan B

Go to the Windows 10 Update page:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1.) Windows 10 November 2021 Update
The Update Assistant can help you update to the latest version of Windows 10. To get started, click Update now.

I prefer to do a clean install but you should first download the Asus drivers for Windows 10 and put them on another thumb drive. Windows 10 will install newer and better drivers but better to be safe.
No need to download drivers if using the Update Assistant above. A squeaky clean new install is so much better than an update that leaves years of old code behind.

To do a clean install click on
2.) Create Windows 10 installation media
To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

The old Windows 7 license key will activate the new Windows 10 and make it legal.
No Windows 7 license? Then use the Update Assistant, option #1
There are ways to recover a Windows 7 product key, one of these should work:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=recover+windows+7+license+key

Now you are good for another 10 years and all software and drivers will work.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Updated ASUS drivers, now shows as an Ifi device in Device Manager in stead of Unknown Device..

"Windows cannot verify the Digital Signature for the drivers for this device" This is iFi's drivers.

WGH

"Windows cannot verify the Digital Signature for the drivers for this device" This is iFi's drivers.

It is not unusual for drivers from small or overseas companies not to be digitally signed. I always install the drivers, otherwise the device is unusable.

Be aware that as you search for usable drivers the search links could take you to questionable sites that are waiting for a Windows 7 computer, there probably hasn't been a security update in years. All of Windows 7 flaws are known so the computer is wide open to exploits by every budding 10 year old hacker in the world. A Windows 7 exploit is like training wheels for a young hacker.

Norman Tracy

The trick is to get Windows to work with the unsigned driver. There are many resources on the web and videos on YouTube on this subject. I suggest checking a few and trying. WGH's warning is valid, proceed at your personal level of comfort. Personally I would work with the drivers direct from ASUS and iFi attempting to avoid hackers.

Personally I am many years past Win7 so I Googled this:

getting windows 7 to work with unsigned drivers

And this hit back....
About 1,370,000 results (0.61 seconds)
1 Answer
Hit the Win+R keys together to open the run dialog. Type gpedit. ...
Expand 'User Configuration' -> 'Administrative Templates' -> 'System'. Click 'Driver Installation'.
In the right panel, double click on 'Code Signing for Device Drivers'.
Choose 'Enabled' in the window that appears. ...
Click Apply.
Dec 30, 2011

Install unsigned drivers in Windows 7? [duplicate] - Super Userhttps://superuser.com › questions › install-unsigned-driver...
About featured snippets

Feedback
People also ask
How do I use unsigned drivers in Windows 7?
In the right panel, double click on Code Signing for Device Drivers.
Choose Enabled in the window that appears.
In the underlying options, choose Ignore. This disables drivers signing in Windows 7 or Vista, and now you can install unsigned drivers.

WGH

The most sensible and obvious solution is to contact iFi tech support. The fix may be simple or, most probably, they will say do the free update to Windows 10.

Screw it, forget about backups, click on the "Update now" button.
You know you want to and going to do it eventually. Why wait?
In 30 minutes all your driver problems will disappear.

newzooreview

Yes, it's possible to hack an ancient Windows computer to be the source for a USB DAC.

Alternatively, one could get an Allo USBridge Signature for $250 and have a (very likely) better experience. It's based on a Raspberry Pi board and can run a dedicated music OS like Volumio that you can control with a smart phone, tablet, or other computer on the network. Much less noise from a massive PC power supply and essentially no system processes competing with audio output to interfere with the timing of packet delivery over the USB 2.0 audio layer. Keep in mind that the USB audio protocol provides for no error correction (unlike the USB data protocol that can run a checksum and resend bad/dropped packets).

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-player.html

I respect and understand the impetus to get some use out of an old computer sitting around the house, but sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth.