Matrix mini I-pro3 is amazing

nocrapman

Matrix mini I-pro3 is amazing
« on: 7 Jun 2022, 05:02 pm »
No affiliation to seller (Apos) or the manufacturer.

I am just floored by this product. Running Roon and using it as a wireless streamer and DAC.
Replacing an Auralic mini, NAD m51 combo. Sounds as good if not better out of the box. Easy setup, excellent functionality and nice solid remote.
This feeds a W4S pre and amp and eventually my full range Ottavo speakers designed by the late Rick Craig of Selah Audio.

No issues playing any bit rate/DSD/FLACs or MQA files. Have not tried various filters etc.
I have not done any critical listening yet but seems like a winner.
The Auralic (one of my many) was choppy and as it was aging, not reliable, dropping off constantly. Tried a Bluesound Node which was giving me weird noises and hums and seems to be a known issue. Going back to the store.

I love the screen/display - fast wireless connection and flawless interface with Roon.
For just about 1K it is replacing 2.5K worth of audiogear and many fewer cables.  I am sold.
Highly recommend it without reservation.

skifasterslc

Re: Matrix mini I-pro3 is amazing
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2022, 08:05 pm »
nocrapman,

I had an earlier version of the mini-i a few years ago, I loved it and regret selling it, I totally agree, nice sutff!

nocrapman

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2022, 08:13 pm »
I am actually tempted to replace some other streamers in the house with other units up the chain. I do like the simplicity an noise free aspect of Stream-dac-pre in 1 setup. Add a beefy amp and speakers and you are done. Much better WAF.
They do go up in price quickly but still nowhere close to my PS Audio directstream. I was thinking about trying a mid level denafrips to replace another DAC I am not fond of but now I am not so sure.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2022, 08:42 pm »
I had (and enjoyed) a Matrix Mini DAC/pre/headamp a number of years back.  Was excellent, and had both RCA and XLR outputs.

The newer streamer/DAC/Pre seems very cool, thanks for sharing.