Aftermarket ethernet with SB Touch

BobC

Aftermarket ethernet with SB Touch
« on: 17 Sep 2012, 07:06 pm »
So I currently have by SB Touch talking wirelessly through my router to my home PC.

However I recently got Cincinnati Bell Fioptics cable boxes installed, which come with an ethernet jack on the back.

I should be able to now connect my SB wired to by cable box, which then routes the signal through my coax network back to the modem, through the same router and to my PC.

1. I'll play around with it myself, but I'd like to know the prevailing opinion.  It is more complicated with more stuff in the path, but it's wired and not wireless....so it's better, right?
2. Has anyone tried after-market ethernet cables, such as the Audioquest Cinnimon?  I'm wondering if there is a noticable improvement over a stock cat5 patch cable?

Thanks, Bob

Phil A

Re: Aftermarket ethernet with SB Touch
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:53 pm »
I bought a couple of Audioquests to go from the wall to a switch and the switch to the Touch.  Did not do really serious comparisons but did not notice differences from what I remember.  There's just too many feet of Cat5e going back to the PC and through multiple switches.  My next house, which should start relatively soon will have (shielded I believe) Cat6 which they use standard.

Airborn

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2012, 06:29 am »
I'd like to see responses to the op as I could probably do the same to my Touch through my Cisco Explorer  4642 HDC cable box's ethernet connection.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:37 am »
I tried out the AQ cinnamon with both audio and video playback and didn't notice any improvement.

toddbagwell

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm »
So I currently have by SB Touch talking wirelessly through my router to my home PC.

However I recently got Cincinnati Bell Fioptics cable boxes installed, which come with an ethernet jack on the back.

I should be able to now connect my SB wired to by cable box, which then routes the signal through my coax network back to the modem, through the same router and to my PC.

1. I'll play around with it myself, but I'd like to know the prevailing opinion.  It is more complicated with more stuff in the path, but it's wired and not wireless....so it's better, right?
2. Has anyone tried after-market ethernet cables, such as the Audioquest Cinnimon?  I'm wondering if there is a noticable improvement over a stock cat5 patch cable?

Thanks, Bob

I'll be curious to see if that works. From my limited and informal networking experience, I 'm not sure that a cable box ethernet port can act like a switch/router, I'd imagine that it would not forward packets from another device to a third device, but again, just my guess. Please try it and see though.

As to the sonic implications, if you are not having dropouts or other issues with a wifi connection, I'd be surprised that a wired connection would be much different, but again, listen for yourself and decide!

keep us posted, I'm curious about it.
todd

Fredly

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:50 pm »
I recently hard wired my modded SB Touch with Cat6E wire.

I also installed a product similar to the SB Tranquility Base under both my Modem and Router, which feeds that SB Touch. (as per the below link)

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/ces-2012-show-report2/

These tweaks made HUGE differences to my sound. Clarity/attack/bass.... everything benefitted greatly!

It makes you realize how important every component in the audio chain is and that it is only as good as its weakest link.

Fred.

JEaton

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:16 pm »
The advantage to wired ethernet is generally in improved reliability (i.e. fewer dropouts, or silent patches, in the audio stream) vs. wireless ethernet. Many people, though, have extremely reliable wireless. I'm able to stream FLAC wirelessly to four Squeezeboxes in my home and never have dropouts. I've also experimented with streaming WAV to as many as six Squeezeboxes and even that streamed perfectly. If you're streaming to a single Squeezebox, I'd be surprised if your wireless connection is so poor as to cause dropouts. But if you do experience them, try the wire.

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2012, 09:45 pm »
I have been running a wired system for a number of years now.  Cat6e allows more and faster connections than Cat5a.  If you are contemplating wiring your house, Cat 6e now is the way to go.
Shielded wire  does have the unfortunate by-product of providing a path for ground loops.  There are those online who have experimented w/ stripping the shielding to improve sound quality. http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/11/touch-toolbox-hw-and-network.html
I've always used and recommended UTP (unshielded twisted pairs) in audio applications for this reason.
Larry

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:02 pm »
I'm definitely no expert here!  I had a laptop and my SB Touch together in a room that was pretty far from my router, too far to run wires.  I ended up using my laptop as a wireless bridge.  Basically, the laptop uses wireless internet but communicates with the SB via ethernet.  You just need a "crossover" cable, which is standard Cat 5 wired up differently.  Once I plugged this in, it was really easy.  Now I can play 24/96 without a pause - which was a problem with the wireless setup.

I cannot compare the sound of this vs the sound of going through the router - but you could pretty easily for the $30 the crossover cable will cost.

BobC

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:10 am »
I'll be curious to see if that works. From my limited and informal networking experience, I 'm not sure that a cable box ethernet port can act like a switch/router, I'd imagine that it would not forward packets from another device to a third device, but again, just my guess. Please try it and see though.

As to the sonic implications, if you are not having dropouts or other issues with a wifi connection, I'd be surprised that a wired connection would be much different, but again, listen for yourself and decide!

keep us posted, I'm curious about it.
todd

Well I think you're right.  I tried it and my Touch said "ethernet connected" or something....but couldn't find the Library on my PC.  Bummer!   :(

srb

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:44 am »
IYou just need a "crossover" cable, which is standard Cat 5 wired up differently.  I cannot compare the sound of this vs the sound of going through the router - but you could pretty easily for the $30 the crossover cable will cost.

Crossover cables are becoming obsolete as most newer NICs have Auto-MDIX which detects the required connection type and configures the connection.  It's standard on Gigabit NICs, but the Touch is 10/100, so I guess you still need it.  Are you using some kind of fancy "audiophile" network cable for unclocked data, as Monoprice, for example, gets $0.85 to $2.84 for 3ft to 25ft Cat5e crossover cables?

Steve

Syrah

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:24 pm »
I'm just using standard Cat 5e from my corner computer store that they wired up as a crossover cable.  I can't compare this to a connection via a router, but I recall reading something somewhere on the internet that the Touch is smart enough to speak directly to the computer.  I wouldn't mind trying Cat 6, given all of the positive comments.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm »
I just put an ethernet port switch between my laptop and Touch and it worked fine.  Two standard cat 5 cables with the port between the laptop and Touch and it was good to go.  I believe the switch expects a primary feed which I took to be the laptop and it may be labeled on the switch with a mark or label.

lcrim

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm »
The Duet,The Touch,the Boom and the Radio all feature Auto MDIX. 
If your laptop has both the Logitech Media Server and the music database you have essentially eliminated the hop to the switch and the hop from the switch to the Touch.
I use a netbook which has several USB connected hard drives w/ music, (active and backup plus a printer).  Also a wireless router that is wirelessly connected to my internet router.  My bedroom Touch is wired to that upstairs router.  The livingroom system is wired to the internet broadband router for both Touch and Netflix Bluray player.
Larry

joelha

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2012, 05:59 pm »
I recently hard wired my modded SB Touch with Cat6E wire.

I also installed a product similar to the SB Tranquility Base under both my Modem and Router, which feeds that SB Touch. (as per the below link)

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/ces-2012-show-report2/

Hi Fred,

Since no one else asked, I will. What is the product you're using which is similar to the SB Tranquility Base?

Thanks,

Joel

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:34 pm »
If people start claiming "audiophile" network cables improve sound, I'm going to shoot myself.  I've bought into almost every other cable improvement (with the exception of HDMI), and even use Cat6 exclusively, but I'm drawing the line here on "audiophile" network cable.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:22 pm »
If people start claiming "audiophile" network cables improve sound, I'm going to shoot myself. 
:lol: I'm with ya Brother!  :thumb:

Since the thread was bumped, I have a slightly off topic, but related question.
Can a SB get its wired Ethernet connection via a Powerline Adapter?

Bob

srb

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:31 pm »

The Powerline Adapter replaces the long Ethernet cable by transmitting the data over AC wiring, but each device still sees it as an Ethernet connection, so theoretically it should work between any Ethernet devices.

Whether or not there would be any additional noise generated to affect the audio is another debate, but most of the people who use them for audio-related Ethernet connections say it is not affected.  Most of the naysayers say there is (or theoretically should be) with little first hand experience, myself included.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:00 pm »
Ok, thanks Steve.
Yea, I'd think there would be a lot of extra nasty trash heard by the SB, but I'm basing that on my own assumption.
I've box up my SB stuff. Might have to get it back out and give it a shot.
Thanks!

Bob

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:12 pm »
:lol: I'm with ya Brother!  :thumb:

Since the thread was bumped, I have a slightly off topic, but related question.

Bob

There is no end to the madness - sigh.

Every now & then I take another look at powerline networking & yet it still doesn't seem to meet the speed & economy of "N" wi-fi.  A recent article w/ products that claim 500mbs tested them and found all of them still only topping out at 30mbs at 100 feet distance.  Maybe ok for just music & if for some reason you can't or don't want to do wi-fi. 

Otherwise if for some reason you need an ethernet port remotely, the ol airport express is always a good option as an ethernet bridge - and at $69 refurbed or maybe less used, a reasonably economical option.