Audio Man Cave Essentials?

Mag

« on: 13 Nov 2019, 01:02 pm »

For me the #1 essential is being able to play music at concert level with little to no distortion, without having anyone complaining its too loud. :smoke:

rockadanny

Re: Audio Man Cave Essentials?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2019, 01:35 pm »
A barrier (I have door-sized framed opening but no door) to keep the cat and dog out. The mere sight of all of those tubes and switches keeps my wife out. :lol:

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2019, 01:59 pm »
A comfortable chair and a nice end table with a coaster to place my adult beverage.......

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2019, 03:23 pm »
Properly shaped, decently sized space that is acoustically/electrically isolated and as mentioned, equipped with comfy chair and side table.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2019, 03:56 pm »
An Audio Man Cave should look more like a cave than a hotel executive suite. Should not have a feminine touch to the decor.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2019, 04:06 pm »
An Audio Man Cave should look more like a cave than a hotel executive suite. Should not have a feminine touch to the decor.

Disagree.  We should be inviting more females into audio.  My study (man cave) has impressionist and jazz black & white artwork.  It certainly looks and feels more like an executive suite than a cold, dark, wet, brutish cave.

If cold, dark, and wet is what you're after, go sit out back in a shed this winter.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2019, 05:05 pm »
...a cold, dark, wet, brutish cave.

Mmmm, that could be why not many women join me, it's either the small furry animals grooving or my incoherent ranting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbbPSXUAmY

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2019, 05:09 pm »
Disagree.  We should be inviting more females into audio.  My study (man cave) has impressionist and jazz black & white artwork.  It certainly looks and feels more like an executive suite than a cold, dark, wet, brutish cave.

If cold, dark, and wet is what you're after, go sit out back in a shed this winter.

Keeping your feet warm while listening is another essential if you happen to live in northern latitudes in winter months. Like around here it can be -40 outside and it feels like -35 inside. Amps can heat up the room but heat rises and your feet are still frozen. You may need to wear wool socks, slippers or even fire up a floor heater. :smoke:

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2019, 08:02 pm »
I'd like to be able to play music up to 90dB without upsetting the rest of the house.

I'd also like to be able to listen to my music at 65dB and not be upset from sound from the rest of the house.

I need a comfortable chair, and a table - remote, iPad, drink etc.

I don't mind how it's decorated, as long as I can add treatments as I see fit.

Mr.Retro

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2019, 08:16 pm »
Essentials for a man cave - I am fortunate to have a dedicated listening space. For me a listening space needs to reflect my  interests and yet be arranged and displayed in a way that acoustically enhances the listening experience.  I feel the room should be functional for my other interests, yet  un compromising in sound and be a reflection of my personality.  I have art on the walls..... and two small out board motors..... Jackets, coats and hunting clothes hang along with hats and snowshoes, a bow and assorted decoys.  I have sailing gear and climbing gear along with the usual hi fi stuff - records etc. By mixing soft and hard goods, absorbers and diffusers, one can tailor the "man cave" to the man. Or woman in the case of a woman cave.
Lighting I would also include as a listening room essential.

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2019, 08:26 pm »
Shindo-1

lokie

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2019, 08:27 pm »
Shindo-1

sturgus

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2019, 08:45 pm »
Well stocked bar and a well stocked humidor  :icon_twisted:

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2019, 09:42 pm »

agreed, tho my cigar time is spent outside .........

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:34 am »
Shindo-1

You've got the idea, that's a Man Cave. Doesn't look to me like a women has influenced the decor. But I would hesitate to call it an Audio Man Cave. Why, because it doesn't look to me like that stereo could hit concert levels. Certainly the log cabin would contain high spl so this place should have a kick ass stereo setup. :nono:

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:38 am »

Not essentials IMO. A beverage yes, and smokes maybe. But I don't need to drink or smoke cigars to enjoy listening to my stereo. I'll chalk that up as a personal preference. 8)

twitch54

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2019, 06:22 pm »
Not essentials IMO. A beverage yes, and smokes maybe. But I don't need to drink or smoke cigars to enjoy listening to my stereo. I'll chalk that up as a personal preference. 8)

isn't that the point of the thread, 'ones essentials'  ?

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2019, 06:37 pm »
isn't that the point of the thread, 'ones essentials'  ?

He started the thread! It is "Man Cave Essential", not essential to stay alive...  :green:

WGH

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2019, 06:07 pm »
Cool find thanks. I want one of those sinks. Lets see what the Wife says.

charles