Netflix PC or PS3 or Roku Dilemna

GHM

Re: Netflix PC or PS3 or Roku Dilemna
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2010, 01:50 pm »
If you want a broad range of streaming content use www.clicker.com.  It and Hulu are my prefered ways to catch up on shows. Depending on the broadcast network the streaming is as good as cable or over the air.

This is where the HTPC shows what it can do. You could also pick up an HD Homerun and stream cable or OTA over the network to your display. Use Windows Media center as a DVR and record what you like when you like.
My main viewing screen is 120 inches...all of the above looks great! 

viggen

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2010, 04:58 pm »
Thanks again for everyone's reply.

I trialed Netflix lastnight.  So far, I've only been able to experience Netflix streaming via PC as my PS3 disc will not arrive until early next week.

For those interested, the first movie I queued up is James and the Giant Peach.  The video quality is horrible.  So, I thought "so this is what everyone is talking about" when viewing streams via PC.  I then questioned whether it has anything to do with MS Silverlight that I am forced to download to stream Netflix content.  Did a quick google, and did find a lot of others that also complained about it.  But, wanted to explore more...

I went into the HD section and sorted it for the highest rated on top.  I queued up Objectified, a documentary about industrial design, and the picture is close to BR.  Though I only use my TV's speakers, I can discern the audio is not good but good enough.  I then selected Ponyo, a Miyazaki anime movie, which I think is SD.  But, the video quality is not bad at all.  The audio is actually better than Objectified. 

Overall, my wife and I have only took a few minutes flip through the Netflix library but only found a few things here and there we want to watch.  Currently, I see us subscribing to Netflix maybe a few months out of the year.  The library will be further explored for more analysis.

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2010, 11:58 pm »
So, I've compared PC vs PS3.  There's very little difference between the two in terms of video and audio quality.  Of course, I need to qualify, this means MY PC is almost just as good as the PS3.  PS3's frame rate seem a bit smoother.  And, colors are rendered a bit better.  But, very marginally.

The big difference is the GUI.  PS3 is designed for the TV where as PC is designed for the computer monitor.  When using PC, I have to walk up to the TV to see what movie I am choosing.  With PS3, the icons are much bigger, so I can even read the movie descriptions before playing it while sitting on the couch.

However, I do prefer walking up to the TV to pick my movie because I can browse many movies at a time.  Whereas, I can only view one movie at a time on the PS3.  Using the PC to browse is faster for the impatient.

JDUBS

« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:00 am »
I'm shocked to hear this!  HDMI vs. HDMI?  1080p vs. 1080p?

Were you able to somehow bypass Silverlight?  My two are literally night and day different, with the PS3 being vastly better.

-Jim

viggen

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2010, 05:01 am »
Yup both are outputting 1080p via HDMI.  I never got around to fooling with Silverlight.  Didn't bypass Silverlight nor do I know how.

I thought in previous post you said video is good via your Dell?

Also want to add that Netflix has a very good documentary section.

GHM

« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2010, 10:42 am »
I've noticed the quality is depended on your video card and memory of the computer. Not all are created equal.