LED/LCD big screen value alert - at Best Buy!

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
Re: LED/LCD big screen value alert - at Best Buy!
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2010, 05:44 pm »
Check out http://hdguru.com/
Anything you need to know about LCD or Plasma is researched there.
He is the bane of industry folk and cuts through all the b.s..

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2010, 05:56 pm »
John, who wouldn't be nice? First of all with respect to Panasonic don't think it is without problems - http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462551-1.html I've spoken the person in Costco who happens to have a Plasma (he got a Samsung) and I'd be a bit wary based on what I've read. Supposedly the problems carries over, but to a lesser degree, in the current line. As for the remote issues, I grabbed an older Harmony several mos. back at Coscto (I have the Harmony One for the main system) and programmed the bedroom and basement system on it as it will do 15 devices. For $97.99 it was well worth it. I had Prontos prior to the Harmony and while I do like designing my own screen and can live without the Macros (I can put whatever buttons I want on the screen with the Pronto platfrorm), the Harmony takes no time to set up and is really easy. I've never really seen horrible problems with a refresh rate on any of my TVs. I put my old Vizio 1080p (probably 60Hz) 42 inch LCD I had in the bedroom for years in the kitchen and moved the old 720p (Vizio LCD) 32 inch to a spare bedroom (the contrast and black levels really suck on it as it is old). The 55 inch Vizio LED looks good in the bedroom. Of course if it was the main system I might be more picky. I have a BenQ W5000 DLP Projector in the main system and a low end Sony (720p) LCD projector in the basement system as the main room is 2 stories with lots of light, I'll probably watch an NBA game in a couple of hours in the basement. I may see what comes out at CEDIA in Sept. and decide if I want to do something with 3D in the basement or just wait a couple of years before I'm ready for the main system and move the main system projector downstairs. I'm hoping they come out with quality (at least a bit more than I currently have) 720p 3D projectors as that would seem to be a good upgrade and give me the excuse to use the basement system a bit more (I bought and mounted used height channels waiting to get a new receiver later this year).

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2010, 08:04 pm »
I took some of the last couple hours to really better understand how these LCD TV's work....and found this very helpful guide online:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcd-tv-calibration.html

I've spent considerable time monkeying around with:

1.  Black Level, normally found on the Brightness control
   2. White Level, usually called Contrast or Picture
   3. Sharpness, or sometimes Detail
   4. Color Saturation, usually labeled Color, or maybe Chroma
   5. Color Tint, also known as Hue

So, I thought I had exhausted all my options with these 5.

However, it goes on to say the following which is really instructive:

Beyond these basic settings, many modern TVs come packed with so-called "picture enhancements" which in reality do nothing but spoil an otherwise accurate, lifelike picture. Take a moment to dig through your TVs menus and disable any of these "features." What you're looking for is anything labeled edge enhancement or detail enhancement, flesh tone or color "correction," etc. This is a broad generalization, but basically anything not listed in the five controls above can be safely turned off.

When I turned these 'enhancements' off....the picture took a good step forward in naturalness :thumb: I am also toggling between warm and normal on the Color Temperature setting and hope to dial this one in and set.

Unless there is more to learn, I think I understand the range of options available now....it just remains to be seen if these changes are significant enough to warrant a longer stay for the Insignia NS-46E560A11 in my home :|

John

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2010, 11:37 pm »
I was at Walmart today. (yea, I know.... :roll:) and they have a 50" Sony plasma for $600, new in the box.
I almost bought one, just for the helluvit. Seemed impressive.
After you've read all the specs on all the new models til your blue in the face, there's a 50" highdef for $600 right down the street from you.
Any questions?

No. None here.

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2010, 03:54 am »
If a Wally World were 1/3 the distance they currently are from me now (the nearest one is about 30 miles and a long bridge away), I'd be there monthly to shop.

Next to Costco and maybe Aldi (a supermarket chain in Europe, US and other places)...they're the most efficient operators in the world and offer the most attractive values because of it.

One's definition of 'value' differs of course...but, there is a reason why once prevalent regional discount chains are largely kaput today. Wal-mart is THE reason for it.

If you've lived in St. Louis for a while...you might remember the now dead Ventures Stores based there.  It's not like they didn't try to stick around - too many irresistibly good value $600 plasma TV's at Wal-mart killed 'em off :)

John

Lyndon

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2010, 04:08 am »
John,
I remember those stores. I had a buddy in college, and on a few of our trips down to St. Louis to attend concerts at Kiel, and especially Fox Theater, he would turn to his current girlfriend, and say,
"You DO know why Ventures is better than all the rest of the mall chain stores...?"
She would shake her pretty little head, and he would respond,
"Because Ventures sells DIAMONDS!"
Totally cheesy, but it worked its little magic on those coeds.
 :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2010, 12:11 am »
Oh yea, I remember Venture. Owned by a company called "May Department Stores" if memory serves. It was a great place to shop for items like this when you're on a budget.

And yes....placed like Wallyworld have killed more than the "Ventures" of the world.  :|
I hate shopping there for that very reason.

Bob