Which is Best HDMI Cable

dflee

Which is Best HDMI Cable
« on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:11 pm »
Just getting started in the world of high def and would like to know if anyone has opinions on the different manufacturer's cables. Is an after market worth the extra money and is it important to get a DVD player with HDMI out verses the 75 OHM?

electricbear

Re: Which is Best HDMI Cable
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm »
The only way to access the newest audio formats on BluRay discs is through the hdmi connection. Also the only way to get 1080P is also through the hdmi connection. If your run is going to be short you can get away with one of the less expensive cables but if it is longer than about 3M you need to use one of higher quality. HDMI runs over 10M become very hit and miss. There are hundreds of cables claimimg that they can do 10M+ but in reality many of them don't do it reliably. If you are doing a 10M+ run use 2 runs of Cat6 with baluns.

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:33 pm »
Something of further interest is that manufacturers will stop putting anything other than hdmi on their equipment.
Within the next year or so the pieces of equipment that you own that have both hdmi and component connections will receive a software update whether you want them to or not. This software update will prevent your equipment from putting out anything higher than 480i through the component outputs. This software update wil be automatically included on any new dvds you buy or rent. It will also come in with your sat or cable signal. Basically there is no way you can prevent this from happening. The movie producers are paranoid about us being able to copy their work. If you are constructing a home or remodelling at the moment make sure that everywhere you are putting a tv or projector you run at least 2 cat6 and possably a fiber.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:43 pm »
The only way to access the newest audio formats on BluRay discs is through the hdmi connection. Also the only way to get 1080P is also through the hdmi connection.

Blu-ray uses HDCP copy protection and an HDCP compliant HDMI connection is required to play them.

The preferred Component video 75ohm coaxial cable is RG6, which in itself has sufficient bandwith for 1080p.  However the RCA connector is not a true 75ohm connector like the BNC connector, and that becomes the limiting factor which makes standard RG6 terminated with RCAs marginal.  With the forthcoming copy protection for Component video that electricbear mentions, this becomes a moot point.

In my own system, I have two 1080p displays, both connected with Monoprice Premium Flat HDMI cable, one is a 3 ft. cable and the other is a 25 ft. cable, at $5 and $22 respectively.  Both look excellent, and I have compared the 3 ft. cable with two other high priced cables at $90 and $175 and saw no difference.

Steve

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:07 pm »
Here's what C-net says on the subject. I found their flat panel reviews to be very reliable so I have to lend credence to the views expressed concerning cables too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:08 pm »
Oppo also sells a reasonably priced, well made HDMI cable.  I have one over 25' from my rack to my PJ and the picture is outstanding.

Bryan

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:15 pm »
Another retailer to take a look at is Blue Jeans Cables; they make excellent HDMI cables.

decal

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:20 pm »
"Best" is always in the eye/ear of the beholder.What's "best" for Joe Blow might not be "best" for you.These "what's best" questions only elicit answers that further confuse the asker.Just my opinion,humble as it may be.

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2010, 07:39 pm »
Monoprice (monoprice.com) sells very high quality HDMI cables at very inexpensive prices.  I use them throughout my HT system.  Can't beat the value.

NB

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:54 pm »
Oppo also sells a reasonably priced, well made HDMI cable.  I have one over 25' from my rack to my PJ and the picture is outstanding.
Ditto

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:02 pm »
Another retailer to take a look at is Blue Jeans Cables; they make excellent HDMI cables.

+1

All my HDMI cables are from Bluejeans and I am very happy with them.. Great quality at an extremely fair price.

They also have a lot of good info on their website when it comes to HDMI cables.

George

Kenobi

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:12 pm »
I have the Nuforce HDMI cable and thought it bested my monoprice premium HDMI.  Sharper, clearer, more articulate and punchy picture.

YMMV,

Kenobi

mshan

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:17 pm »
I have a Wireworld Ultra-Violet 5.2 premium flat HDMI cable, and compared to a very good basic round HDMI cable from Monoprice, I felt I saw an increase in clarity and sharpness (focus) from my PS3 to Samsung LN46A550.  An increased crispness and clarity of audio also, surprisingly, really stood out with this cable.

I would describe the basic Monoprice cable as being ever so slightly more coarse, but only if you compare it to a premium hdmi cable.

I tried the flat hdmi cable from Monoprice and prefer their round one to it (it also seems slightly out of tune, though I do notice lower noise compared to the round one).

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:32 am »

+1

Toka

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:56 pm »

+2 (or +3, whatever). Great product, great price, great service...and made (mostly) in the USA! Nobody else can say that...

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:38 am »
The best is probably from www.bluejeanscable.com

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:21 am »
dflee,

Check out this article:

http://hdguru.com/hdmi-what-the-big-retailers-don%E2%80%99t-want-you-to-know/12/

My vote goes with monoprice, or Blue Jeans Cable if you want a nicer look. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:39 am »
For people on a budget, try these HDMI cables on Amazon. They are built very well, looks great, and have a fantastic picture quality.

Mediabridge Ultra Series 6ft-$9.99

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Version-Category-Certified/dp/B0019EHU8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265351723&sr=8-2

mjosef

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:45 am »
Z best? For me, that would be the one I can purchase for a fraction of its retail price.
I use Belkin Pure AV silver series...retail was well over a 100 buckaroos, got it for about $20.  But I almost always shop at the clearance rack/bin.
However there are various levels of "best". Now the "Bestest", I am still seeking that specimen out. Its a long and winding road...YMWV

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:35 pm »