HD PVR box arrived today!

Levi

« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:05 am »
You can.  You could also build a Multimedia PC that will do basically the same function.  You can also get HD signal from your local station for free.  

Quote from: JoshK
I'd love to get one but I don't pay for TV, only OTA for me. Wonder if you can buy one of these babies out right without some pay through your @$$ crappy service.

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2005, 01:13 am »
I know about the local stations in HD, I know that I can build a PC to do the same thing (although this is pretty spendy actually).  I like the Dual tuners, this is important to my wife and I because we often want to record shows that come on at the same time on different channels.   I actually think I would prefer dual tuners to having HD capabilities itself.  But the all in one is great.

I do like not having to boot up to watch TV though, and this is the major drag of HTPCs.  I also don't like leaving everything on all the time as this sucks electricity and I have become cheap in my old age.  

PVR is the greatest invention since sliced bread IMO.  My wife and I now watch TV only from pre-recorded shows, at our own schedule and skip the commercials.  God bless PVRs!   I find that I watch TV a lot less because of this.  Maybe an hour&half a few times a week and the rest of the time I am productive or at least sorta productive.

jermmd

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2005, 02:42 am »
PVR is the greatest invention since sliced bread IMO. My wife and I now watch TV only from pre-recorded shows, at our own schedule and skip the commercials. God bless PVRs! I find that I watch TV a lot less because of this. Maybe an hour&half a few times a week and the rest of the time I am productive or at least sorta productive.

I agree.  It's amazing to me that there are still people who don't use a PVR.  They have no idea what they're missing.

Joe M.