Listening Chair 2 Channel ?

Wig

Listening Chair 2 Channel ?
« on: 7 Feb 2014, 01:09 am »
Guys,

Seeing lots of people using Panag as their listening chair, are there any other choices that are reasonable?

Thanks,
Wig :D

low.pfile

Re: Listening Chair 2 Channel ?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2014, 02:04 am »
wig, I think a huge factor is the listeners physical size, especially height. many chairs may not provide enough support for taller listeners  or have backrests that are too tall (e.g. not blocking the sound to your ear and/or causing unwanted reflection into your ear...may be a problem for some but not others) but some body sizes just won't fit into certain chair styles.

The chair you mentioned is actually a Poang chair from Ikea. It's difficult to beat the value of Ikea furniture (they start at $70)

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2014, 02:22 am »
BTW, an old "Listening Chair" thread on AC:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78610.0

Wig

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2014, 02:42 am »
low.pfile,

Thanks for your post and link, much appreciated! I'm 6'2" and am considering the leather Poang and I could just throw one of my wifes quilt over the headrest to absorb any unwanted reflections.

Thanks again,
Wig :thumb:

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2014, 04:50 am »
If one is looking for something nice, but a little pricy, Thrive furniture chairs --the Kennedy and the Eisenhower Chairs specifically-- are great.
http://www.thrivefurniture.com/chairs/
I waited for the  20% off Fourth of July sale... That crossed off price on the site is BS btw. Still not cheep though! But I got the Kennedy for long term... Very good quality chair. Heirloom.

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2014, 06:22 am »
Very nice Mid Century Mod chairs JRIGGY, I really like the leather Kennedy-but at $1700, in a different league than that $70 Ikea chair!  I splurged myself so now have one really nice piece of furniture and listening chair: Eames lounge + ottoman.

wig,

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62536
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=5576
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=225
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109865.0

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum

mhconley

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2014, 01:50 pm »
That Eames is nice.  I'd take an Ekornes Stressless Vegas too:

Martin

Bob2

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2014, 01:59 pm »
Ekornes Stressless Vegas too

Oh! That's nice! Looks very comfy.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2014, 02:17 pm »
Just like the op's nic, you need a low profile chair that avoids reflections from the rear of the chair.  I've tried both and there is no comparison.  A high backed chair muffled the sound compared to an open design.  Absorbing the reflections with a pillow or a blanket didn't work well as the absorption was very uneven.  One like the old Maxwell commercial works the best.

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:02 pm »
For low back how about a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona Chair?

They're comfy and you can find knock-offs at less than 1/20th the price of the real thing.  It may sit too low though...

Martin

Bob2

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:19 pm »
Mies van der Rohe Barcelona Chair

I like that one also!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:29 pm »
I'm picky about this.  I wouldn't want a leather chair for fear that this fabric would be less than forgiving of waveforms near my ears.  In particular, a leather chair with a high back.  If I were forced to sit with my back on a wall, maybe this would be less of an issue, dunno for sure.  Givin my druthers, I wouldn't sit with my back on a wall.  Just like my speaker placement, my rear end, too, would be and is out from the wall behind my seat.  Look at the Cardas website for ideas.  I don't subscribe to the rule of thirds exactly, but this is a good starting point from which to experiment.  Particularly if you listen to a lot of acoustic music and/or music recorded on location.  I likes a stage that will more envelope me and with depth of field and believe that too early arriving reflected waveforms from any source may compromise that.   

Something like what Let said.

R_burke

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2014, 03:30 pm »
This is what I have:

Bob2

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:15 am »
I admit that I don't know much about early reflections ect. but I know that my chair's back rest only comes up to my shoulders. Since I'm 5 11 I do not feel that my chair has any influence on the sound.... I do not care if it does..!  Admittedly my system is pretty low-fi but I do not feel that the back rest influences what I hear...that may change soon but I listen to relax.. if I'm looking for expanded soundstage then I just lean forward.
I prefer to be comfortable even if there is a compromise in what I hear..YMMV!

R_burke looks like a very comfy chair!  Rock on my man!

Compromising comfort is pretty hardcore...I'm not there yet and doubt that I will  be!!

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:46 am »
I have a friend that teases me about my treated room.

He wants to know if I wear a big wool sweater if its ant different than if
I wear no shirt at all.
Truthfully, I wont try it......just in case I find a preference..... 8)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2014, 01:15 am »
This is what I have:

I've got one of those as well - just not in my listening area.

One of the most comfortable chairs I've ever been in. (My wife ends up sleeping in it most nights  :shake:) We're about to wear it out almost 15 years. Looking at replacing the pads and leather in the near future. Wish they weren't so expensive or I'd just buy a new one or two.  :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2014, 01:17 am »
This is what I have:

What is it?  :scratch:

SoCalWJS

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:17 am »
For low back how about a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona Chair?

They're comfy and you can find knock-offs at less than 1/20th the price of the real thing.  It may sit too low though...

Martin

Or something like this, the Le Corbusier LC2 chair, also widely available at knockoff prices:

Famously featured in the ad I mentioned above: