A/V receivers under $2K with 2ch audio priority

mantis

A/V receivers under $2K with 2ch audio priority
« on: 8 Jun 2012, 01:17 pm »
Looking for suggestions for hi power A/V receiver for 90% 2 channel listening, 10% 5 channel movie use for VMPS RM2 speakers.

johzel

Re: A/V receivers under $2K with 2ch audio priority
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2012, 01:45 pm »
Given your emphasis on 2-channel priority I'd be inclined to look for a 2-channel integrated with home theater bypass and then maybe add a used inexpensive A/V receiver for your 5-channel (these can be had quite inexpensively, something from Marantz possibly).  Run the front channels of the A/V receiver through the Integrated's HT Bypass . . . . works great for me.

kbuzz3

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2012, 01:48 pm »
Given your emphasis on 2-channel priority I'd be inclined to look for a 2-channel integrated with home theater bypass and then maybe add a used inexpensive A/V receiver for your 5-channel (these can be had quite inexpensively, something from Marantz possibly).  Run the front channels of the A/V receiver through the Integrated's HT Bypass . . . . works great for me.

Im in a similar situation.  Forgive my HT 5.1 ignorance.  Will the bypass work with a pre-pro too?  I have a great 5.1 amp and looking for a 2kish pre-pro.  Only choice seems to be the onkyo/integra or marantz.  If one does not like two channel with a pre pro- can they then run any standard pre amp through the system -so long as it has HT bypass?

saeyedoc

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2012, 02:02 pm »
Im in a similar situation.  Forgive my HT 5.1 ignorance.  Will the bypass work with a pre-pro too?  I have a great 5.1 amp and looking for a 2kish pre-pro.  Only choice seems to be the onkyo/integra or marantz.  If one does not like two channel with a pre pro- can they then run any standard pre amp through the system -so long as it has HT bypass?
Yes, with bypass on, the 2 channel pre-amp just passes everything through so the pre/pro handles the volume and EQ. When listening to 2-ch, you don't have to turn the 5 channel pre/pro on.
At $2k, you're just as well off buying a receiver such as the Denon 4311 or Anthem MRX series. You can use an external amp with the pre-outs if you need it, the reciever should at least be ok to drive the surrounds.

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2012, 03:07 pm »
I bought a yamaha rx-a3000 on closeout at bestbuy recently. A wonderful receiver. I primarily use it for 2 ch listening, and to my ears they were much better than the pioneer elite and denon. I am pairing this with my selah SSR, and will later use it with the ER18 MTM that i'm building.
You might want to look at 3010 or the recently announced 3020.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2012, 03:44 pm »
The Audiolab 8200AP caught my attention recently. It takes a minimalist approach towards the HT side with no room eq or fancy features. Looks like it is available via direct order from the Canadian distributor.

navin

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2012, 11:23 am »

I too am in the same predicament. I am making Selah audio designed SEAS Excel front tower, center and rear speakers and 2 subwoofers (a 15" TC Sounds in the front and a 10" SEAS ROY for the rear). The 15" subwoofer will have a BASH 500W plate amplifier and the 10" SEAS subwoofer would have a 300W plate amplifier.

Initially I was thinking of getting a AV Receiver (Marantz SR7005) and adding a power amp (Marantz MM7055) for the center and front speaker relieving the AVR of much of the power requirements. 2 people whose opinion I respect, (an old audiophile friend) and my brother in law (another audiophile), suggested that I should instead consider an Integrated Stereo Amplifer for audio (CD Player, Audio Media Player) and an AV Receiver for 5.1.

The components my brother in law suggested was the Yamaha A-S2000 Amplifier and Aventage A1010 AV Receiver (see links).
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s2000__g/?mode=model

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=52208

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/rx-a1010_g/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=31019

For movies, the front pre-output of the AV Receiver would then feed the main-in/power-in of the Integrated Stereo Amplifier. See pages 19 and 23 of the Aventage 1010 manual and page 15 of the S2000 manual.

For audio, the pre-out of the Integrated Stereo Amplifier would then need to be connected to the AV Receiver as the suwoofers would not get a signal. How would I do this? Which connection (CD or Multi-channel) should I use?

If I connect the subwoofer to the S2000's pre out instead the subwoofer will not get LFE signal for movies. Is there a way to connect both the Integrated Stereo Amplifier's pre-outs and the AVR's LFE (subwoofer) pre out to the same subwoofer?

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm »
I'd look at Arcam and Anthem.

johzel

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2012, 01:22 pm »

If I connect the subwoofer to the S2000's pre out instead the subwoofer will not get LFE signal for movies. Is there a way to connect both the Integrated Stereo Amplifier's pre-outs and the AVR's LFE (subwoofer) pre out to the same subwoofer?

I no longer use my subwoofer for 2-channel listening so I run the sub out from my A/V receiver.  However, if you wish to use the sub for both I believe you could run the sub out from your 2-ch amp by going into the A/V amp's set-up menu, set the sub to "off" and set the front speakers to "large" (without knowing your particular A/V amp).  That would send the full signal to the front speakers through the HT Bypass and the signal to the sub would go out through your 2-ch amp.  which would then work for both 2-ch and AV.  I believe that's how it could be done.

navin

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2012, 05:46 pm »
However, if you wish to use the sub for both I believe you could run the sub out from your 2-ch amp by going into the A/V amp's set-up menu, set the sub to "off" and set the front speakers to "large" (without knowing your particular A/V amp).  That would send the full signal to the front speakers through the HT Bypass and the signal to the sub would go out through your 2-ch amp.  which would then work for both 2-ch and AV.  I believe that's how it could be done.

The AV Receiver I am thinking of is the Aventage A1010 AV Receiver, along with the Yamaha S2000 Integrated (see links).
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s2000__g/?mode=model
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=52208
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/rx-a1010_g/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=31019

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2012, 11:21 pm »
With an audio priority I went with a 2.1 system years ago.  The key is finding speakers that throw a large but well defined center image.  This solution is cheaper (allowing you to invest in better quality), more domestically friendly (simplier, fewer wires/cabinets), and keeps you firmly in the audio realm.

It also helps with computer audio sources if you don't have HDMI output.  I went with Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's ($350/pair).  They are excellent imagers, extreme content value, but you must upgrade the finishes to match any "grown up" interiors.  As 2-way standmounts they lack deep bass, but a sub can be dialed into the room/your taste.

kbuzz3

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2012, 12:48 am »
Anyone want to throwmout reccomendations for a 2k ish pre pro or used av reciever with emphasis on two channel.   Seems onkyo is the only name discussed  on most boards   But Im curious as to  whether say an anthem or used cary would be mo better.   Although i suspect the answer it to buy a  reliable pre pro ormreciever with pre amp out  and spring for a true  audio pre with pass through. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:24 am »
Anthem offers good A/V pre, but more money than their nice receivers.  The Upgrade Company sells a modded MX-500 for $1650.  (This is not your ordinary modder, no "standard recipe" mods, full satisfaction guarantee, works on all kinds of stuff.  I ran into a guy last month who visited the place and spoke with the main guy.  He had just finished working on some top drawer McIntosh pieces and was shipping them to McIntosh (without their invitation) to show them how they should be building them in the first place - gotta love that kind of nerve.

navin

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:15 pm »
I'd look at Arcam and Anthem.

For the bedroom I am considering Arcam (Anthem is not distributed in India) to drive a pair of Selah Tempesta Extremes. Can the Arcam be bi-amped? That is can the rear channels be used to drive say the front mid-hf while the front channels drive the woofers? I know this is not true bi-amping but at least one gets access to 3 db more power.

For the living room (the system described earlier on this thread) it is between the Marantz 7007, Denon 3313 or maybe the NAD 757. The Yamaha 1020 will take many months to arrive in India and I can't wait that long. How does the older Yamaha 1010 compare against the Denon and Marantz?

The dark horse is a Denon 4311 that I am trying to source. If I can get it for under $1800 in India it would be my first choice.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:29 pm »
For the bedroom I am considering Arcam (Anthem is not distributed in India) to drive a pair of Selah Tempesta Extremes. Can the Arcam be bi-amped? That is can the rear channels be used to drive say the front mid-hf while the front channels drive the woofers? I know this is not true bi-amping but at least one gets access to 3 db more power.

For the living room (the system described earlier on this thread) it is between the Marantz 7007, Denon 3313 or maybe the NAD 757. The Yamaha 1020 will take many months to arrive in India and I can't wait that long. How does the older Yamaha 1010 compare against the Denon and Marantz?

The dark horse is a Denon 4311 that I am trying to source. If I can get it for under $1800 in India it would be my first choice.

It looks like Anthem is distributed in India, http://www.kripaindia.com/

Perhaps a call or a visit to these folks will help you get answer your questions. Their website says that they carry Anthem, Arcam, Denon, and Yamaha.

http://www.decibel.co.in/drupal_new/electronics

srb

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:15 pm »
Can the Arcam be bi-amped? That is can the rear channels be used to drive say the front mid-hf while the front channels drive the woofers? I know this is not true bi-amping but at least one gets access to 3 db more power.

The Arcam receivers can be used to bi-amp speakers that have dual binding posts for LF/HF.  The Surround Back speakers outputs can be optionally used to either (a) bi-amp the Front L/R speakers or (b) power Zone 2 speakers.

Because the woofers will proportionally use much more power than the mid/hf, you won't realize 3dB greater output, but you still might gain a smaller increase in output capablility and/or sound quality.

Steve

navin

« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:06 pm »
It looks like Anthem is distributed in India, http://www.kripaindia.com/
http://www.decibel.co.in/drupal_new/electronics

Wow thanks for that link. They are quite far from where I am (about 1500km or 1000 miles) but I am sure they would have a sub-dealer or some sort of representative in a city the size of Mumbai (Bombay).

Funny that they represent almost all of the AVR brands I had short listed, yet I have never seen a show room of theirs or even heard of them.

Srb, yes I understand what you mean. This will be even more true given that the midrange in the Tempestas XOs at about 700 Hz or so. I might gain less than 2db but it can't hurt. I won't be using channels 6 & 7 anyway. The bedroom system is 4.1. The Arcam retails for about $3000 locally.

Any opinion on the Marantz 7007, Denon 3313, Yamaha 1010 comparo? Another option is the Onkyo 818 which has Mult EQ XT32 like the Denon 4311. I suspect that this room would need a lot more help from DSP correction than my bedroom so the XT32 would come handy.

Prices for the 3313, 7007, and 818 are about the same here (roughly $1500). The NAD 757 is about $300 more. I do not have a price on the Yamahas or Denon 4311.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:55 pm »
I've heard some excellent things about the Cambridge Audio Azur 551R. Audio performance is supposed to be especially good, but you do give up some HT features, like room equalization, etc.

Home Theater.com Review

navin

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2012, 10:47 am »
I've heard some excellent things about the Cambridge Audio Azur 551R. Audio performance is supposed to be especially good, but you do give up some HT features, like room equalization, etc.

Home Theater.com Review

Thanks but...

For the bedroom the Arcam AVR 400 seems to be "it". Here my listening is 70% 2 channel and 30% movies and games

For the living room I am trying to get a Denon 4311 (it has Audessey XT32 and Airplay) failing which the Onkyo 818 (since the Yamaha A1020 seems quite a ways off here).

Any other options of XT32 equipped AVRs that sound good?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2012, 02:12 am »
I recently got a Marantz AV7005 processor, which I compared favorably against older Anthems (AVM30 + D1) & Krell (Showcase) I tried against it and it more than held it's own.  Price for features it was even better, especially now that they can often be had for about USD1100. The SR7005 receiver is going to be very similar at a similar price.

As far as I can tell no Marantz has Audyssey XT32, but the SR/AV7005 do have MultEQ Pro which allow an installation professional to take more measurements, among other things.  The resolution is still XT and not XT32, but if you have a trained / experienced Audyssey technician in your area and have a tricky room, it may be worth it.  Where I live I know at least one dealer that will come out to your house & do this for USD150.

Otherwise I think the SR/AV7005 meets your features & sound quality requirements.  I'm pretty fussy about sound quality and have separate 2 channel audio systems, but found the AV7005 processor could satisfy critical listeners for both 2 channel & multi-channel audio, which is why I believe it has a top Stereophile rating.

I think it's generally accepted that Marantz offers the best sound quality in the more mass market segment of processors / receivers, whereas Denon etc offer more features.  If you feel that the XT32 is very important, then perhaps a Denon makes the most sense.  Otherwise a Marantz.