Plasma TV Questions

John151

Plasma TV Questions
« on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:13 am »
I am in search of a plasma in the 46 to 50" range.  Looking for quality and low cost.  Don't need fancy features, not interest in 3D.  I am a plasma guy, so no point in even discussing alternative technologies.

It is hard to evaluate TVs in the big box stores, so I am looking for your expert opinions.  Specifically, I have two questions:

1)  In a 50" plasma, does 1080P provide a big improvement over 720P.  From what I have seen in the big box stores, I would say no.  However, I have no idea of the source signal, etc. 

2) I am a Panny fan, but have found lots of reports of the Panny's blowing power supplies and video boards.   Many of these posts state that Panny is not standing behind their product as well.   I own two 2005/2006 panny plasma sets, both of which have been rock solid.  Any thoughts on how legit these posts are?

Thanks in advance!   :thumb:

xr2

Re: Plasma TV Questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:40 am »
Not being a plasma fan, I can't comment on Panasonic's quality or service..

But I can comment on 1080p vs. 720p.  There are two questions here.  First, how good is your eyesight?  If you have perfect 20/20 vision, then it may be worth it, otherwise, probably not.  Also, how close will you sit to the screen?  More than 1.5x - 2.0x the diagonal (so 6-9 feet in this case), and it may also be hard to tell.

John151

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:50 am »
My eyesight is decent, but I am over 40, so I am losing some clarity of vision.  So far, I only need  reading glasses (but get some benefit from far correction).  Wife has heavy correction - no idea how well she sees.  On current TV, she does not seem to notice difference between HD and non-HD.

The TV is for a vacation home, so non-critical viewing, and will not get a lot of use.  Seating will be L shaped arrangement with a couch and love seat.  Love seat faces the TV and is approx 13'-15' away.   Couch is perpendicular to the TV, one end close to TV, one end close to love seat.  Not ideal, but not much we can do about the room shape and size. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2011, 06:04 am »
IMO  If you are sitting more than 5ft away from screen you can detect difference in 1080 vs. 720.

But...... If you generally watch regular cable or sat. channels and not HD movies or bluRay you may not see much difference, like audio your source of signal is important.

Every one I know with PanasonicPlasma are very happy and have had no problems. Remember to get the best from plasma your room should be Dark.

You most likely know these points but i thought I would type abit.

Oh and there are a few levels of quality from panasonic  ST, GT, VT. Imo there is a difference but for me unless I was looking for a REFERENCE SYSTEM I would buy the ST and save a bunch. If you need the best the VT is the only way to go.

Zero

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2011, 06:30 am »
1) The only time you'll ever be able to tell the difference between a 1080p capable screen and a 720 screen (so far as resolution goes) is when viewing 1080p content. So if you plan on playing consoles (such as Xbox or PS3) or plan on watching movies on Bluray, go with a 1080p screen.  You'll like the extra resolution. However, if all you plan on watching is regular cable, standard DVD's, or even regular high definition TV -  a 720p screen will do just fine.

2) I've worked closely with Panasonic plasma screens for the past couple of years.  The only legit mass-issue that I've seen from any of their recent offerings has been the well documented accelerated rising-black issues. I believe this problem persisted throughout half the production cycle of the S and GT lines nearly two years ago.  The issue has since been resolved.  As for reports of blown power supplies and fried video boards...  I suppose its possible, though I've not seen anything like that on a wide scale.

Besides, most power supplies and video card's don't just "blow". The only way that'll happen is if the circuit protection on the screen is bogus.  And to my knowledge, Panasonic does an OK job in this regard. No, it won't protect against severe power surges (which can easily cause power supplies or video cards to blow)... but there aren't too many TV's that are built to take that kinda abuse...  anyway, moving on...

No manufacturer makes the perfect product.  But so far as plasmas go, it's tough to beat Panasonic.  Hell, plasma's are what they do best. 

PMAT

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2011, 06:49 am »
Ditto on the 720  :thumb: I have both and the 720 with a decent feed is a great picture. No problems with 2 Pannys. BUT if the 1080 is just a couple hundred more (don't know nowadays) get it. Two dinners at a decent restaurant, right? The no regret factor is big with me. By the way I have a 42 Fujitsu in 720 that is incredible ($4500, calibrated, back when). 7 years perfect and my friends think it's 1080.  :D

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm »
I agree with most posting here.  I think you will be happy with the 720 given your environment and content.  If you were going to watch alot of 1080p material or gaming I'd get the 1080p.  But for casual HD sat/cable the 720 would be fine.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:15 pm »
For the vacation home? 1080P You got the cash  :wink:
To get the best 2D picture you need to buy a 3D TV.
For that viewing distance I would go bigger.

John151

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:34 pm »
Thanks for the input!  Now I just need to man up, grow a pair, and make a flippin decision.    :lol:

bogiedr

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2011, 06:57 pm »
Do it! I have a 60 Panny and love the thing! Most realistic picture I have ever seen. At 1080 and a 600Hz refresh rate, duuude!! Thank about awesome for sports and action movies!!! Concerned with quality? Throw extended warranty at the Buy and no worries! They fix it at home!
Good luck and hit them straght!!

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:20 pm »
I would suggest you also take a look at Samsung plasmas, especially given your circumstances. The top end Panny plasmas are the best, but IMO Samsung is very close and is less expensive. FWIW, I wouldn't consider a plasma from anyone other than Panasonic or Samsung.

Given you viewing conditions you probably won't see a real difference between 720p and 1080p, but virtually all of the decent plasmas 50" and larger are 1080p. So unless you're looking at a used Pioneer Kuro it will probably be 1080p. Also, don't dismiss a display simply because it has 3D. Most of the better Panny and Sammy plasmas are 3D ready, but they are also excellent 2D displays.

Disclosure: I own a 58" Sammy plasma and love it.

John151

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2011, 09:25 pm »
Well, the deal is done.  BB and hhgregg both had the Panny 720P TCP50X3 for $499, which is a discontinued model.  Local sales tax here is 9.5%, but the sales tax at the vacation home is 5.5%.  BB agreed to free delivery and the 5.5% sales tax.  However, the warehouse that serves the area of the 2nd home does not have the TCP50X3 model, so they swapped in the current model (tc-p5032c).  Also picked up a Panny Blu Ray for $79 ($20 off).  The TC-P5032C does not do internet apps, but the BluRay player does, so all is good.  The bottom line cost is $611 for TV and BR player delivered.   Can't beat that!  Getting a new model also puts my mind at ease about the issues I have read about on the net (gotta believe if there were wide spread failures, they would certainly be fixed by now).

I should note that each time we go TV shopping, the wife points to a Panny Plasma and says "that one has the best picture".   Today was no exception.   She does not know anything about the brands or the technologies, so I believe she is unbiased.   Works for me. 

We won't be up there until after Christmas, so won't know how well I like the TV until then.     :duh:

Thanks for your input.   :thumb:

Happy Holiday!

viggen

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:23 pm »
A few years ago it seemed 1080p plasma screens weren't as bright as 720p screens.  I don't know if this is still the case. 

I prefer Plasma for movies but LCD for everything else.

K Shep

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm »
Well, the deal is done.  BB and hhgregg both had the Panny 720P TCP50X3 for $499, which is a discontinued model.  Local sales tax here is 9.5%, but the sales tax at the vacation home is 5.5%.  BB agreed to free delivery and the 5.5% sales tax.  However, the warehouse that serves the area of the 2nd home does not have the TCP50X3 model, so they swapped in the current model (tc-p5032c).  Also picked up a Panny Blu Ray for $79 ($20 off).  The TC-P5032C does not do internet apps, but the BluRay player does, so all is good.  The bottom line cost is $611 for TV and BR player delivered.   Can't beat that!  Getting a new model also puts my mind at ease about the issues I have read about on the net (gotta believe if there were wide spread failures, they would certainly be fixed by now).

I should note that each time we go TV shopping, the wife points to a Panny Plasma and says "that one has the best picture".   Today was no exception.   She does not know anything about the brands or the technologies, so I believe she is unbiased.   Works for me. 

We won't be up there until after Christmas, so won't know how well I like the TV until then.     :duh:

Thanks for your input.   :thumb:

Happy Holiday!

The way I understand it you won't be watching true Blu Ray DVDs with your TV and player combo. That may not be an issue.

John151

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm »
The way I understand it you won't be watching true Blu Ray DVDs with your TV and player combo. That may not be an issue.

???? 

low.pfile

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:49 pm »
^^^ I think it's just because the 1080P Bluray content will not be displayed at 1080p on your 720p display. that's all.

K Shep

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm »

????

As low.pfile shared, Blu Ray is 1080p, your TV's native resolution is 720p so when you play a Blu Ray DVD your TV will down convert the 1080p signal to 720p. 

code4246

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2011, 08:40 am »
1080p sets are so affordable now, as is the proliferation of 1080p material (HDTV,BD etc.) I would never consider a 720p tv.

John151

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:04 pm »
1080p sets are so affordable now, as is the proliferation of 1080p material (HDTV,BD etc.) I would never consider a 720p tv.

I agree that the prices have come down nicely, but upgrading to 1080P increases my cost from $499 to $799 - that is a large % increase.  Keep in mind that I am not looking to build out a home theater, just putting a TV in a room that will not get much use.  The TV just needs to be "good enough" and be reliable. 

K Shep

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2011, 03:46 pm »
I agree that the prices have come down nicely, but upgrading to 1080P increases my cost from $499 to $799 - that is a large % increase.  Keep in mind that I am not looking to build out a home theater, just putting a TV in a room that will not get much use.  The TV just needs to be "good enough" and be reliable.

And for a 2nd residence the savings makes perfect sense.  Put the $300 toward your audio budget.

I have an early model Panny 42" - 720p in my bedroom that, I hate to say, I watch every night and love it.  It's 6 years old, I paid around $2000 for it.  :wink: