Starting gate

rab1234

Starting gate
« on: 18 Jul 2011, 06:21 pm »
I hope this question is not too dumb, I have read up some to prepare but don't want to get too deep due to lack of knowledge.

My wife and kids have one or the other so we have an ipod, iphone and ipad.

I have a Wadia 171i and a good 16 bit dac (CJ Premier 9) and will be upgrading it soon (EE or PS Audio)

All their itunes music is lossy AAC 256 VBR

So I'm asking for guidance to... Apple lossless? WAV files? Do I need software on ipad (Amarra?). Everone wants to sell you something so I figure you guys might help?

Thanks

Crimson

Re: Starting gate
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:15 pm »
Hi,

I'm a little unclear as to what your specific question is, but assuming you're already familiar with iTunes, ripping to Apple Lossless, AIFF, or WAV is a good place to start. If you're looking to maintain your idevices as transports, Apple Lossless is probably best. If you're going to use a computer as a transport, the latter two formats would be my choice.

rab1234

Re: Starting gate
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2011, 04:56 am »
Thank you, now I'm more confident that I wont waste time regarding file types. Any good software sugestions - one I read was using xact convert FLAC to AIFF then import to itunes. Can I do the same with amarra for WAV files? I have access to MS XP and an IPad. And lastly it sounds like I would have to move away from idevices for the higher rez lossless audio. Any truth in audio benifits with a stripped down dedicated "music only" computer?