Anyone try an external DVD/CD-ROM drive for the Mac Mini?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Guess I'm a little paranoid my noisy vibrating internal Mini drive might damage a CD.  I called Apple Care who told me a noisy vibrating Mini DVD/CD-ROM drive is not normal and could theoretically damage a CD.   Anyone have any experience with a reliable quiet external DVD/CD-ROM drive?  I prefer a FireWire drive but as USB drive will do.  Thanks.

simon wagstaff

Re: Anyone try an external DVD/CD-ROM drive for the Mac Mini?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:45 pm »
I had a couple of Memorex DVD burners that were USB 2 connected to my iMac.  I burn a lot of discs. Had them for a little over two years and they started to give me trouble. I just dumped them and bought a couple of LG USB 2 drives, DVD CD burners from New Egg I think for 30 bucks. No reason they won't work just as well with a Mac Mini.

I have always been a little paranoid about those internal Mac drives.  they are generally not state of the art in terms of burn speed and once, a long time ago, I had trouble getting a disc out and haven't really used the internal drive since.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2011, 02:37 pm »
Guess I'm a little paranoid my noisy vibrating internal Mini drive might damage a CD.  I called Apple Care who told me a noisy vibrating Mini DVD/CD-ROM drive is not normal and could theoretically damage a CD.   Anyone have any experience with a reliable quiet external DVD/CD-ROM drive?  I prefer a FireWire drive but as USB drive will do.  Thanks.

Why not bring the Mini in for service and fix the problem?

avta

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2011, 02:55 pm »
I second that. I'm a long time Mini user and have not run into your problem. I'm sure you could find a suitable external drive but I would worry that if you don't find out what's wrong and get it fixed you may run into other problems later.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:02 pm »
and if it's not under warranty see here http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/superdrive/

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm »
Thanks for the link!