Going SOLAR! What does this mean for my audio?

jules

Going SOLAR! What does this mean for my audio?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2005, 12:09 am »
Josh,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say inverters are noisy. Small tacky inverters aside, the sort of equipment that is used for home solar electrical supplies provides a power supply that is dead silent. In most cases it is going to superior in wave form, superior in stability, free from fluctuations and free of junk interference [no, I have nothing to do with selling the stuff, I just use it]. Some inverters have cooling fans but they are usually installed somwhere that this doesn't matter [the fans aren't all that big anyway].

There can be disadvantages to DC supplies

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17661&highlight=batteries&sid=44b63243d94a3cc363e0919d81b0098f

I'd be fairly confident that solar energy use will increase rapidly when people realize the degree of sophistication achieved now, particularly with regulation and management systems.

Solar panels have very long lifespans [30 years is quite possible] which have progressively lengthened. The weakpoint as far as stand-alones is concerned, remains the storage batteries. These are quite expensive and maximising their lifespan requires some care.  

jules