2014........American road racing at it's best !

twitch54

2014........American road racing at it's best !
« on: 9 Sep 2012, 09:52 pm »
ALMS and Rolex Grand Am to race together in 2014, I'm looking forward to it.......I think !

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: 2014........American road racing at it's best !
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2012, 10:20 pm »
I'm looking forward to the races themselves ... unfortunately it just means there will be 1/2 as many total prototype and GT races.  I'm hoping they'll adopt prototypes inline with current ALMS, and GT's like current GrandAm.  Oh, also they'd better not drop Petite LeMans!

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2012, 02:16 am »
Personally, I prefer separate races for different classes. This current amalgamation of leagues is not what fans want.

I call BS.

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2012, 03:07 am »
The two series had different formats and regulations.  Wonder if the combined groups will follow the international FIA regs. 

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2012, 09:37 pm »
since the Rolex series was 'NASCAR' I for one would prefer more of an ALMS influence, especially in GT where the worlds best sports car mfg were represented. Yes, I'm a fan of 'Jake' !

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2012, 09:53 pm »
ALMS was a joke this year.  Four or five classes all running at once and TV coverage that did not allow one to track any of them well.  Three cars in the fast class, who often were half fast as slower class cars beat them.  I was surprised that they did not have a Formula V or Go Cart class out there too to fill the grids.

Rolex at least has two classes and decent competition.  If they want a buncha classes they need a buncha separate races.  I think ALMS ran so many classes is only because they did not have decent numbers in any of their classes.  Most of them can vanish. I won't miss them.

Frank Van Alstine

By the way "downforce" is totally screwing all auto racing these days from Nascar to F1.  It makes braking zones so short and cornering speeds so high that almost all race tracks are obsolete now.  Nascar has turned into a "good or bad "tars" procession" and almost all racing is just follow the leader, big killer Indy Car super speedways excepted.  If I want to watch aerodynamic races, I will go to Reno and watch the WWII fighter planes race.  The cure, easy, bolt a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood vertically to the front of each race car and then then can have at it.  Bah humbug!

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2012, 07:01 pm »
I think ALMS ran so many classes is only because they did not have decent numbers in any of their classes.  Most of them can vanish. I won't miss them.

Frank, I watch ALMS for the GT class and with Viper hopefully making a nice comeback to add to the competition where else can we see this kind of GT racing here in North America. I do agree though on the sheer number of classes.

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:11 am »
didn't see the race from VIR, I guess 'Jake' did A-OK !

enjoythemusic

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm »
Agree, it is SAD news that the USA can not support a few separate road racing leagues at the upper ranks. For the viewer/enthusiasts, it is a loser. For THE TEAMS it means once the initial costs are done, ongoing costs should be 'reasonable' overall.

If it was me... reduce aero, reduce driver 'aids' and increase mechanical grip just a bit.