Updated Line force (Super LS? )

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Updated Line force (Super LS? )
« Reply #160 on: 6 Apr 2021, 10:53 pm »
Here's a photo of one of the caps. There are several similar size caps in each crossover  :green:

Knowing how big the NXStudio Miflex caps I got recently are, I think I know exactly which one that is! :wink:
Iirc, aren't the KPCU-02 the units with both leads on the same side?

Will you be using miflex bypass caps as well or the Duelund caps I've seen others mention?
What were your pics for the resistors & inductors?

Jaytor

« Reply #161 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:02 pm »
Yes, the KPCU-2 caps have both leads coming from the same end.

I am still waiting on the inductors and resistors. Dang is shipping them to me shortly.

I haven’t decided on bypass. Danny didn’t use them on his prototypes, but I may give them a try.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:12 pm »
Yes, the KPCU-2 caps have both leads coming from the same end.

I am still waiting on the inductors and resistors. Dang is shipping them to me shortly.

I haven’t decided on bypass. Danny didn’t use them on his prototypes, but I may give them a try.

Ahh okay, I'm most likely going to be getting Erse Foil-Q inductors and Path Audio resistors based on a few different recommentdations. Tho I'm excited to see what your choices end up being! :thumb:

Ahh okay, I'll be sticking with Miflex caps for bypass, but im surprised that Danny didnt use them, but maybe it's because it was a prototype?

mkrawcz

« Reply #163 on: 6 Apr 2021, 11:17 pm »
Wow! You going to light that off in the back yard? Speaking of caps, tonight I swapped out the Sonicaps on the mid circuit of my NXOticas for a single Auricap XO and a Miflex bypass and it instantly took the speakers to another level. Cant wait to hear how they are after a 100hrs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #164 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:03 am »
After trying Danny's original pair of Line Force speakers with 3x12 servo's with my dspMusik 2x8 digital crossover, that would be the way I would go if I built a pair with my BG NEO10's and GR NEO3's.  We drove the line array directly with his solid state battery amp. 

I prefer time delay between the line array and the servo subs instead of phase control for wave front alignment.  Worked well in Danny's setup when we tried in 2015.

The new version of the DSP crossover is the dspNexus 2x8.  Has the new AKM AK4499EQ DAC's with Class A output stage.  The prototype dspNexus I have is working well with my planars ad servo subs.  Showed it at AXPONA2019 with the Super Mini's and got great response in the room.

mkrawcz

« Reply #165 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:06 am »
After trying Danny's original pair of Line Force speakers with 3x12 servo's with my dspMusik 2x8 digital crossover, that would be the way I would go if I built a pair with my BG NEO10's and GR NEO3's.  We drove the line array directly with his solid state battery amp. 

I prefer time delay between the line array and the servo subs instead of phase control for wave front alignment.  Worked well in Danny's setup when we tried in 2015.

The new version of the DSP crossover is the dspNexus 2x8.  Has the new AKM AK4499EQ DAC's with Class A output stage.  The prototype dspNexus I have is working well with my planars ad servo subs.  Showed it at AXPONA2019 with the Super Mini's and got great response in the room.

Was that the Digital crossover Danny said was pretty much as good as his passive crossover?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #166 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:12 am »
Yes.

And the new version is better.  Still waiting on final production date, but should be soon.

Jaytor

« Reply #167 on: 7 Apr 2021, 01:06 am »
@HAL - I read your megaliths thread. Very impressive project. I think a little beyond what I want to attempt at this point, and I already have a lot invested in a more conventional approach with a nice DAC, analog preamp, etc.

At some point, I may experiment with using an active crossover and bi-amping, but that's definitely down the road a ways. In the mean time, I'm trying to build the best quality passive crossover I can using Danny's design and guidance.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #168 on: 7 Apr 2021, 01:19 am »
Not even a big deal for the Line Force.  We wired up the line arrays as single outputs from a stereo power amp and the dspMusik 2x8 as the DAC driving the planars and servo subs.   Did not use the time delay feature on the line array.

We did a simple distance offset measurement and turned it into a time delay.  Then I just delayed the mains so the subs (which were behind the lines) and line array outputs time aligned.  Just simple a simple thing to add to the crossover design.

Good luck with your passive XO.

Early B.

« Reply #169 on: 7 Apr 2021, 01:44 am »
Here's a photo of one of the caps. There are several similar size caps in each crossover  :green:

OK, so I'm gonna follow your crossover build with great interest. The crossover enclosures will be as big as the speakers!!! Miflex caps are awesome and worth every penny.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #170 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:22 am »

I was there and can say they sounded amazing.  I was surprised by how holographic they were.  I still can’t quite get my Super 7s to sound holographic but concede I just haven’t had a good room for them.  I’m still playing around with positioning and toe-in too.