AV Furniture to match your speakers

jsalk

AV Furniture to match your speakers
« on: 17 Jun 2008, 03:20 am »
A few months ago I was commenting to a very talented furniture designer friend (Bruce Campbell) about the number of speaker finishes we were being asked to match to existing furniture.  He said, "why don't you offer furniture matched to the speakers?"  I explained that we are not in the furniture business and our plate is pretty full at the moment. 

He indicated he would love to design a modular A/V furniture system that could be built using the same veneers and finishes as the speakers a given customer might order.  I told him that I had no idea if there would be any demand for this type of thing.  To which he replied, "let's find out."  I told him I thought it was too risky to invest much of his valuable time and energy.  But he got excited about the concept and before I knew it, he had designed a complete modular system and started building a prototype.

The system he developed is quite versatile.  The modules can be configured in a variety of different ways and finished in a contemporary look or a more traditional look.  For example, smoked glass doors work well in a contemporary design while solid wood raised panel doors work well in a more traditional look.  Modules can be stacked any which way with shelves, headers etc.  And the design will allow placement of the center channel in an HT application right in the cabinet.

But what I think is really neat, you can have virtually any finish you want.  So if you want African bubinga speakers, you can now have bubinga A/V furniture to match.

Here is a simple example of a clean, contemporary look in rosewood with matching SongSeries speakers...

In the next week or two, Bruce will produce some drawings of various ways the modules can be set up for a wide variety of looks starting at about $1500 for a system.

I don't know if there will be much demand for this type of system.  But at least the option is available for those who want it.

- Jim

K_Roen

Re: AV Furniture to match your speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2008, 04:29 am »
I love the idea...... gives me dreams of a new bedroom system including some new songs

Papajin

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2008, 04:56 pm »
That is a cool idea.  Can't wait to see more pics to see what he has in mind.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2008, 05:36 pm »
How about CD/DVD and LP storage systems to match the AV systems? Also, turntable stands?

Wayner

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2008, 05:51 pm »
How about 2' x 6' x 3" thick shelves x 3, all open, low profile, adjustable (optional)

So many of these wide low profile lock you into a set center channel size.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2008, 06:34 pm »
Wayner -

How about CD/DVD and LP storage systems to match the AV systems?

CD/DVD and LP storage units are part of the design.  Hopefully when Bruce develops his drawings, he can show this as well.

Also, turntable stands?

Hadn't thought about that, but anything is possible.  I doubt it would be an issue.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2008, 06:37 pm »
Maxcast -

How about 2' x 6' x 3" thick shelves x 3, all open, low profile, adjustable (optional)

These units, of course, were developed to accomodate our HTC or SongCenter center channel speakers.  However, it would not be an issue to modify the designs to accomodate almost any center channel speaker.

As for your idea, that would be a different design, but I could certainly be done.  Perhaps you can generate some drawings so we can see exactly what you mean.  I'd definitely be interested in see your concept.

- Jim

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2008, 06:43 pm »
Makes a lot of sense to me.   

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2008, 06:48 pm »
Jim,

I'm assuming the units can be stacked into a tower for those of us that don't care for anything but 2 channel (no TV)?

Wayner

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2008, 07:24 pm »
Maxcast -

[  However, it would not be an issue to modify the designs to accomodate almost any center channel speaker. ]

How are rear-ported centers incorporated into the design?  It seems like the port would have to be in the front to avoid chamber resonances. 

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2008, 07:58 pm »
Maxcast -

These units, of course, were developed to accomodate our HTC or SongCenter center channel speakers.  However, it would not be an issue to modify the designs to accomodate almost any center channel speaker.

As for your idea, that would be a different design, but I could certainly be done.  Perhaps you can generate some drawings so we can see exactly what you mean.  I'd definitely be interested in see your concept.

- Jim

How about one with a HT-3 built in center channel  :green:  Just an idea....I can't afford that right now. 

No drawings.  But picture three 3'x6'x3" maple amp stands as shelves. All open, no sides. I can't figure a good way to combine them other than threaded rod which isn't that eye appealing.  Threaded rod would offer great adjustability.  Two rods in the front corners and 4 across the back should be strong enough for front end components or a TV.  Second shelf for preamps, xovers.  Bottom shelf for amps.

sanlanman

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2008, 08:28 pm »
I think this is an exciting concept. High quality sound, good equipment and media storage and organization, and great wife acceptance factor.

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2008, 08:41 pm »
Wayner -

Jim,

I'm assuming the units can be stacked into a tower for those of us that don't care for anything but 2 channel (no TV)?

Wayner

Correct.

- Jim

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2008, 08:57 pm »
I see this as a fantastic venture for you, Jim. I think alot of guys would like to have matching speakers and furniture in their "man caves" and the wives probably will like it too. To my dislike, there has always been a disconnect between the consumer and furniture makers to really addrress the needs of the HIFI guy. This idea certainly fits a niche and a need.

Hope it takes off for you!

Wayner

randybessinger

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2008, 02:06 am »
My problem is with a center speaker in a cabinet? :(

randybessinger

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2008, 02:10 am »
My problem is with a center speaker in a cabinet?   Is the center sealed?

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2008, 03:56 am »
This is a fantastic idea!  I sincerely wish that something like this was around 9 months ago when I purchased my TV stand.  It would work perfectly.

Kudos to Jim and Bruce! 

P.S.  Bruce's name reminds me of that "B" movie actor from the Evil dead/Army Of Darkness series.  He's hilarious and shares the same name as Jim's buddy.  Too funny!   :lol:

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2008, 06:15 pm »
How are rear-ported centers incorporated into the design?  It seems like the port would have to be in the front to avoid chamber resonances. 

My problem is with a center speaker in a cabinet? :(

You both raise a legitimate point.  That is a detail that will have to be addressed.

When Bruce first came up with the idea, he needed some measurements.  So I provided him with the measurements of the Veracity HTC center channel which is a sealed design.  When he actually built the cabinets, we were working on a SongTower setup in rosewood.  He liked the veneer, so I gave him some to play with.  When he finished the prototype, we photographed it with the speakers we had been working on (just to show the concept).

Naturally, the ideal situation is to have all speakers free-standing.  But sometimes, the physical setup or significant other will simply not allow it.  I cannot tell you how many people contact us about building speakers to install in cabinets so that they are not visible in the room.  This always presents compromises and we always take time to explain the trade-offs and explore solutions to at least make the best of the situation.

In a number of cases, customers have wanted HT3's and had alcoves designed into the wall structure of their homes to accommodate them.  In one case, we actually convinced the customer to demolish the alcoves.  Unfortunately, not all customers have that option.  So we do the best we can with the given situation.  That may involve front ports, sealed woofers, or some other approach to make the best of the situation.

As we continue to develop this particular concept, obviously this is a situation we will need to address with the SongCenter.  The opening for the speaker can be customized for the exact width and height of the SongCenter (this was worked into the design concept, but not this particular prototype).  As for porting, an open back cabinet is one possibility although it would likely be backed up against the wall.  Another possibility is to down port the speaker through the platform.  And of course we would have to look at the baffle step compensation situation as well.

All of these details would need to be addressed to take the concept forward.  But in the situation where speakers need to be mounted in a cabinet to keep domestic peace, at least we have a greater deal of control over the outcome than is presented by many customers with existing furniture.  So, while perhaps not optimum, we could at least optimize the situation.

We try to do the best we can for each customer.  But in the end, once we lay out all the pros and cons of a given setup, the final decision rests with the customer.  After all, we are building their systems, not ours.

- Jim

Cacophonix

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2008, 06:56 pm »
How about have a sliding surface on which this center channel sits?

When one is watching movies, the center channel can slide out of the Ent center, and then after use, can be slid back into the furniture.

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2008, 08:09 pm »
How about have a sliding surface on which this center channel sits?

When one is watching movies, the center channel can slide out of the Ent center, and then after use, can be slid back into the furniture.

I was just going to suggest something like that.  Good idea!