How do I connect gamecube to my 5.1 system

topround

« on: 26 Dec 2005, 09:27 pm »
Just bought the boys Gamecube for Xmas and I would like to connect the audio to my JVC 5.1 reciever.
Honestly I am a 2 channel audio guy, so I barely know how I managed to get the JVC hooked up with Satellite TV  and digital jitter filter and all.

thanks

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2005, 02:50 am »
Are you using the basic gamecube hookup with the video cable (yellow) and red/white cable for audio?

Michael

topround

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2005, 10:44 pm »
Yes, I have the standard red, white, yellow rca cables that came with the game cube. Is there another connection available?  Currently I connect  them to the front of the tv, but would like to have the audio out to the 5.1 receiver.

thanks

rbrb

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2005, 03:46 am »
You will not get a 5.1 signal to your receiver by using the red and white audio cables.  Does the Game Cube have a fibre optic output connector?  Does your JVC receiver have a fibre optic input connector?

You will only get a stereo signal to the JVC using analog cables.  The JVC would try and contruct a 5.1 signal if it's equipped with Prologic II surround processing.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2005, 03:09 am »
You may be able to purchase a special cable kit for the Gamecube. That would be how you would do it, it such a kit exists.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2005, 06:33 am »
You can get various cables to hook up the Gamecube for various video connections.

It comes with a composite video connector. You can go just about anywhere and get the S-Video equipped cable. If you go to Nintendo's website you can buy a Component video equipped cable. And if you really, really want to go all out there's a digital video cable available in Japan (DFP?) that can be hooked up to a VGA transcoder for use with a VGA input or computer monitor.

But it should be noted that 2 channel analog audio is the only thing you can get out of a Gamecube. Yes, most games are mixed for Dolby Pro Logic II. I'd bet that your JVC receiver has PL II decoding. So while the Gamecube won't actually output a 5.1 signal, the PL II decoding of the signal will make it sound reall, really close to 5.1.

And yes, I am aware of the Panasonic Gamecube. Yes, it does actually have a coaxial digital out. But unfortunately that output isn't active during any gameplay, it's only for the DVD output when you're watching movies.