equalizing resistors and series capacitors

llwhtt

equalizing resistors and series capacitors
« on: 24 Sep 2013, 01:39 am »
I just received my RM9 manual today and noticed Roger advises against using equalizing resistors in parallel with series connected capacitors in the power supply. This goes against everything I've seen or read, what's up Roger?

Craig

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: equalizing resistors and series capacitors
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:09 am »
If one studies the behavior of electrolytic capacitors they will equalize themselves. If one uses resistors and those resistors fail or change in value (which they often do) the situation becomes worse than no resistors at all. The open resistor will then put the total current of the string into its capacitor which will be far worse. The same is true of diodes, I don't put resistors across them either.

Although I hear EVERYONE's first question is "should I recap your amp, its must be time?" . Actually the resistors are more need of attention than the capacitors. Even the oldest RM 9 capacitors (almost 30 years) are in better shape than the audiophile approved Rhoderstien resistors. I have replaced over 200 resistors and perhaps 10 capacitors.

I would like to find a deserving person to pass my knowledge of reliability on to.