Parafeed Transformers

steve f

Parafeed Transformers
« on: 27 Aug 2013, 07:08 pm »
I really enjoy Roger's tutorials. I'd like to suggest a topic for a future one. Output transformers enjoy an almost arcane reputation. Since SET amps are the most basic, how about the topic of their transformers? Gapped vs parallel feed, and most important, why one over the other? I don't think anyone has ever described the design trade offs in layman's terms.

Steve

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Parafeed Transformers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2013, 08:28 am »
I really enjoy Roger's tutorials. I'd like to suggest a topic for a future one. Output transformers enjoy an almost arcane reputation. Since SET amps are the most basic, how about the topic of their transformers? Gapped vs parallel feed, and most important, why one over the other? I don't think anyone has ever described the design trade offs in layman's terms.

Steve

Its a big topic. If I get enough requests I'll do it. One interesting thing to think about is where is the energy stored to provide the drive for the speaker when the tube cuts off. The on phase is obviously through the tube. The off phase is not so obvious.  Then consider where it comes from in the parafeed.

/mp

Re: Parafeed Transformers
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2013, 01:22 pm »
Interested layman. Tally +1.