Relative importance of components

cacophony777

Relative importance of components
« on: 17 Jun 2010, 09:47 pm »
I'm curious how everyone views the relative importance of the audio components that make up a particular setup. So ignoring source material and room acoustics, how would you rate the relative importance of the following with respect to trying to achieve the "best" overall sound:

CD player
DAC
Pre-amp
Amp
Interconnects
Speaker wire
Speakers

Not sure how to define "best" other than: represents the source material as closely as possible
And assume that whatever amp is being used has appropriate specs to drive the speakers, and that the cables are of a reasonable gauge.

I have very limited experience with audio systems, but I'll go first (I'm pretty much guessing):

CD player (0%)
DAC (3%)
Pre-amp (5%)
Amp (10%)
Interconnects (1%)
Speaker wire (1%)
Speakers (80%)

billmcc

Re: Relative importance of components
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm »
I'm curious how everyone views the relative importance of the audio components that make up a particular setup. So ignoring source material and room acoustics, how would you rate the relative importance of the following with respect to trying to achieve the "best" overall sound:

CD player
DAC
Pre-amp
Amp
Interconnects
Speaker wire
Speakers

Not sure how to define "best" other than: represents the source material as closely as possible
And assume that whatever amp is being used has appropriate specs to drive the speakers, and that the cables are of a reasonable gauge.

I have very limited experience with audio systems, but I'll go first (I'm pretty much guessing):

CD player (0%)
DAC (3%)
Pre-amp (5%)
Amp (10%)
Interconnects (1%)
Speaker wire (1%)
Speakers (80%)

I think your figures are very close to what I would think. I would just flip the figures on the amp and preamp.

CD player (0%)
DAC (3%)
Pre-amp (10%)
Amp (5%)
Interconnects (1%)
Speaker wire (1%)
Speakers (80%)

Bill

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:18 pm »
CD player
DAC
Pre-amp
Amp
Interconnects
Speaker wire
Speakers
Hi,
Excuse to say this, but I think this equips above you mention are all important but not more than a large room, the most importan component for sound quality is the room you listen, unless you are listen HeavyMetal etc..
Also a low noise floor(under 35dB level) in your room can made miracles in the music. A good room shape is necessary too, the best I know is the Golden Trapagon from Cardas site.
Unhapilly a large room is very expensive.
Regards, Gustavo
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=36&pagestring=Room+Setup+10

werd

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:24 pm »
You are ignoring room acoustics and yet you put speaks at 80%.....  :scratch:

anyways

35% - source
20 % pre
30 % amp
15 % speakers

cacophony777

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm »
You are ignoring room acoustics...

There's a limit to what many people are able to (or willing to) do with respect to room acoustics. I'd rather concentrate on the aspects that everyone makes decisions about.

revrob

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:37 pm »
My list:

Speakers - 45%
Source - 25%
Preamp -15%
Amp - 10%
Wires - 5%

It is really all about synergy with component matching. You can have great speakers but not enough to drive them no matter how good the pedigree of the amp. I notice 2 major upgrades to the sound in my room, Speakers, Salk HT3, and my previous cd player, Cary 306/200.

The least effect for me personally were wires and room.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:39 pm »
1 Room
2 Speakers
3 Amp
4 Source

werd

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:41 pm »
There's a limit to what many people are able to (or willing to) do with respect to room acoustics. I'd rather concentrate on the aspects that everyone makes decisions about.

but you give speakers %80 importance  with no consideration to room acoustics.  It would seem that room acoustics are the most important part of break down like yours.

You should lift up source, debatably as important as speakers........  0% is a complete non acknowledgement.....

cacophony777

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:48 pm »
but you give speakers %80 importance  with no consideration to room acoustics.  It would seem that room acoustics are the most important part of break down like yours.

I agree, but one could potentially argue that:

Room - 99%
Everything else - 1%

because I'm sure it's possible to design a room (under water perhaps ;) so bad that it completely eliminates the value of a particular setup. And that's precisely why I wanted to remove it from the breakdown.

cacophony777

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:50 pm »
You should lift up source, debatably as important as speakers........  0% is a complete non acknowledgement.....

If a CD player outputs a digital signal to a DAC how does it matter what CD player you use?

werd

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:53 pm »
If a CD player outputs a digital signal to a DAC how does it matter what CD player you use?

Ok let me requalify. Your transport is arguable the most important piece, when you break up the transport and dac. If your transport is weak so will everything else be.....  dont  matter what amp, speakers or anything is going fix it.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:58 pm »
I agree, but one could potentially argue that:

Room - 99%
Everything else - 1%

because I'm sure it's possible to design a room (under water perhaps ;) so bad that it completely eliminates the value of a particular setup. And that's precisely why I wanted to remove it from the breakdown.

yes but you're asking us to categorize importance based on your criteria. Your criteria states no room importance. so why would I stack up speaker importance here when the room can suck or be great who knows .....

cacophony777

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:00 pm »
Good point. Feel free to assume it's an ideal room for the particular setup.

werd

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm »
source- 35%

pre -15%

amp 20%

speakers 30%

wywires

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:06 am »
Room/speaker interaction 25%, 100% if you get it wrong...System synergy: 100% if you get it wrong
Source: 20%
Preamp: 20%
Power amp: 15%
Speakers: 20%
Cables: Depends on whether or not you believe that cables make a difference.

cacophony777

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:23 am »
It's interesting to see how varied the responses have been...

I recently stumbled on this blind test, which was partly the basis for my initial breakdown:
http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:24 am »
Crossovers:   90%

Everything else: 10%

Unless the room is the Conservatory at the Rockville Mansion.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:25 am »
Wow- Important question with SO many ways to view and answer it!  :o

Importance by list rank, #1 being highest:

1. Speakers & speaker placement**
2. Amp & Preamp (one is just as important as the other)
3. Source
4. Wiring

** I am a near-field listener, so the room has little relevance other than insuring there is no echo and that there is nothing in front of or near the speakers that could interfere with them.

Speakers will always be the most important to me. What good is everything else if you don't have a way to enunciate properly?

As for everything else, "You don't put a $50.00 saddle on a $10.00 horse". The quality of everything else should follow suit with the speakers. Quality does not mean expensive, just that all other components should have decent specifications and be able to do what is expected of a system headed off by the quality of the speakers you're using.

cacophony777

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:34 am »
Crossovers:   90%

Everything else: 10%

Unless the room is the Conservatory at the Rockville Mansion.

Great answer Dennis  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2010, 01:43 am »
You are ignoring room acoustics and yet you put speaks at 80%.....  :scratch:

He's right on the money, though.  The room acoustics and speakers make up almost all of what you hear.  Ask any industry professional.  This is, of course, assuming that the rest of the system doesn't have some sort of flaw.

Ok let me requalify. Your transport is arguable the most important piece, when you break up the transport and dac. If your transport is weak so will everything else be.....  dont  matter what amp, speakers or anything is going fix it.

Even a cheap CD player through a good DAC will offer a great listening experience through great speakers in a great room.  If changing CD players makes a huge difference, there is something wrong with it, or your system is just really bad. :)  It would take some horrible jitter to be audible, in which case that would fall into the "flawed" category.