Owner Impressions, Delivery Times and Things to Do While You Wait

Austin08

Jim, it is a good usb dac and a new reference usb dac to beat in $1000 range, IMO. The 105 will work with Mac and all window base but window 8. I hope the new supported driver foe window 8 will be available soon.

glangford

Continued owner impressions, Day 2, SCST.  Saturday night was movie night so we watched a movie.  I have a 2 channel set up devoted 95% to music, the same 2 channels used for the occasional saturday night movie.  The SCST does a nice job at phantom center. This is the one area I like audyssey. I use dynamic volume day mode which pushes special effects a little back and brings dialog a little forward.  I haven't calibrated the Salks yet as I'm still experimenting with degree of toe in, distance from wall, etc. Even without dynamic volume dialog was very clear and the Salks did a real nice job as a phantom cener. 

Music continued. I'm so amazed at the midrange clarity and the performance of the RAALs I've been primarily focused on classical.  I did finally get around to some jazz and yes the SCST do go low and very nicely too.  My wife who normally doesn't just sit and listen to music did today, she was equally impressed.  I have her to thank primarily.  When I decided on STs it was she who said, 'you mean they sell supercharged ones too?'  You gotta love her...

jsalk

Jim, it is a good usb dac and a new reference usb dac to beat in $1000 range, IMO. The 105 will work with Mac and all window base but window 8. I hope the new supported driver foe window 8 will be available soon.

I did a little search to see if the BDP 105 DAC was a USB Class 2 Audio device and found a thread that said it was.  So I ordered one to test.  If this is the case, it will not need a driver for a newer MAC or Linux unit.  So it should work up to 24/192 with our StreamPlayer and should not require drivers.  Windows will always need drivers until they do a decent USB implementation. If it works with the StreamPlayer without drivers, it will be a very nice combination as you would have access to a digital library as well as individual CD's, Bluray's etc., all in the same unit.

- Jim

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Sounds very promising to me. I may go that route.  I liked the unit you had at the Audioholics event. I probably would have purchased one then but ordered SS8s instead! Please keep us posted how your stream player works with the oppo. Pete

Austin08

jsalk

The BDP 105 is scheduled to arrive on Friday.  I suspect since it does not require MAC drivers, none will be required for our StreamPlayer.  As long as it is USB Class 2 Audio compliant, it should work just fine right out of the box.  I will post my testing results as soon as I have it set up and have a chance to run it through its paces.

- Jim

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Jim,
I am waiting patiently for your assessment of your streamplayer/ BDP105 combo. This could put the finishing touch on my system..
Keep us posted, Pete

mykyll2727

Jim,
I am waiting patiently for your assessment of your streamplayer/ BDP105 combo. This could put the finishing touch on my system..
Keep us posted, Pete

+1!

Gzerro

Jim,
Keep us posted, Pete

I am confused here - the BDP105 can stream directly from any network attached device all on its own. What would be the advantages of the Streamplayer vs. using the BDP105s own interface? :scratch:

JerryLove

I just looked at that thing. With basically 5 inputs, I think if you added (or does it have?) an analog gain stage you'd have a pre-amp with built-in blu-ray.

Big Red Machine

I am confused here - the BDP105 can stream directly from any network attached device all on its own. What would be the advantages of the Streamplayer vs. using the BDP105s own interface? :scratch:

I see two things the Streamplayer can offer:  1. It can contain a HD of your choosing so it becomes that network attached device.  2. The StreamPlayer talks to your router and with an iPad you can control the content remotely and there is no need for a computer/PC. 

So essentially the Oppo could be a CDP or a DAC via the streamplayer, as well, of course, be a BR player. 

Austin08

I prefer hdmi input because the Oppo let me bistream hd sound from my pc. USB input and network streaming are limit to 2 channels only. On top of that, the 105 has enought gain to be a preamp processor. I test this out by hooking up the Oppo directly to my amp and there are no problem. There is level and distance adjustment for each speaker up to 7.1 channels. Even crossover for sub is available. The only thing missing is Roomm correction  :green: It did a good job as a preamp processor but could not keep up with my BAT combo in 2 channel stereo.  Just my 2cts

Gzerro

I see two things the Streamplayer can offer:  1. It can contain a HD of your choosing so it becomes that network attached device.  2. The StreamPlayer talks to your router and with an iPad you can control the content remotely and there is no need for a computer/PC. 

So essentially the Oppo could be a CDP or a DAC via the streamplayer, as well, of course, be a BR player.

1. A NAS device or external hard drive with built-in networking can be had for under $100 that the BDP can stream from. You will need a computer to rip the files (as you would with the streamplayer as well), but it isn't needed for playback.

2. With the BDP 105 you use the remote control, no need for an iPad. This assumes you have it hooked up to a TV of course.

I must still be missing something?

I am not knocking the streamplayer/ipad which looks like a fantastic product for a stand alone stereo. I am just trying to understand what it adds to an already complete solution provided by the Oppo's streaming capabilities.