Name the "Beast/HT4"

av_passion

Re: Name the "Beast/HT4"
« Reply #60 on: 11 May 2009, 05:55 am »
Dennis made a good point earlier when he said that perhaps the speaker should be named by how it sounds and not how it looks.  This speaker seems extremely unusual in its ability to present a three dimensional soundstage that does not diminish with one's location in the room, just as it might with a live performance.  In essence, a sonic hologram or holo, a three-dimensional, supremely life-like musical image.   How about “Holos” for a name?

av_passion

« Reply #61 on: 11 May 2009, 06:30 am »
How about "Muse" which means a guiding spirit, a source of inspiration.  In Greek mythology, patron goddesses of poetry, music, and dance and from which the word music is derived.

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #62 on: 11 May 2009, 07:07 am »
Salk Poupon. aa  One of life's finer pleasures.  Imagine Jim and Dennis in this ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pGT8Q_tjk

I apologize for blowing my cred (not that I had any) with this post especially with such a low post count.  :oops:
« Last Edit: 11 May 2009, 10:23 am by Kokishin »

turkey

« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2009, 12:29 pm »
Salk Stage

You could then add a numeral to denote which woofer section is used.

Salk Stage 10 or even Salk Stage X

chadh

« Reply #64 on: 11 May 2009, 01:18 pm »

Personally, I had developed a real fondness for the moniker "The Beast."  But it does lack some panache.  So why not choose from the endless list of "Beasts" presented in literature or mythology?  I like "The Salk Jabberwockies."  But you could go with "Godzillas" or "Bunyips" or "Balrogs" or...maybe "The Salk Sasquaches"?  Each speaker has a pretty big footprint!

Chad

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #65 on: 11 May 2009, 01:25 pm »
Jim,

I may have missed it, but could you post the actual dimensions of the Beast/HT4's?

Thanks,

George

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #66 on: 11 May 2009, 01:34 pm »
Jim,

These new speakers look like they are built like a TANK and from your descriptions they are!

Congrats on another fine SALK speaker product.

In the final analysis, it comes down to one very simple question: Is it, or is it not, a stunning audio experience?

So it would be nice to have a name that states that....

You could be funny and think of names like "Salk Tanks" or "Salk Bring It On!"

These are in the high end Ultimate category, a speaker that can reproduce all possible material available to man...how could that not be a stunning experience!

Here are some suggestions:

Salk Sound Ultimates or Salk Ultimate

Salk Apex

Salk Climax

Salk No Limits Series

Salk Finality  

Salk Over the Top

Salk Extremes  

Salk Ultimate Extreme

Salk Brio  (acronymn for Bring It On)... :D

Something with words that describe the design goal, the ability to reproduce anything you can throw at them sonically and they say 'give me more'...

All the best

Alex!!

martyo

« Reply #67 on: 11 May 2009, 02:25 pm »
Jim,

Will the 10" version be passive or ported or............?

Thanks,

Marty

Rapt

« Reply #68 on: 11 May 2009, 02:35 pm »
Salk Surreals

Or if you wanted to tie a name into the beast name along with the greek names of your other speakers, how about

Salk Agrus   "100-eyed giant  ('the all-seeing')"

av_passion

« Reply #69 on: 11 May 2009, 02:58 pm »
When I suggested we name the speakers “The Beast" back in October on the AVS Forum I could never have imagined how the final product would so closely resemble a compact, powerfully muscled, fantastical creature.  If the speakers were to be named on how they look I would suggest a mythical creature such as the "Gryphon" - a fabulous animal with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.  In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine.

jsalk

« Reply #70 on: 11 May 2009, 03:31 pm »
Here's a little additional information that may answer some questions.

The cabinets are built in two sections.  The total height is about 42".  The woofer section is 15" wide and 23" deep.  I would guess the 10" version will be about the same height, about 12" wide and perhaps 15" deep (or slightly deeper).  So the 10" version would be approximately the size of our current HT3 design. 

The current pair of cabinets weighs in at 155 pound each.  The woofer section is 133 pounds and the upper cabinet is 22 pounds.

I received another PM with questions as to the black area between the upper and lower cabinets.  We are exploring numerous approaches to this.  The idea is to prevent any vibrations from the woofer cabinet to influence the midrange/tweeter section.  We would like to de-couple these to the extent possible.

We installed inserts for spikes and will be doing some comparative tests.  We want to see if coupling the cabinets through the use of spikes would have any adverse affect on performance.  We will also probably look at something like the "unhappy balls" mentioned in another thread here dealing with isolation.  Currently, we have a pad of somewhat compliant damping material to prevent woofer cabinet vibrations from being transferred to the upper cabinet.  We simply covered it in grill cloth.  If we decide to go this rout in production, our plan is to face this with suede leather or something similar.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #71 on: 11 May 2009, 03:33 pm »
Marty -

Jim,

Will the 10" version be passive or ported or............?

Thanks,

Marty

While a ported design would be less expensive to produce and may be entirely adequate, we will probably test both.  But my guess at this point is that we will use twin passives.

- Jim

Carl V

« Reply #72 on: 11 May 2009, 03:45 pm »

Sig 10 & Sig 12....short for Signature 10, Signature 12

Carl V

« Reply #73 on: 11 May 2009, 03:47 pm »
Since this is a custom affair

Why not Bespoke 10 & Bespoke 12

Congratulations nicely done......Grand Slam anyone...tennis term of course.

fsimms

« Reply #74 on: 11 May 2009, 04:16 pm »
It is a shame that the name Pharo is taken.  How about Akhenaten.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #75 on: 11 May 2009, 05:11 pm »

How about Akhenaten.

Bob

How do you spell it?

fsimms

« Reply #76 on: 11 May 2009, 05:26 pm »
How do you spell it?

I spelled it the way that they did on the website that I took the image from:

http://wysinger.homestead.com/akhenaten.html

"Akhenaten (pronounced /ˌɑːkəˈnɑːtən/;[1] often also spelled Echnaton, Akhnaton, or rarely Ikhnaton; meaning Effective spirit of Aten" from Wikipedia.

Bob

turkey

« Reply #77 on: 11 May 2009, 05:28 pm »

How about Akhenaten.

Bob

How do you spell it?

Just like it sounds. :)

I could see that a name like Akhenaten would be spelled 9 different ways by 4 different audio reviewers.

Rapt

« Reply #78 on: 11 May 2009, 06:17 pm »
When I suggested we name the speakers “The Beast" back in October on the AVS Forum I could never have imagined how the final product would so closely resemble a compact, powerfully muscled, fantastical creature.  If the speakers were to be named on how they look I would suggest a mythical creature such as the "Gryphon" - a fabulous animal with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.  In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine.

Gryphon would be a copyright violation due to the name being used by Gryphon amplifiers

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #79 on: 11 May 2009, 06:29 pm »
Word: APEX

Definition: top, high point
Synonyms: acme, apogee, climax, crest, crown, culmination, cusp, greatest, height, max, maximum, meridian, most*, ne plus ultra, peak, pinnacle, point, roof, spire, sublimity, summit, tip, tops, up there, vertex, zenith 

So: Salk Apogees
      Salk Pinnacle

Word: ULTIMATE

Definition: best, greatest
Synonyms: extreme, highest, incomparable, max, maxi, maximum, most, paramount, preeminent, significant, superlative, supreme, surpassing, the most, topmost, towering, transcendent, unequalable, unmatchable, unsurpassable, utmost 

So: Salk Extremes
      Salk Maxi's
      Salk Paramounts
      Salk Supremes
      Salk Utmosts

or a double entrade'

like:

Salk Extreme Pinncale's
Salk Maxi Apogees

OR you could go a more elegant way:

Word: Elegant
Definition: beautiful, tasteful
Synonyms: affected, appropriate, apt, aristocratic, artistic, august, chic, choice, classic, clever, comely, courtly, cultivated, cultured, dainty, delicate, dignified, effective, exquisite, fancy, fashionable, fine, genteel, graceful, grand, handsome, ingenious, luxurious, majestic, modish, neat, nice, noble, opulent, ornamented, ornate, ostentatious, overdone, polished, rare, recherché, refined, rich, select, simple, stately, stuffy, stylish, stylized, sumptuous, superior, turgid, well-bred 

So: Salk Classic Apogees, Salk Ultimate Extremes...etc

Aint this fun!!

thanks Jim!

Alex aa