Wyred4Sound Amps

Big Red Machine

Re: Wyred4Sound Amps
« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2008, 02:05 pm »
Pete - thanks for posting the review link, I have a few questions as the next project for me is to bi-amp my HT3's and the W4S range could be a great opportunity to do this.  I'm currently using a 500 watt/channel Musical Fidelity amp and consider that HT3's come alive with a strong amp, particularly driving the super fast and deep digging woofer.  I love my HT3's and feel that it's possible to wring even more performance out of them by taking the bi-amp route.

So, are your comments on the W4S based on their performance with the HT3's and, have you considered them for bi-amping?

Thanks
Phil

Yes, HT3 use.

I am bi-wiring because I can.  But bi-amping with the Wyreds wouldn't seem like an advantage unless you tried the more "tubelike" module mentioned in the review for the top end if you were after a more tubey sound.  Otherwise I would just use 2 monos or a stereo amp of the 500 watt size.  They can crank up in a hurry if you need volume, that is.  Why not try a 500 watt'r and see how you like it and them decide if the top end is what you want with SS or tubes?

TooManyToys

« Reply #41 on: 24 Aug 2008, 02:29 pm »
Good find, Pete.

I’ve been leaving the amp on all of the time – it’s draws so little power.

The reviewer and I the same experience, including listening to Hole Cole’s Temptation.  And I also listened to Harp music and noticed the same details mentioned about the guitar characteristics.  He has much better writing skills then I do so I won’t further comment on the amp.  As I stated previously, if you have tubes in front of it I think you’d be in great shape.

I don’t know why this thread keeps getting drawn back into a “break-in” debate, but that should be done elsewhere.  I didn’t before I got my Esoteric SA-60, but even they (TEAC) recommend break-in, and in fact, an IsoTek CD designed to accelerate it.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #42 on: 30 Aug 2008, 01:15 pm »
288 hours :weights:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2008, 02:10 pm »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #44 on: 30 Aug 2008, 02:26 pm »
288 hours :weights:

And?

Pretty freekin' sweet actually.  I'm very impressed and when I say that you need to know I never expected to be.  I expected mediocrity at best and these amps do music the way I like it.  So surprise to me! 

johnzm

« Reply #45 on: 30 Aug 2008, 11:26 pm »
hey big red,

just wondering have u had a chance to hear odyssey amps yet?

keep us updated on these wyred amps please! am i correct in assuming these are a fraction of the cost of the pass labs?

Delacroix

« Reply #46 on: 3 Sep 2008, 07:31 pm »
Found this review on Audiogon:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df7c5tcg_0ctrptmf6

As the author of that review, I should note it was a draft, and the final published review appears now in the September 2008 issue of Affordable Audio which you can download for free.

bummrush

« Reply #47 on: 4 Sep 2008, 08:27 pm »
I expected mediocrity at best and these amps do music the way I like it.  So surprise to me!                     Same for me,except I expected the best and got mediocrity and digital didn't do the music a bit of good.

dweekie

« Reply #48 on: 5 Sep 2008, 03:41 am »
Check out the Tec-On 55 review in Affordable Audio as well.  The Wyred4Sound 200 amp is mentioned as a comparison.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 21 Oct 2008, 11:43 am »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred/monos.html

New review of the SX1000 monoblocks

Airborn

« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2008, 04:31 pm »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred/monos.html

New review of the SX1000 monoblocks

Nice review.  Pete, are you still enjoying the Wyred 4 Sound monos now that you have passed the 300 hour mark?  The reason I ask is that I am very interested in them b/c I have Strata Minis and Paul Candy's review describes excellent synergy with the Wyred 4 Sound amps.  I suspected that might be the case as the minis are power hogs and 86 db sensitivity, but its always good to hear from someone who actually lives with the amps in their system for awhile.  I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my Odyssey amp or go with Wyred 4 Sound.  Since I have never owned an ICE amp, any further info. would be appreciated, especially as Wyred doesn't appear to have a trial period yet.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2008, 04:38 pm »
I still enjoy the amps.  They are dead quiet, have no idiosyncracies except I hated the speaker terminals (and changed them myself with some $15 Parts Express models).  There is a pair on Agon right now for 1800.  I tried to pry one of them out of his hands for the center channel in the HT!  If I could swing it I would buy a 7 channel Wyred for my HT - 3x500, 4x250!!! yowser

The only amp I am still curious to try is a Spectron.  Either way, with my power hungry speakers, having 500+ watts is satisfying.

BTW, I have not found the amps to be sensitive to power cabling.  I am actually using my homemade jumbo hoses on them now.

Airborn

« Reply #52 on: 22 Oct 2008, 04:58 pm »
Thanks, Pete.  Looks like the Agon pair are still available.  Hmm...I wonder if the wife will notice if the amp suddenly changes from all black to silver and black and from one box to two? :scratch:

Nuance

« Reply #53 on: 22 Oct 2008, 08:18 pm »
I still enjoy the amps.  They are dead quiet, have no idiosyncracies except I hated the speaker terminals (and changed them myself with some $15 Parts Express models).  There is a pair on Agon right now for 1800.  I tried to pry one of them out of his hands for the center channel in the HT!  If I could swing it I would buy a 7 channel Wyred for my HT - 3x500, 4x250!!! yowser

The only amp I am still curious to try is a Spectron.  Either way, with my power hungry speakers, having 500+ watts is satisfying.

BTW, I have not found the amps to be sensitive to power cabling.  I am actually using my homemade jumbo hoses on them now.
Do we get to see your jumbo hose, Pete?   :o  :lol:

I am glad that the Wyred amps are still making you grin.  I'm looking into them myself, actually.  I'd also be interested in what your thoughts are on the Spectron amps (if you go that route).  Rydenfan at AVS seems to love his. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:21 pm »
Thanks, Pete.  Looks like the Agon pair are still available.  Hmm...I wonder if the wife will notice if the amp suddenly changes from all black to silver and black and from one box to two? :scratch:

I beat you to it.  I bought them and another one to power the front 3 of my HT!!  Can't have enough power!! :flame: :weights:

Airborn

« Reply #55 on: 24 Oct 2008, 08:50 pm »

I beat you to it.  I bought them and another one to power the front 3 of my HT!!  Can't have enough power!! :flame: :weights:

Congrats, Pete, those looked like a pretty nice deal! :thumb:  I'm jealous. :green:  Circumstances prevented me from bidding on those amps anyway right now, but at least they're getting a good home.  Let us know how they work out as home theater amps.  Do you have a Salk HT?

Edit:  I just saw your equipment in your Sanctum HT, so I guess that answers my questions about the Salks. :duh:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #56 on: 24 Oct 2008, 08:56 pm »

AliG

« Reply #57 on: 24 Oct 2008, 09:55 pm »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #58 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:19 pm »
Long gone!  WHere have you been.

AliG

« Reply #59 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:27 pm »
At first I thought it was gone, but then I still saw it in your pictures, so I'm confused.... so this Wyred4Sound really blow the Passlab out of the water huh?? aa

Long gone!  WHere have you been.