Salk Stream Player

Carl V

Re: Salk Stream Player
« Reply #40 on: 7 Mar 2014, 07:04 pm »
ignorant question alert...
Stream Player, Stream Server...are both needed?
Just the server?
is this dependent on what we have presently?

robcentola

« Reply #41 on: 7 Mar 2014, 08:12 pm »
ignorant question alert...
Stream Player, Stream Server...are both needed?
Just the server?
is this dependent on what we have presently?

I THINK, but I may be wrong. If you have the Player, there's no need for the Streamer. The player come with storage where the Streamer does not.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #42 on: 7 Mar 2014, 08:17 pm »
I have held off on streaming music. I do have a DAC but don't use it. I have been looking at the OPPO 105.

The stream player has had my interest and I do like the approach since the music quality will be the best. Since the stream player only handles audio I would have to forget having a video of music information for list of songs and album information ? I do like the way the OPPO puts this information on screen, I guess I could do without this for a simpler strait forward approach of high quality music. Is there any other way to incorporate the music now playing and artwork video using the Stream Player system?

robcentola

« Reply #43 on: 7 Mar 2014, 09:32 pm »
Yes, if I understand your question correctly. You can view from your phone, tablet, or laptop. It wold be "headless", so there would be no need to a TV.

ernest787

« Reply #44 on: 7 Mar 2014, 09:46 pm »
i'm seriously considering this, just wish it had the Spotify capabilities and then it would be a complete no brainer for me.

jsalk

« Reply #45 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:18 am »
i'm seriously considering this, just wish it had the Spotify capabilities and then it would be a complete no brainer for me.

There is a possibility we may be able to add Spotify capabilities.  There is a linux program called Mopidy that is designed to do just that.  But it runs its own version of MPD (the player app).  I don't know how this would affect the regular performance of the StreamPlayer.  It may be that you have to use one or the other and it may not be possible to run both at the same time (I don't know as I have not had time to work with it yet).  But if they would need to run exclusively, it would probably be possible to use our web interface to switch back and forth between these two (if that is required) players.  I plan on checking into it as soon as I find the time.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #46 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:22 am »

I really like the design of the blue soft light of the "stream" on the player.  It looks very nice at night.  I tried to capture it in the photo, but it came out so so.  The small box next to it with the bright blue dot is my external usb Oyen hard drive (soon to be on back-up duty).

The back inputs are: RS control, 2 ethernet ports, 2 usb inputs and the power input.

Thanks. :)

Saturn94

« Reply #47 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:28 am »
Those are the basic  connections on the embedded processor we use in this unit.  The serial connector is not used and you only need to use one of the Ethernet connectors (take your pick) and either of the USB connectors to hook up your DAC.  Although not recommended for hi-rez playback, you can use the second USB to connect a USB hard drive.

- Jim

Now I'm confused......

If you can't use a USB drive to feed it hi rez music, how do you feed it hi rez files?

Ern Dog

« Reply #48 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:37 am »
There is a possibility we may be able to add Spotify capabilities.  There is a linux program called Mopidy that is designed to do just that.  But it runs its own version of MPD (the player app).  I don't know how this would affect the regular performance of the StreamPlayer.  It may be that you have to use one or the other and it may not be possible to run both at the same time (I don't know as I have not had time to work with it yet).  But if they would need to run exclusively, it would probably be possible to use our web interface to switch back and forth between these two (if that is required) players.  I plan on checking into it as soon as I find the time.

- Jim

Excellent news!  Thanks Jim. I would definitely be interested in this.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #49 on: 8 Mar 2014, 05:10 am »
Now I'm confused......

If you can't use a USB drive to feed it hi rez music, how do you feed it hi rez files?

I thought I was the only one that caught that....also confused...

resonance

« Reply #50 on: 8 Mar 2014, 08:27 am »
Would think that the hi-rez file data comes into the player through one of the Ethernet connections from the computer or NAS to the Stream Player which then streams the hi-rez out via one of the USB ports to your DAC.  Leaves the other USB for another possible input or even another output maybe, but sounds like Jim is saying that it has a limited resolution input if via USB.

ernest787

« Reply #51 on: 8 Mar 2014, 09:50 am »
I am very very intrigued by this possibility.  If it's possible this would be the solution I've been looking for over the last year. Between spotify and my digital library I'd be completely set. And it would be great to have these capabilities in the same device rather than using two differnt components

- Jim

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 8 Mar 2014, 12:42 pm »
Now that DSD seems to be supported.  This seems to be a no brainer at its price point.

jsalk

« Reply #53 on: 8 Mar 2014, 02:15 pm »
Now I'm confused......

If you have a StreamPlayer with a built-in drive, you don't need a USB drive to store music.  If you have your files on another computer or a network storage device (NAS) of some kind, the StreamPlayer mounts that "shared" drive via an Ethernet connection to your router as if it were internal to the StreamPlayer.  (The Ethernet connection can be direct to your router, or through a power line extender or a wireless extender.)

While you can use an attached USB drive to store music (as Ern Dog is doing), we don't recommend using one for DSD playback because it would be using the same USB circuit to both read files from the drive and output the files to the DAC at the same time.  There is only so much bandwidth available.  It would work, but you would likely experience some drop-outs.

(I am constantly playing with different hardware platforms, some more powerful, some less so.  If we ever release a new version of the StreamPlayer, it will likely have multiple USB circuits, so this would not be as much of an issue.  Of course, it will probably have a built in drive as standard anyway.) 

You might ask, how do you get the files onto a built-in drive in the first place?  That is easy.  If you download the files (or rip them) on a computer on your network, the StreamPlayer shows up as a network drive on that computer.  So you simply store the files in the StreamPlayer's music directory as if it were a drive on your computer. It would show up in your "Network" on a Windows computer and in the Finder on a MAC.  You would work with it just like you would work with any drive inside your computer.

I use dbPoweramp (the best) to rip CD's on a Windows computer.  In the dbPoweramp set-up, you specify where the files will be stored and how you want the storage set up.  I have it setup to store them directly onto the internal drive in my StreamPlayer as if it were a local drive.  I insert a CD, hit "rip" and my files are automatically compressed (flac by choice) and stored in directories (folders) by artist name, then by album name under that and finally the music files themselves, including cover art.  As far as dbPoweramp knows, the StreamPlayer it is just another drive in my computer.

I should note that there are some very nice Linux programs that can rip CD's as well.  But that would require a CD drive in the player and with the StreamPlayer, I wanted to keep things as simple as possible.  There is no limit to what you can add to a player, but you pay a price in cost, complexity and stability.

I hope that answers your question.

- Jim

gregcss

« Reply #54 on: 8 Mar 2014, 02:36 pm »
Would the StreamServer (used as the player) benefit from a linear power supply?

Saturn94

« Reply #55 on: 8 Mar 2014, 04:17 pm »
If you have a StreamPlayer with a built-in drive, you don't need a USB drive to store music.  If you have your files on another computer or a network storage device (NAS) of some kind, the StreamPlayer mounts that "shared" drive via an Ethernet connection to your router as if it were internal to the StreamPlayer.  (The Ethernet connection can be direct to your router, or through a power line extender or a wireless extender.)

While you can use an attached USB drive to store music (as Ern Dog is doing), we don't recommend using one for DSD playback because it would be using the same USB circuit to both read files from the drive and output the files to the DAC at the same time.  There is only so much bandwidth available.  It would work, but you would likely experience some drop-outs.

(I am constantly playing with different hardware platforms, some more powerful, some less so.  If we ever release a new version of the StreamPlayer, it will likely have multiple USB circuits, so this would not be as much of an issue.  Of course, it will probably have a built in drive as standard anyway.) 

You might ask, how do you get the files onto a built-in drive in the first place?  That is easy.  If you download the files (or rip them) on a computer on your network, the StreamPlayer shows up as a network drive on that computer.  So you simply store the files in the StreamPlayer's music directory as if it were a drive on your computer. It would show up in your "Network" on a Windows computer and in the Finder on a MAC.  You would work with it just like you would work with any drive inside your computer.

I use dbPoweramp (the best) to rip CD's on a Windows computer.  In the dbPoweramp set-up, you specify where the files will be stored and how you want the storage set up.  I have it setup to store them directly onto the internal drive in my StreamPlayer as if it were a local drive.  I insert a CD, hit "rip" and my files are automatically compressed (flac by choice) and stored in directories (folders) by artist name, then by album name under that and finally the music files themselves, including cover art.  As far as dbPoweramp knows, the StreamPlayer it is just another drive in my computer.

I should note that there are some very nice Linux programs that can rip CD's as well.  But that would require a CD drive in the player and with the StreamPlayer, I wanted to keep things as simple as possible.  There is no limit to what you can add to a player, but you pay a price in cost, complexity and stability.

I hope that answers your question.

- Jim

Thanks Jim.  That does help.

You mentioned DSD may be an issue using the USB input.  What about high res FLAC files (not particularly interested in DSD files)?  Is there a resolution limit you would suggest using the USB, or is it not a good idea to use the USB input at all?

Every time I start researching streaming options I usually just end up thoroughly confused and give up.  I don't get along with computers very well....lol.  I did manage to set up a Logitech Touch about a year or so ago, but I like to be able to get away from having to have a computer on all the time.  I do like the sound I get from it though.

It would be nice to just have an easy to use single component to hook directly to my pre/pro.  But I understand with a Salk player I would also need a USB DAC.  Would a USB/SPDIF converter work?

jsalk

« Reply #56 on: 8 Mar 2014, 06:22 pm »
Thanks Jim.  That does help.

You mentioned DSD may be an issue using the USB input.  What about high res FLAC files (not particularly interested in DSD files)?  Is there a resolution limit you would suggest using the USB, or is it not a good idea to use the USB input at all?

I doubt there would be any issues up to 24/96.  There probably wouldn't be any at up to 24/192 either, but I haven't really spent a lot of time testing that scenario.  I'll add it to my list of "things to do when I get a chance."

It would be nice to just have an easy to use single component to hook directly to my pre/pro.  But I understand with a Salk player I would also need a USB DAC.  Would a USB/SPDIF converter work?

I assume you have a DAC with an S/PDIF input.  If I recall, Frank Van Alstine had a USB/S/PDIF converter so he could drive his DAC with one of our StreamPlayers (without installing a special USB board in his DAC).  It worked well at RMAF when we used it, but I don't recall if it handled 24/192.  I'm sure it handled 24/96.  Frank's DAC is not a DSD DAC, so I don't know about that either.  I am playing with a processor board right now that has built-in S/PDIF ins and outs.  I have never tried using it this way, but this board would likely drive an S/PDIF input to a DAC.  I'll add that to my list to check out as well.

- Jim

PMAT

« Reply #57 on: 8 Mar 2014, 06:31 pm »
This is an important thread for me and others like me. Thanks Jim. This product is likely to be my step into computer audio.

Austin08

« Reply #58 on: 8 Mar 2014, 06:57 pm »
Jim,

Is the streamer player work with multichannel dsd files?

yetis

« Reply #59 on: 8 Mar 2014, 08:05 pm »
Are you asking of you can plug it into one of these?
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/539-exasound-e28-multichannel-usb-dac-review/

Don't they need a special driver to handle mulri channel audio?