Leap of Faith Required to Build Aksonics

MarinRider

« on: 2 Jan 2003, 04:39 pm »
I built a 100W AKSA with Nirvana upgrade last year and it's absolutely superb, my 2 X Linn LK140 power amps (UK£750 each) have been sold and my system sounds very much better. The question is: Can the Aksonic speakers trounce my £1000 Linn Ninka speakers in the same way?

The Ninka's sound great with good recordings played at high levels, but closed-in and boxy at normal levels and with average recordings. I'm looking for something that's more open sounding, with excellent musicallity and timing - just like the AKSA in fact!

Here are my concerns with the Aksonics:

Can the box really be optimised correctly when the volume can be changed from 18L to 28L?
Is the speaker mechanically stable? Can it provide tight clean bass without carpet piercing spikes?
If the back panel is "floating" doesn't it resonate with the music?
Why doesn't Hugh Dean use them (apparently he uses another Ron Newbound design with a D'Appolito arrangement)?
Does anyone have experience of comparing Aksonics to commercial speakers that they are willing to share?

On a practical note can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Aksonics and what sort of efficiency to expect?

In my experience/opinion gems like the AKSA are rare and many supposed DIY giant killers are only capable of tackling the runtiest of giants (e.g. the ART DI/O fell  somewhat short of my expectations). As I'm unable to audition the Aksonics, how can I feel confident they will fall into the Goliath slaying category?

Hope you can help.

econ

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2003, 10:22 pm »
Can the box really be optimised correctly when the volume can be changed from 18L to 28L?      Yes, you can also decide if you want it to function as a vented box or a closed box.

Is the speaker mechanically stable?    As in does it fall over when you stand it up ? :P       Build it with good materials . I used 20mm high grade plywood.  ,circular saw with guide and good blade will give fine , precise,splinter free ,no-need-to-sand cuts.

Can it provide tight clean bass without carpet piercing spikes?   Yes  

If the back panel is "floating" doesn't it resonate with the music?    No ,the back panel is firmly held between the two side panels .The side panels are squeezed together with the back panel between them by three steel rods with button head nuts to secure them. No resonance at all.

Why doesn't Hugh Dean use them (apparently he uses another Ron Newbound design with a D'Appolito arrangement)?

Does anyone have experience of comparing Aksonics to commercial speakers that they are willing to share?  Try this link and search in harmonic discord.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~macinc/gm%202001.htm#july01

[/quote]

footprint on the floor  330 mm deep 240 mm wide
height 900 mm

econ

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2003, 01:54 am »
HI David,

Thank you for your post.  Good questions, challenging, but good.

"Can the box really be optimised correctly when the volume can be changed from 18L to 28L?

Yes, certainly.  It is merely a matter of selecting different settings over a range of recordings and a couple of nights and you will soon work out your preferences.

"Is the speaker mechanically stable? Can it provide tight clean bass without carpet piercing spikes?

Yes, though it's all relative.  If you like rock music at high levels, I'd say no, however, a sub is needed to supplement it.  It is, after all, a 7" speaker with a 1" tweeter;  the laws of physics are immutable and bass to 20Hz is not possible.  The 3dB point is 43Hz.

"If the back panel is "floating" doesn't it resonate with the music?

Absolutely not.  The back panel is sandwiched between the sides with three beefy metal rods, screwed in hard.  There is no resonance or boxiness at all.

"Why doesn't Hugh Dean use them (apparently he uses another Ron Newbound design with a D'Appolito arrangement)?

This is not quite true.  The AKSonic was developed after I had already purchased two exceptional speakers, which cater well to my needs for development (rather than listening).  Ron designed the crossovers for both, in fact, and I do from time to time use the AKSonics in my system when he lends me his reference, and I have to say that my favourite ears, (belonging to a good friend), feel the AKSonics are better than anything else I've had in my listening room.  Personally, I marvel at the extraordinary sound stage they contruct, and the high resolution, particularly at normal listening levels, which is a deficiency in my MTMs, which excel at parties (read:  Rock 'n Roll) but fall down on detail and sound stage.

I do plan to build some, actually, and also Ron's sub-woofer which will also be offered as a kitset.  Like anyone else, I have to consider the WAF and the dollars!!

"On a practical note can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Aksonics and what sort of efficiency to expect?

Paul kindly gave the measurements;  eficiency is 87dB/watt/meter.  Load varies across the audio range from 6 to 10 ohms;  benign load.  With his sub, which we trialled recently, the combination is astonishing, particularly when you consider the price, which may not remain low for too long as it is quite expensive to make the crossovers.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hugh

MarinRider

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2003, 05:45 pm »
Thanks Econ and Hugh,

I'm really stuck on the fence on this one.

On the one hand I have great belief in Aspen products, on the other hand(IMO) there are tons of good loudspeakers around but few truly great ones. Lots have amazing bass or wonderfull highs or whatever but only a select few just make great music.

Somebody compared the Aksonics to Aeriels (spelling?) and SL600s. Whilst not wishing to be rude I have never heard a good sounding transmission line and SL600s, although in hifi terms are good, don't have the magic element for me (although I have not heard them for about 10 years).

If it was anyone else's unheard design I would forget it straight away but since it's Hugh's (or Ron's) I guess I'll just have to stew in my own indecision.

Dave

Rocket

take a punt
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2003, 11:49 pm »
hello marinrider,

i recently had the aksa 100 built and i'm really happy with it.

i haven't heard aksonics and cannot offer an opinion for you.  but when it come to diy you basically have to take a punt and hope everything turns out okay.

i believe that it would cost about $800 au for the xover and all the necessary parts plus some valuable time.  if you compare how much you linn's have cost you i'm sure you will agree that it is a small investment.

anyway if they don't sound as good as you want they can alway be used for ht.

good luck with your decision.

regards

rod

ps i like to take chances i've bought the perpetual technologies dac and aksa in the last 12 months and have been happy twice.

StevieM

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:59 pm »
Hi Marinrider,

I've just ordered a pair of Aksonics, and they will be in the UK by the end of January. Construction will be in slowtime alas, as I will be waiting for free offcuts of plywood (you can't rush these things!) plus I've a full time job and Open University course to contend with. I went through the same sort of deliberations as yourself, but the deciding factor for me was that they can be individually tuned to suit taste/room etc. This is important to me as my listening area is an awkward one to site speakers in.
If you live within easy travelling distance of Southampton then you will be welcome to come and listen. I will post my impressions here, but it probably won't be until March/April.

Steve