STA-9

Samac

Re: STA-9
« Reply #280 on: 15 May 2017, 08:57 pm »
I planned to buy Ref 20, but some circumstances were against me this year.

For the moment I have great space for manoeuvring:
1) I may add 2 pcs of STA-9;
2) I may start to jump to Ref 20 (2 or even 4 pcs).

But for the moment I gonna wait.

Either set-up would be excellent, I'm sure. Look forward to seeing how you go.

Cheers,

Scott

John Casler

« Reply #281 on: 15 May 2017, 09:47 pm »
I might jump in here and mention, that I am currently using a Pair of STA-9 bridged to Mono, in evaluating the new EVOKE Ruby speakers and the combination is WOW!  :o :o

I might add that my "favorite" NuPRIME amp that I have had in my system is the "bridged" K-38, but if it sounds better in this current set up, I will be thrilled.

I also have to try the ST-10, and I have a pair of "still in the box" STA-6, which I plan to also review bridged to 190wpc.

But, my point in commenting, is the absolute incredible SONICS coming from these STA-9 pair with this particular speaker.

In the pecking order of NuPRIME amps, they "should" in most systems be above the STA-6, but slightly below the ST-10, and K-38.

Now this "pecking order" is based basically on price, because as most know, these amps all have slightly different components and stages that offer some sonic qualities that might be preferred.

It is hard to believe the quality of sound now available for these pricing levels.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #282 on: 16 May 2017, 09:28 am »

I also have to try the ST-10, and I have a pair of "still in the box" STA-6, which I plan to also review bridged to 190wpc.

I thought about STA-6, but there is no XLR inputs.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #283 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:06 am »
I read all the topic but the experiences goes from one stereo sta-9 to monoblock mode with 2 sta-9 ... but biamping configuration with 2 stereo sta-9 offers another option.

Yes, you need speakers with 2 pairs of terminals and a preamp with a+b outputs, but in modern times this usually happens.
Somebody test the difference between biamping and monoblock mode with 2 sta-9?

srb

« Reply #285 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:16 pm »

I haven't tested it with the STA-9, but with most 2-way speakers having such a small relative percentage of total power used by the tweeter, testing passive bi-amping with several other amplifiers has always fallen short of the performance gained by having a single more powerful amplifier channel driving both speaker drivers.

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #286 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:13 pm »

Although each system and set up is different, IN GENERAL, the "bridged" STA-9 should sound better than the "stereo" configuration.

This is not just because of power distribution, but because "bridging" the amp actually IMPROVES some of the performance qualities.

For example THD improves - (from 0.02% (Stereo) / 0.01% (Mono) - when bridged as do some of the other specs.

As well power output, (thus headroom) more than doubles from 120wpc to 290wpc.

So it is likely that your use would benefit from the bridged performance.

in1unison

« Reply #287 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:27 pm »
Dealer from NZ has different take on STA-9 bridged vs. bi-amped although he does not specify if test was done on 2 or 3-way speakers. Neither is he clear if bi-amping is horizontal or vertical.

http://totallywired.co.nz/nuprime_sta_9.html

Eisener Bart

« Reply #288 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:40 am »
I may say much more about STA-9 now (bi-amping and bridged modes).

Unfortunately I am already 2 weeks at sea with shity Internet. I will prepare post, even with photos, and upload later.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #289 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:55 am »
Thanks for the answers ... it seems that monoblock configuration wins on preferences :-)

Eisener Bart

« Reply #290 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:59 am »
Thanks for the answers ... it seems that monoblock configuration wins on preferences :-)

not in all respects.

in1unison

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:38 am »
@Sergii

Thanks, looking forward to your test report.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #292 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:43 am »
not in all respects.

Yes, we wait your opinions in your test (hungrily  :lol:)

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #293 on: 9 Jul 2017, 03:44 am »
My first post. Have been using the Marantz PM Pearl Lite (PL)/ SA8005 combi for some years, and just added the Nuprime Dac10. Using it as DAC into the amp. Found it too cold albeit with more detail compared to using the SA8005 dac. Was thinking of adding the ST-10, but worries it will be even "colder" if the PL is removed from the equation. Would 2x sta9 bring back some warmth but retain the details?? My speakers are Harbeth SHL5plus.

JackD

« Reply #294 on: 9 Jul 2017, 03:58 am »
Tan

I've owned the 10 combo for well over a year and cold is not at all how I would describe them.  They are neutral which is a good thing to me.  The Harbeth's should be "warm" enough on their own unless you want to go way in that direction.  I would order the ST-10 from somewhere that has a 30 day return policy and try it instead of the STA-9.  You need to leave it powered on though to get the best sound and the same is true of the DAC-10.

dspringham

« Reply #295 on: 9 Jul 2017, 05:02 am »
JackD is exactly right. I have the Nuprime 10 combo as well and it is not "cool' to my ears in any way. As far as Harbeth goes? - a fine match with my 40.1's which have a nice natural warmth on their own. The Nuprime 10 pair certainly doesn't tilt the balance any further in that direction. Just right I would say.

Dave

JackD

« Reply #296 on: 9 Jul 2017, 05:25 am »
Tan

I own the Marantz HD-CD1 which has the exact same DAC section as the 8005 so I am familiar.  I wouldn't think either one to have a DAC section anywhere near that in the DAC-10.  I only listened to the internal DAC for a couple of discs and then moved on. Don't get drawn into the added power of the 9 mono's as you don't need it and quantity over quality in this case may not be a good thing.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #297 on: 9 Jul 2017, 06:08 am »
Hi, Raymond.

How long have you had the DAC-10?

I ask because it's been my experience that DACs tend to need at least 100 hours to burn in, and as many as 250+ hours to fully burn in. Prior o full burn in, a whole range of unpleasant sounds may be heard. These include tinniness, brightness, dull midrange, goofy bass (yes, goofy is an audiophile word), strident highs, toilet bowl echoes, flat uninteresting music, and who knows what else?

If you haven't run it 200 hours already, keep using it, and keep it turned on all the time. Turning it off overnight results in 'off' music until everything warms up inside.

Best of luck!

Michael

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #298 on: 9 Jul 2017, 04:41 pm »
Raymond, I was myself reluctant to acknowledge what Michael is saying, but I found it to be true nonetheless.

But to answer to your original question, yes! A pair of STA-9s would be warmer than a single ST-10, as per NuPrime's own chart.  It would retain most of the characteristics but with slightly reduced stage, bass extension... you can check the trade offs in the comparison chart.

But if warm is what you are after, there are a lot of people very happy with a pair of STA-9s, so I'm assuming you can't go wrong that way.

I do find the 10s to be neutral rather than cold, but if you think the DAC-10 cold (which I agree is a personal taste!), then by all means the STA-9s will help in that sense!

Best regards,
Rafa.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #299 on: 10 Jul 2017, 03:35 am »
Thanks, Jack, Dave, Michael and Rafa for taking the time to read and post your thoughts. I bought the dac10 from Singapore and has less then 100 hours on it yet. Tried it as a pre with my A30 and PL as power amp and as a dac into the PL, both had given me more details, without doubt, but either it's not fully broken in yet, or, I'm having a new auditory experience, is a big question. I am listening to Allan Taylor now as I'm writing this reply, and as mentioned getting amazing details. There is no chance for any "trials/return" as I return to Singapore only twice a year. Guess I'll let it burn in more and hopefully get used to the more neutral sound, then decide on which to add. Thanks again and sorry for a long read.