Cornet Question (upgrades)

mgalusha

« on: 4 Jun 2003, 03:57 am »
Jim,

Just wondering if the mods you do for the premium version of the Cornet are available to those who buy a kit? In particular the constant current source you are adding.

I have plans to order a Cornet kit and would like to build it with the CCS included if possible.

Thanks!

hagtech

Cornet upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2003, 07:12 pm »
Yes, the premium version upgrades are available to anyone making the kit.  Some of it is outlines in the Cornet manual.  For example, the first things you can do are improving on the output coupling capacitor and changing the RCA jacks to gold plated.

Then there are upgrades for the other capacitors and resistors, whatever you might prefer.  I find each customer has their own tastes and favorite brands.  That's why I leave the design as open as possible for subtitutes.  There is plenty of room in the chassis and on the circuit board.

The current source is quite simple and replaces the 30k pulldown resistor in the output cathode follower:

Use a small heat sink on the transistor.  Following photo shows my implementation of current source in premium unit:

I'll be moving other items from my "tips" page to this forum as time permits.

jh

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2003, 09:42 pm »
Thanks Jim, that's the best answer I could hope for. A schematic and a picture, very good of you. :D

Mike G.

pufff

Bipolar or Fets current source?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2003, 01:34 pm »
Maybe a stupid question but most of other current sources I had looked at use fets. Are there differences?

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2003, 11:59 pm »
I would guess there are two reasons; MOSFETs can be made to handle higher voltages and are easier to drive.  Other than that, it comes down to personal preference and marketing gimmicks.

Both types of devices will work equally well.  I chose a fixed, unregulated current sink (feedback is not something I wanted in the Cornet).  The KISS principal skewed the design to implement a single NPN device using the existing 6.3V heater supply as a reference.  I added an RC filter on the base to remove any residual supply ripple (5mV).  The C also reduces the effects of Miller capacitance.  

jh

pufff

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2003, 07:34 am »
Thanks for the answer. I building a part of your Cornet design. But it had to fit in my intergrated Dynaco  SCA35 amp. So I go for the 2 ecc 83 only. The RIAA was out when I got it.

I thought of moving a current source to the last stage of the ECC 83 instead. Would that be a good idea?
If the sound and dynamics are as I like, I guess it would be a good idea to buy the iRiaa to get the riaa curve right?

hagtech

Beware current sources
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2003, 02:34 am »
Putting current sources as plate loads will change the EQ.  Presently EQ is dependent on the rp of the tube (running without cathode bypass), the plate resistor, and the grid bias of the following stage in parallel.  Removing the plate resistance may make the result too high requiring a different capacitor value.  It will also be noiser (more hiss).

Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where things work against each other.  Grid bias current wants to see a low impedance, the EQ likes to have well defined impednace, noise likes low impedance, and the tube load should be as high as possible.  So we want both very high and very low resistance at the same time.  It is best not to go to either extreme.  

The best solution is actually both.  High and low impedance at the same time.  As far as I know, the only way to do this is with a plate choke or transformer.

The Cornet is a very carefully tuned circuit that puts tube bias, plate load, etc. all in harmony for optimal results in that configuration.  Yes, you can do better with plate chokes.  Going to a balanced design will also help (Trumpet).  Interstage transformers may work out better than coupling caps.  Higher B+ helps, too.  There are always compromises in any design.  The goal of the Cornet was super low cost all tube design with minimal performance loss.  I could have made it without tube rectification or a cathode follower, but that would have been a performance degradation.  Besides, the cost of a time delay relay circuit for high voltage isn't that much cheaper than a 5Y3.  For me, it's all about elegance and simplicity.

jh

pufff

Huh, not easy
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2003, 08:21 pm »
Thanks again for an informative answer. I'm interested in learning some more about tubes so it was a good answer.
I have ordered a iRIAA filter, and will try to learn by making a phono preamp. Still I will take your schematic on the Cornet as a starting point.
My main goal is to beat the LC Audio Riaa I got with when buying a tube poweramp. I think its a bit to boring.

RogueAngel

CCS Applicability
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2003, 09:45 pm »
Jim,

Is the above diagram for CCS for the regular version of the Cornet also usable on the Octal version? If so, is that a mod you would recommend performing to the Octal?

Bobbi

hagtech

Octal
« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2003, 08:07 pm »
For the octal, use 510 ohms instead of the 1k.  I run the 6SN7 at double the current.  Might need a better heat sink for the transistor.

jh :)

RogueAngel

CCS Capacitor
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2003, 05:54 pm »
Jim,

What would be the effect of using a larger, say 470 uf, capacitor in lieu of the 100 uf you show in the schematic?

TIA,
Bobbi

hagtech

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2003, 07:08 am »
470uF?  No difference.  Use either one.

jh :)