ssr

drmike

ssr
« on: 4 Apr 2007, 12:41 am »
hey rick,
just hooked up one (finished with no finish) ssr.
wow!!!!
crystal clear, superb!
construction on the other box is progressing, i'll keep you posted.
thanks rick,
michael stevener

DSK

Re: ssr
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2007, 12:54 am »
Hey Michael, Congratulations! You're gonna love 'em! I've been listening to mine for nearly 6 months now and I'm extremely happy.  :D

My sister-in-law had my digital camera most of the time that I was building mine so I only got to take a few pics. Did you manage to take some pics during your project to put up in your gallery?

drmike

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2007, 01:00 am »
hey dsk,
your box idea is awesome, i will try to post some pictures of the next cabinet build.
i did add 3/4" bb ply to the front and back (northcreek cab), this is one solid cabinet.
thanks for your help,
drmike

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:33 am »
They'll only get better as you break them in.  The upper mids relax a lot and the bottom end comes out more.  I've been running the ones Rick sent out for audition for several weeks now.  Everyone who's heard them says the same thing - wow, that's a lot of sound for a 6" 2 way!  They image extremely well.  They're very revealing of what drives them.  When I switched over to the Odyssey Mono Extreme SE's they really snapped to attention and totally disappeared. 

I think they're a tremendous value built.  As a kit, I don't know what else would touch them.

Bryan

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2007, 05:46 pm »
hey rick,
just hooked up one (finished with no finish) ssr.
wow!!!!
crystal clear, superb!
construction on the other box is progressing, i'll keep you posted.
thanks rick,
michael stevener

Thanks for your positive comments. The SSR is our best-selling kit and now you know why  :D

Kris

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2007, 09:40 pm »
What version you guys are using, sealed or ported? I' m going the ported route, and then plug the port for use as a satellite/sub. I don't think the larger box is gonna hurt the mids.
 Anxiously waiting for my own kit.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2007, 10:02 pm »
The ones I have are ported.  I can easily use foam port plugs and tighten things up for use with a sub.  Don't get me wrong, they're plenty tight on their own - just a matter of taste and associated electronics.

Bryan

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2007, 10:19 pm »
What version you guys are using, sealed or ported? I' m going the ported route, and then plug the port for use as a satellite/sub. I don't think the larger box is gonna hurt the mids.
 Anxiously waiting for my own kit.

I would advise against sealing the port, especially if you don't plan to use an active high pass filter or bass management. Sealing it will create an overdamped / low "Q" alignment which could overdrive the woofer at higher listening levels. If you plan to go sealed and use a subwoofer the smaller sealed box is the best cabinet volume to use.

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2007, 10:30 pm »
Rick,

A question, if you don't mind...

Would the crossover need to change when going to a sealed design in a smaller cabinet? (The baffle size is 10 X 17 for the PE .75 cu. ft. cabinet if I recall correctly.) Or would a special cabinet with a 9" baffle be required? (The other .75 cu. ft. cabinet from PE has an 8" baffle, I think  :scratch:)

WEEZ

Cacophonix

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2007, 10:44 pm »
I'm glad that i'm in line for the SSR as well.
It is modified in the sense that the top section is sealed SSR, but the bottom section is made of a dual dayton RS180 woofers powered with 300w BASH amplifier. It'll be used in a 2 ch HT setup.

I'm sure it'll sound awesome! :green: :green:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2007, 11:35 pm »
Rick,

A question, if you don't mind...

Would the crossover need to change when going to a sealed design in a smaller cabinet? (The baffle size is 10 X 17 for the PE .75 cu. ft. cabinet if I recall correctly.) Or would a special cabinet with a 9" baffle be required? (The other .75 cu. ft. cabinet from PE has an 8" baffle, I think  :scratch:)

WEEZ

The .75 PE cabinet should be fine with little or no crossover changes (9" baffle for the ported cabinet). Madisound also has a cabinet that's 21" x 9" x11" that could be used sealed.

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2007, 11:42 pm »
Rick, you lost me :oops:

Your SSR uses a 1.0 cu. ft. cabinet with a 9" w baffle. The (2) choices for a.75 cu. ft. cabinet from PE are either 10" or 8" wide. So are you saying it's best to stay with a 9" baffle? Even if sealed?

WEEZ

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2007, 11:47 pm »
Rick, you lost me :oops:

Your SSR uses a 1.0 cu. ft. cabinet with a 9" w baffle. The (2) choices for a.75 cu. ft. cabinet from PE are either 10" or 8" wide. So are you saying it's best to stay with a 9" baffle? Even if sealed?

WEEZ

The two cabinets from PE and Madisound (.70-.75 cubic ft.) are the suggested sealed box cabinets. A 9-10" baffle is fine whether sealed or ported. I have the PE cabinets in various sizes so I could easily test the 10" wide baffle.

WEEZ

« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2007, 11:55 pm »
Sorry to be a pain in the a** :lol:

WEEZ!