I'm stepping down

Mag

I'm stepping down
« on: 13 Sep 2018, 04:55 am »
I'm stepping down as moderator of the Music Circle. What has typically been the most active circle on the forum has generated very little response other than views.

So I have to believe it's either my personality or approach to audio that has turned people off. Perhaps I peed off the streamers being that I take the audiophile approach of seeking high fidelity. I see streaming as a  step backwards. I believe in time digital technology advancements will improve streaming to high fidelity standards.

Also perhaps it's time to cater to a younger generation of music lovers. I'm stuck in the '70's, '80's and not willing to embrace current popular music.

I've been an Audio Circle member since July 24, 2003. I joined at that time because the site at that time seemed to cater more to audiophiles rather than the vintage crowd. But it seems that membership has aged and moved on.

So perhaps a new direction, personality, new blood is in order.

Mag

martyo

Re: I'm stepping down
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:36 am »
I'm stepping down as moderator of the Music Circle. What has typically been the most active circle on the forum has generated very little response other than views.

So I have to believe it's either my personality or approach to audio that has turned people off. Perhaps I peed off the streamers being that I take the audiophile approach of seeking high fidelity. I see streaming as a  step backwards. I believe in time digital technology advancements will improve streaming to high fidelity standards.

Also perhaps it's time to cater to a younger generation of music lovers. I'm stuck in the '70's, '80's and not willing to embrace current popular music.

I've been an Audio Circle member since July 24, 2003. I joined at that time because the site at that time seemed to cater more to audiophiles rather than the vintage crowd. But it seems that membership has aged and moved on.

So perhaps a new direction, personality, new blood is in order.

Mag

Thanks for serving. I don't think it's you but a couple of your comments are very true of the site and the membership. I'm 67, but streaming is way cool and "in the now". Earlier this summer, 15 minutes after a set had finished you could stream  the opening tune from each set for free on youtube or nugs from the Dead and Co tour. The membership has certainly aged and there are those who have trouble embracing much of anything current or new. (Good recent example was Franks thread on his Tesla excitement). Times change and this site is really more of a manufacturers site these days than when you joined.

Thanks again.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2018, 12:27 pm »
Thanks for your service as well

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2018, 02:39 pm »
Thank you for your service!  I hope that you feel accomplished and not somber about your contribution.  I have seen so many things in the Audiophile community over the past 30 years of my involvement; e.g.  movements, trends, cycles, etc. Who knows what's next.  I am more committed to vinyl now than digital and I couldn't have said that five years ago.  Thank you again

JCarney

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2018, 02:58 pm »
I agree with mg8, you should feel good about your contribution. The fact that you are willing to question wether or not you are doing a good job speaks volumes as to the quality of your character. You done good, now go have a cold one.

JCarney

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2018, 03:22 pm »
Mag,

I'm sorry to learn of this decision. I enjoy your posts even though I seldom post in this circle. I hope you continue to post on AC. I love your profile pic BTW!  :lol:

Michael

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2018, 03:50 pm »
You had a good run as moderator. I have to admit my posting in the music circle dropped off drastically a while ago. It had nothing to do with your moderating,I assure you. In fact, I would say you were an unseen moderator, which I see as the ultimate compliment for a moderator.

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2018, 06:57 pm »
IMHO, mods normally don't (and shouldn't) affect the number of posts.

I have to admit to not following the music circle that closely, but I have no reason to believe that Megs is any different.

It seems like in general, activity is down at AC.   I hardly post here myself.

Randy

SlushPuppy

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2018, 10:16 pm »
Moderators only affect post counts when they are heavy-handed and regularly quarantine posts. I don't recall you ever doing that. Thanks for volunteering.

jkelly

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2018, 10:29 pm »
Thank you for your service.

Jeff

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:06 pm »
Its too bad Bro, the frequency of messages is variable, goes up and down.
I have several personal and health problems and at the moment and I can not take this Circle, but I am sure someone qualified will appear.
Regards

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:37 pm »
Mag, Thanks for your volunteer efforts on behalf of us all. As others have noted, if you're only looking at post count, then over the last couple of years some of our most prolific posters in the listening threads have tapered off. This has nothing to do with you as facilitator/moderator, simply life changes, priorities change, and even old habits sometimes change. Music and how it's listened to certainly have.

Anyway, I don't believe you are in any way responsible for a decrease in posting numbers. You've done a good job, and will be missed as a caring moderator. Thanks again.   :thumb: 

Question - so how many more beers does it take to get your orang as relaxed as your cat ?    :wink:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:55 pm »
Posting counting maybe not important,
quality usually count instead quantity.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2018, 01:09 am »
I agree with what everyone else has said.
Lack of traffic or posting certainly is no reflection on you.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2018, 01:53 am »
Great responses after the fact.
I'll say this, I spent 6 hours uploading a video that nobody watched maybe 1 or 2 before it got blocked.
I can make better use of my time, and I'm out of ideas anyway for posts to try and generate some interest.
Audiophilia appears to be dead, replaced by streaming, iphones, gaming, etc.. I'm in mourning.  :cry:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2018, 02:10 am »
Seems you are not supposed to generate some interest, ideas or Circle traffic, at least by the little I know.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2018, 02:14 am »
"The Music Circle" has existed on AudioCircle, through thick and thin, for nearly 16 years. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53.0

I volunteer for a few Circles here, so I'm just sharing my thoughts - no disrespect implied or intended in any way.

I don't think it's reasonable for anyone to think that they can *groom* a Circle into something they and others really like in less than five months, especially when the Circle has existed as long as this one has.

Again, that's JMHO. Personally, I think you should stick with it for a couple of years, at least.

Nonetheless, thanks for watching out for the Circle for the time you have. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2018, 02:37 am »
Audiophilia appears to be dead, replaced by streaming, iphones, gaming, etc.. I'm in mourning.  :cry:

Audiophilia isn't dead; it just smells funny (to borrow the title of a thread I started a few years back).

Music is eternal. So is interest in music. And I know young people who are interested in putting together quality audio playback systems. One is 30 (which is young to me  :cry: ) and is experimenting with vintage audio and DIY speakers.

However, when they go to a show (the only way to be exposed to quality audio for many) they are confronted with the implication that not only do they have to spend in the mid-five-figures (the mean price of the systems I tabulated at the 2016 Capital Audiofest was $58K), but they have to spend $1K just to get the electricity out of the wall. (Not to single out CAF; other shows appear to be little different, judging from show reports). I have gotten a number of young audiophiles to check out the show- but I can't get them to go back.

So they buy 'smart speakers' (a market that is growing by leaps and bounds) and are done with it.

This is what is killing the audio hobby.